Royal Champions

Admin

Help me out here? Are moderators on other Boards forbidden to express an opinion here?

And if her relationship with another Board makes her a "SHILL" for them...what does the CHAMPS relationship with RCCL make them?

If she is not allowed an opinion or (according to you) unable to separate her relationship from her posts...THE SAME THING APPLIES to the Champs.

Wow! You are proving our argument!

See, there is that logic flaw again. The RCs were picked for past posting. IE they were picked because of what they had posted in the past, they were not required or asked to post anything in the future. If they got a free cruise they got a free cruise (we have already established that the cruise was not free of costs, in fact the costs were in many cases much greater than the value of the cruise) and they don't have to pay RCI back with a single positive post.

These fans of competing boards to CC though, they are hopeful that they can drive good posters from this board to their boards. I have zero problem with that, but to pretend that they have no interest in this thread and the continuance of the attack on RCI and CC is simply foolish. Are you that foolish?

I don't know the blogger that started this pile of horsey stuff, personally, but she too seems to be gaining from her 1/4 truth blog. I do know anyone dumb enough to believe her source on the banned from RCI blog of a few months ago is too dumb to have any credibility amongst people with 1/2 a brain.

jc

Are you suggesting in any way, shape, or form, that it is the members of CC that are running some viral marketing campaign on these boards?

No not at all and should clarify what you highlighted L: "They are also raising legitimate concerns about the ethics of allowing a viral marketing campaign by members on supposed unbiased boards."

No, but admittedly I could have worded it better. This was my intent:

They are also raising legitimate concerns about the ethics of allowing the use of current members of a supposed unbiased board in a viral marketing campaign.

Sorry if my wording caused difficulty. I think I have made it clear the issue lies with the companies involved. CC has the biggest responsibility in this. Yes this is an internet board, but this is also a company that supposedly has guidlines and integrity of operation.

The biggest difficulty CC has is getting (not necessarily us little posters) people to believe they haven't been in bed with RCI on this. It's a big leap given the history and the lack of acknoledgement on their part. They can't deny they now know this is going on and yet interestingly enough, have not stated the admitted RCI viral marketing campaign used on these threads is against guidlines. That says it all to me.

Just as it is just as hard for some here to believe that this whole RC program means very little to some of us.

Yes, I'm sure most of us understand that concept, as you have said it over & over & over & over & over again many, many times. I get it that you don't personally care. ;)

Some of the RCers, though, are very proud to be a part of the group.

I was wondering if the Royal Champions feel used in any way? Or CC? From where I stand, you were all used and I think it's sneaky and deceitful.

Well, there's "used' and then there's "abused." I don't like the term "viral" since it conjures up such a negative image (colds, flu, herpes). But other than the moniker, to me it's just not a big deal. Of course we were used by RCI, but sometimes experiments are unsuccessful. No matter what RCI may claim about the program working, I am skeptical that they read my posts and say, "Wow! She was a good choice! She's really getting us tons of new bookings!"

So yes, we were "used," but so is every single member of the Crown & Anchor Society (of which I am a DP member). I have spoken to people who will not cruise with another line under any circumstances because they won't get credits. Now that's some viral marketing for you!

After reading about WOMMA and seeing this RCL issue popping up on mainstream media outlets like Businessweek & USA Today & MSNBC. Why would RCL & CC not disavow the Royal Champion program as a minor marketing mistake, instead of being buried under all the bad PR? It clearly is leaving a bad taste in many travelers mouths and having the opposite effect than it was originally planned to have. :confused:

The Community Manager has already posted to this thread this morning reminding everyone to follow the board guidelines. Future board violations will result in closure of this thread. If that's unclear in some way, please contact me at boards@cruisecritic.com or community@cruisecritic.com.

Can I just repeat this b/c it seems like some still do not get what is really happening here?

C & A is a loyalty reward program.

Royal Champions is a viral marketing campaign.

There is a mile wide difference between the two, though I know RC was at first presented to the general CC membership as just some lucky day lottery. It is NOT. The Royal Championship program is a marketing ploy. It had a specific agenda and keeping people unaware of this agenda was part of the goal.

sigh

Chumps don't raise to the bait because some people would love to have the thread closed.

