bringing hard liquor on board

thunderbay

Okay...I am telling you...don't do any of the crazy hiding hard A....just order one to be in your room...it is the same price or maybe even cheaper than what you can get and then sneaky it on board.

Just order and enjoy

So, you can order a bottle of rum? or Grand Mariner? "to be in your room", you can just call room service?

So, you can order a bottle of rum? or Grand Mariner? "to be in your room", you can just call room service?
You can call room service or stop at any bar and order what you want delivered to your room. You can also pre-order by calling Ship Services at 800-541-1576, or online at the HAL site For Booked Guests, Order Onboard Gifts section.

Straight Up friend!!! Just call room service. Say, for instance, " would you please send up a bottle of Captain Morgan...STAT!!" Next thing you know....the captain is knockin on your door! Price is not bad. We did it, we got a bottle of Gin and it came right away. Used it the whole cruise and took the rest home.

Yes, but there is a significant mark-up and it IS more expensive than just about any hometown liquor store.

A bottle of Jim Beam, which one would assume would be 750ml bottle otherwise known as a "fifth" is selling on the HAL site for $34.50 and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that price was for a 375ml bottle. They don't say either way. I can buy that at home for roughly $10-15 less.

A 6-pack of Budweiser from room service checks in at a staggering $21.85. I can go to my local 7-11 and get this for $5.99.

I'm not encouraging you to bring it on board, but the idea these items are the same price on the ship as they are at home is pretty ridiculous. That's not to say you can't get some good deals on ship. I enjoyed those big cans of Foster (32 oz) on some recent sailings and I think RCCL was charging like $5.99 plus grat. We have 3.2 beer in my state so it didn't take more than 1 of those to get a nice buzz.

We always bring a bottle of grey goose, vermouth, jar of olives, brandy, and port on every cruise in our checked luggage. never had a problem ever.

How very dare you bring olives onto the cruise ship!!!

:p:p:p

I'm familiar with their official policy, but have always risked it with less-than-top-shelf hard alcohol in my checked luggage. Never once has it been confiscated or damaged. If you do decide to sneak it on, don't waste your time putting it in your carry on however. I have seen people get it confiscated first hand. If you pack it in your luggage, just make sure you do so very well wrapped. They don't treat those bags with much respect on the pier, or schleping them down the halls on the ship.

Good luck.

Yes, but there is a significant mark-up and it IS more expensive than just about any hometown liquor store.

A bottle of Jim Beam, which one would assume would be 750ml bottle otherwise known as a "fifth" is selling on the HAL site for $34.50 and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that price was for a 375ml bottle. They don't say either way. I can buy that at home for roughly $10-15 less.

A 6-pack of Budweiser from room service checks in at a staggering $21.85. I can go to my local 7-11 and get this for $5.99.

I'm not encouraging you to bring it on board, but the idea these items are the same price on the ship as they are at home is pretty ridiculous. That's not to say you can't get some good deals on ship. I enjoyed those big cans of Foster (32 oz) on some recent sailings and I think RCCL was charging like $5.99 plus grat. We have 3.2 beer in my state so it didn't take more than 1 of those to get a nice buzz.

Our experience was that a 1000 ml bottle of Sapphire Gin for 37.00 was pretty fair deal. We did not pre-order from ships services. We used room service. It may depend upon what you buy though. Our experience was a good one.

We always 'tote', too. We buy the plastic liter bottles and put them in two ziplocks, just in case of a leak. You can't get everything you want in the plastic bottles. But, they are light weight and if they scan your bag, it doesn't look like booze. I don't feel guilty about it at all. We don't take our own to any of the bars or to the pool, if we want a drink, we pay for it, so I don't think we should be punished because they caught a bunch of kids coming on with 40 cases of beer. My little bottle of vodka is not hurting anyone.

So you can bring a bunch of wine aboard... good. How does one get a "case" to the boat and then onboard considering luggage etc ?

Thanks, Dave

Some people use collapsible carts. I think it's easier to just pick up a couple of bottles at every port.

p.s. - Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

[quote name='daveS007']So you can bring a bunch of wine aboard... good. How does one get a "case" to the boat and then onboard considering luggage etc ?

