Statendaam condition/ Jim Hannah

rxralph

It's been a year so things may have changed. When we were on it in Asia, it had a drydock a couple months prior. I don't know the drydock schedule since however.

IMHO... sorry, but it was looking pretty rough especially for HAL standards. There was broken glass on the pool roof, elevators didn't work, the escalator didn't work, a hot tub didn't work, the carpet was only partially changed out with the rest of the new carpet out on deck waiting a chance to install it later. There was a blownout window in the dining room... need I continue?

The crew must have been working their buns off to keep her together. I really don't fault them. But either they hit a heck of a storm to break a lot of physical stuff, or the head office really screwed up the drydock to not complete all the needed items. I don't see how the crew can be responsible for fixing broken custom glass for instance - something bigger must have been going on.

Our cruise was lovely none the less. We didn't stress at all. But I do hope others can report she's been repaired properly in the last year. I've been on the Rotterdam and Ryndam since then and neither had such issues - and they're not spring chickens if you know what I mean.

We had a tour of the Statendam in 2007 while it was docked here in Vancouver. It was in good shape, but I personally found it to be a very dark ship, particularly in the public rooms and atrium. I would sail on her, but probably not on a long cruise. Just my humble opinion.

I have photos here if you're interested in having a look:

http://homepage.mac.com/atomicaaron/StatendamTour/Menu59.html

There was broken glass on the pool roof, elevators didn't work, the escalator didn't work, a hot tub didn't work, the carpet was only partially changed out with the rest of the new carpet out on deck waiting a chance to install it later. There was a blownout window in the dining room... need I continue?

The crew must have been working their buns off to keep her together. I really don't fault them. But either they hit a heck of a storm to break a lot of physical stuff, or the head office really screwed up the drydock to not complete all the needed items.

We were on her in Sep 07, about 3 months before the dry dock, and didn't notice any of the things you cited. Of course, we were never in the hot tub or the lower dining room (if that's where the broken window was) so I could have missed those ... or as you suggested they might have happened later. The worst thing we encountered on her was a sewage smell whenever the steward left the bathtub stopper opened.

We were on Statendam for two weeks in Dec., and she was in excellent shape. Thought I was fairly observant of upkeep issues, but sure missed seeing broken windows and such. Even the carpeting was in good condition and quite devoid of stains. Having just returned from the Disney Wonder, whose main area carpeting was noticeably soiled, I know dirty when I see it! Love those smaller HAL ships, and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again.

IMHO... sorry, but it was looking pretty rough especially for HAL standards. There was broken glass on the pool roof, elevators didn't work, the escalator didn't work, a hot tub didn't work, the carpet was only partially changed out with the rest of the new carpet out on deck waiting a chance to install it later. There was a blownout window in the dining room... need I continue?

I agree...I think it was looking pretty rough on my cruise as well Nov.10 - Dec.6/08 although you'll see others don't think the same. There were elevator issues, the escaltor didn't work most of the time, lights burnt out in the ladies bathroom at the aft pool for most of the time etc. Also the S on the Statendam was burnt out on the outside light of the ship. While none one these items were a big deal I found it to be more run down then any other ship I'd been on. Hope it's fixed up for my cruise in Oct.

I agree...I think it was looking pretty rough on my cruise as well Nov.10 - Dec.6/08 although you'll see others don't think the same. There were elevator issues, the escaltor didn't work most of the time, lights burnt out in the ladies bathroom at the aft pool for most of the time etc. Also the S on the Statendam was burnt out on the outside light of the ship. While none one these items were a big deal I found it to be more run down then any other ship I'd been on. Hope it's fixed up for my cruise in Oct.

Lore: Please let us know how you find the ship in October. I will embark November 13.

ralph

We were on her for Christmas. The ship was pristine and the crew super as usual.

Would you care to tell us where you cabin was located ?

We were on her in Sep 07, about 3 months before the dry dock, and didn't notice any of the things you cited. Of course, we were never in the hot tub or the lower dining room (if that's where the broken window was) so I could have missed those ... or as you suggested they might have happened later. The worst thing we encountered on her was a sewage smell whenever the steward left the bathtub stopper opened.

Would be interested in knowing where your cabin was located?