Admin any sign of a Statement yet - it isn't going to go away !!

jj........

What part of "they don't owe you or any of us any type of statement"? This site is not owned by the members. They can do and say what they want. If you don't like it then you or anyone can move to another site. Do you think that you or anyone else here can bully Cruise Critic into doing something that they don't want?

“Brands get in trouble when they aren’t transparent,” said Cahill, who is also a member of the Word of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Advisory Board. Cahill stated WOMMA is all about disclosure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29685207/page/2/

“The two hallmarks of social media are authenticity and transparency. It would appear that Royal Caribbean had a breakdown on both of these fronts,” says Jonathan Heit, senior vice president of digital media for Allison & Partners, which has implemented digital strategies for brands ranging from Philosophy to the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas.

“What’s curious is why Royal Caribbean would even walk this line,” says Scott McAndrew, director of strategy at Terralever. McAndrew says Royal Caribbean has a good brand reputation and a loyal and vocal fan before starting the program.

“In trying to shortcut the natural progress from brand exposure, to brand adoption and finally advocacy, Royal Caribbean now faces a far worse problem,” he adds. “All the wholehearted, genuine reviews of their brand and service that are positive run the risk of being eyed with a jaded view. Is this a real review, or is this one they bought?”

jj......

Let the poor RC's off the hook, they were unknowingly manipulated and used.

I see your point, but a good many of the RCers either don't feel that they were manipulated, or they don't care. Very interesting to me.

Hi Fire - try reading a number of pages back, i think you'll find someone in CC hinted at a statement.

Do you feel all of don't deserve one after this sorry mess or would you rather it festered on ?

jj....

Which abbreviation is correct?

If I go to Royal Caribbean's website I go to www.rccl.com so that's what I call them in posts.

which is being forwarded to royalcaribbean.com.

RCI = Royal Caribbean International (cruise line)

RCCL = Royal Caribean Cruises Ltd (company who owns cruiselines including but not limited to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, Azamara)

placeholder_loggedin_logo_hdr.gif

RC = royal champion not Royal Caribbean International or Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

jc<---- still finds a lot of information about RCI in the RCI forum

jc

Your defense of RCs are truly honorable but this is getting weird now.

I clearly indicated that the Royal Champions at times use the abbreviation RC, RCL and RCCL for Royal Caribbean International. So my point was that of all people shouldn't RCs know the correct abbreviation of the brand they represent?

A suggestion to all Royal Champions. Have your screen name changed or sign up with a new account and not put anything about being a Royal Champion. Then you will be just like everyone else again on the boards. After all, we the posters on this board can trust any and everyone EXCEPT those that are a Royal Champion. ;)

FireIce0010

My wife and i went on our first cruise this January. I spent allot of time from sept - dec deciding on if cruising was what we wanted to do. I read allot of posts about which company to go with.

I can honestly say that after all my readings RCI seemed like a great line. Our cruise was fun (on the Monarch) and i have booked us on Oasis in dec. as we REALLY enjoyed it but......

The problem with this whole RC bs is that people like me come looking for information about companies and instead of honest opinions from people who have ** NO ** incentive to smudge the truth, i now find out that people i have been reading could very well have been nudging folks towards RCI. That is wrong.

Having RCI have commmercials on TV is one thing (i actually like them), but having them have people out there marketing for them on forums when people like myself think they are just normal people with no alterior motives is just wrong.

I want real people stating their opinions for the right reasons.

Maybe i am just nieve.

which is being forwarded to royalcaribbean.com.

RCI = Royal Caribbean International (cruise line)

RCCL = Royal Caribean Cruises Ltd (company who owns cruiselines including but not limited to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, Azamara)

placeholder_loggedin_logo_hdr.gif

Your defense of RCs are truly honorable but this is getting weird now.

I clearly indicated that the Royal Champions at times use the abbreviation RC, RCL and RCCL for Royal Caribbean International. So my point was that of all people shouldn't RCs know the correct abbreviation of the brand they represent?

Thanks for your support, Oliver.:rolleyes:

If they are too stupid to know what they are talking about why all the fuss?

My only point to you was you are being a bit picky. Who cares what initials people use..... This is a classic example of missing the forest for the trees. Kind of like correcting someone's spelling... what good does it do, and anyone who knows what the thread is actually about has no need of the correction.

jc

FireIce0010

Maybe i am just nieve.

Then you might want to join a cruise board that requires background checks as that is the only way that you will know if you have a "real" person stating their facts.

I see your point, but a good many of the RCers either don't feel that they were manipulated, or they don't care. Very interesting to me.

I don't know why that's interesting to you, but I don't care.:)

My wife and i went on our first cruise this January. I spent allot of time from sept - dec deciding on if cruising was what we wanted to do. I read allot of posts about which company to go with.

I can honestly say that after all my readings RCI seemed like a great line. Our cruise was fun (on the Monarch) and i have booked us on Oasis in dec. as we REALLY enjoyed it but......

The problem with this whole RC bs is that people like me come looking for information about companies and instead of honest opinions from people who have ** NO ** incentive to smudge the truth, i now find out that people i have been reading could very well have been nudging folks towards RCI. That is wrong.

Having RCI have commmercials on TV is one thing (i actually like them), but having them have people out there marketing for them on forums when people like myself think they are just normal people with no alterior motives is just wrong.

Maybe i am just nieve.

Any positive statement is going to nudge you toward RCI, isn't it? It could be coming from a travel agent, Diamond Plus member, Royal Champion, random schmo. I'm all four, so how would you know what my motive is on any given post? I just call it like I see it unless it's going to hurt somebody's feelings (and I don't consider RCI or RCCL a "somebody"), in which case I either keep my fingers still or try to be gentle. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't.

Although I have never characterized myself as normal...

Another point...

In all of the articles that have appeared since this blew up, not one has discredited RCI - some have questioned their methodology but none have discredited the cruise line.

Whereas CC has been discredited for allowing the scheme to be done via them and with their blessing. Laura has already confirmed that she was approached in 2007. The moment she and the CC ownership agreed to assist RCI in this, they put the credibility of the site on the line, probably without realising...hindsight is great if you can get it in advance. But now that things have gone wrong it is CC that is being plastered across the media for allowing the scheme by agreeing to assist in building it.

Like I said RCI have done OK, no collateral damage done, but CC's reputation as an unbiased and impartial board has been shredded. Probably didn't think there would be any fallout if things went wrong, afterall RCI is a huge company, they wouldn't endanger the reputation of a board...would they?

They would if it served their purposes.

Any positive statement is going to nudge you toward RCI, isn't it? It could be coming from a travel agent, Diamond Plus member, Royal Champion, random schmo.

Funny you mention it like this...here is my explanation of why you should NOT group a RC into this group.....

Travel agent - You know what you are getting....this person makes money from giving you "advice". Just opening your eyes tells you TA's can lead you to what they may make more money off of (not exactly what you want). This i have no problem with because i know that this could happen, there is nothing hidden from me...i happily accept this and used a ta for our first cruise...then used RCI directly for Oasis.

Diamond Plus - These people (mostly) love royal and as such you understand what you are reading is coming from someone who loves RCI as they have been on so many RCI cruises...again understandable.

Royal Champion - Could possibly get benefits and thus you have no idea if they are on the up and up. Plain and simple.

Joe schmo - Just a person who comes in and says how their vacation went. No incentives.

All of these "types" of information are very different. 3 of the 4 do not bother me...having someone feed a newby like myself bs about a cruise line because they may get perks is not a good idea...actually it is a really stupid idea.

Not that any of this changes my plans..i am gonna enjoy the Oasis but this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

:)

This is not going to be popular, but everyone could add Royal Champions to their signature. It would lose it's appeal as no one would know who is a RC or not:eek:

Nice idea ;)

Wouldn't see the wood from the trees though, which might be a tad offputting to some...however you are right, it would lose its appeal and take the wind out of some sails.

Laura do you think RCI or CC will make a statement on this at some stage ?

No, because the only way you will accept the statement as valid is if you agree with it 100%. Anything else will disregarded and ignored, nor matter how honest it might be.

Archived