We're booked on the B@B Nov. 13 in an Outside cabin on "A" Deck..

Lore: Please let us know how you find the ship in October. I will embark November 13.

ralph

Ralph we too are embarking on her Nov. 13th with you & also would be interested in knowing the condition of the ship..We really hope the sewerage odor is cleared up.. Unfortunately we had a pipe break & sewerage backup in our cabin on another ship (through no fault of our own)...It was quite uncomfortable for us for several days..But the Crew did their best to clean it up & the carpeting dried out after a few days with the help of large fans.. We managed to survive that & enjoyed our cruise in spite of it..

And to those posters who want to lecture me; We are fully aware that this can happen on any ship & has even happened on our personal boats, but it's still unpleasant..I hope that we will not have a similar problem on this cruise though, as I know DH will not be pleased & might even refuse to take another long cruise again..:(

Unfortunately, believe the Statendam is not scheduled for dry dock until the spring of 2010..

Thanks everyone..Cheers..:) Betty

Would you care to tell us where you cabin was located ?

Would be interested in knowing where your cabin was located?

We're booked on the B@B Nov. 13 in an Outside cabin on "A" Deck..

Ralph we too are embarking on her Nov. 13th with you & also would be interested in knowing the condition of the ship..We really hope the sewerage odor is cleared up.. Unfortunately we had a pipe break & sewerage backup in our cabin on another ship (through no fault of our own)...It was quite uncomfortable for us for several days..But the Crew did their best to clean it up & the carpeting dried out after a few days with the help of large fans.. We managed to survive that & enjoyed our cruise in spite of it..

And to those posters who want to lecture me; We are fully aware that this can happen on any ship & has even happened on our personal boats, but it's still unpleasant..I hope that we will not have a similar problem on this cruise though, as I know DH will not be pleased & might even refuse to take another long cruise again..:(

Unfortunately, believe the Statendam is not scheduled for dry dock until the spring of 2010..

Thanks everyone..Cheers..:) Betty

We were on Main deck in Dec., and there was NO sewage smell there, fore or aft!The escalater was in working order, also, as were the elevators. Not saying things can't go South at any time, but the crew will generally have them fixed before a subsequent sailing. As a matter of fact, we were @ 45 minutes later than usual beginning boarding procedures, so perhaps they were tending to such issues during that time. Just hate to see a good ship and crew trashed.

We found the ship's air conditioning not to be very good. DH takes many medications and a few times he had reactions when he wasn't able to cool down -- even in Alaska.

Now that was one thing that was working really well on my cruise:). It was like a meat locker at times. That said I prefer that to baking to death:eek:.

Reading everything above, I'd sail on her again. I totally get that there are one-off issues that come up on every ship, probably on every sailing. It sounds like they are resolving issues as they occur and given the hard work of the crew, I'd be confident that the ship will perform well.

All things considered, we do prefer the smaller ships too. If age has caused them a few more issues along the way, I'm willing to work through those in exchange for more personalized service and community atmosphere while on board.

Just got off a 28 day cruise on the msSTATENDAM. The main lounges were kept pretty cool... people were wearing jackets. Our cabin was a cold one with the thermostat not working. Since we were just previously on the msPRINSENDAM in Nov/Dec where all rooms were extremely warm, the coolness of the STATENDAM didn't bother us as much. This was our third trip on her and we really do love this ship.

The escalators did not work our whole cruise nor the one before the cruise prior to us according to people that were on her from January 10th.

We are currently on the Statendam and having a great time. We have not had any problems.

The air conditioning seems to be working well all over the ship, we have not noticed any odor around the ship (not that we have been everywhere), but we do get around as we partake in most of the activities. The escalators have not worked any time we have been in the atrium, which is probably at least once a day.

There night be little things that bother some people but we have not seen or heard from other guests aboard about any major problems.

We are currently on the Statendam and having a great time. We have not had any problems.

The air conditioning seems to be working well all over the ship, we have not noticed any odor around the ship (not that we have been everywhere), but we do get around as we partake in most of the activities. The escalators have not worked any time we have been in the atrium, which is probably at least once a day.

There night be little things that bother some people but we have not seen or heard from other guests aboard about any major problems.

Does this mean you cant use the escalators for access as a stair way or are they blocked off? :confused:

Archived