Thanks, Dave[/quote]

We got a collapseable hand cart at Costco....about 25.00. It folds flat when not in use. We put 2 cases of wine on it and duck taped it to the cart. In retrospect we would bungie cord it. But duct tape worked. We brought it with us...it went through the security just fine. We wheeled it into our cabin. We have a pretty deep wine collection and wanted to bring some of those with us....it would have cost us a fortune to buy those wines in port. Plus, we did not want to need to hunt down wine in ports. I have heard that if you tape the wine cases closed and attach a tag with your cabin number they will arrive with your regular luggage.

[quote name='Sleepladypalmdesert']Plus, we did not want to need to hunt down wine in ports.[/quote]It can usually be found right at, or close to, the end of the pier. :) Although, I'll admit, not necessarily your favorites.

[quote name='Sleepladypalmdesert']Our experience was that a 1000 ml bottle of Sapphire Gin for 37.00 was pretty fair deal. We did not pre-order from ships services. We used room service. It may depend upon what you buy though. Our experience was a good one.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]I'm certainly not advocating bringing your own liquor on board, but I'm truly amazed that one would actually consider $37.00 for Bombay Sapphire to be reasonable,;) especially when we can get it for much less than $37.00 in our local liquor stores... It can also be purchased in most duty free shops for $13.99 for a litre...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.dutyfreedepot.com/CatalogueList.aspx?BrandID=812&BrandSection=3&CategoryID=3"][SIZE=3]http://www.dutyfreedepot.com/CatalogueList.aspx?BrandID=812&BrandSection=3&CategoryID=3[/SIZE][/URL]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We usually bring one or two bottles of wine for in cabin consumption while we are relaxing & getting ready for dinner...Then we also purchase the wine card on board, which we use for dinner..We never have more than one glass with dinner...I'll sometimes pass on wine, as may want an after dinner drink (Bailey's Irish Creme)...Don't want to fall asleep too early ;)which I will do with both wine & an after dinner drink..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Now that HAL is doing away with the wine card, we might look into bringing more wine on board & paying the $18.00 Corkage fee which to me is reasonable, especially when you are bring your own special wine on board...You can also purchase great bottles of wine in the Caribbean ports & there is no limit to how many you bring on board.. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]JMO...:):)Betty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B]Sleepladypalmdesert...I owe you an apology..:o [/B]Now realize why $37.00 would be reasonable to you for [B]Bombay Sapphire[/B]...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Your liquor prices are much more in Calif. than they are in Florida..I can get Baileys Irish Creme here on sale for about $25.00 to $35 a bottle, while in San Diego it's $ 60 a bottle:(..A big difference!!..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]From now on will buy my Baileys in the Caribbean...Last trip we purchased 2 bottles of Baileys for $15.00 a bottle & can't remember where, but knew it was a good deal. I'm almost out of it! Think DH is nipping at my bottles...:([/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Our friends will remember where it was & next time going to buy 10 bottles & pay the duty if necessary...I'll have to carry it myself though as DH normally hates to bring liquor home...He says the bags are too heavy! :([/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Have to warn him now..:([/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Betty[/SIZE]

[quote name='pipedreams62'][IMG]http://pipedreams62.eaph2.com/share/afunstufdeuce/ap.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

THIS IS CRACKING ME UP! SPILLED MY BAILLEYS...:(

[quote name='daveS007']So you can bring a bunch of wine aboard... good. How does one get a "case" to the boat and then onboard considering luggage etc ?

Thanks, Dave[/quote]

[SIZE=3]No Problem with luggage [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Dave if you are flying to the port! Many people do this..They pre-order wine from Total Wine which is close to the port...Go on-line & look at their selection...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[URL]http://www.wineaccess.com/store/totalwine-fortlauderdale[/URL]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Total Wine will have it all packed up & ready for you to pick up...Then hire a cab to the port & have the driver stop at Total Wine to pick up your pre-ordered wine...It takes 10 minutes..All the Cab Drivers know about Total Wine...When you get to the port put a luggage tag on your boxes of wine with your cabin Number & give it to the porter..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Make sure you give the porter a nice tip & your wine & luggage will arrive safely in your cabin..SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you are driving to the port than using a collapsible cart is another way to go as sleepypalmdessert does...There are Total Wines all over Florida & you can get it packaged safely.. OR go to any Publix Supermarket in Florida & buy 4 bottles of wine..They will give you a nice little wine tote bag..Carry that on board with you & use it to buy more wine in Ports..Don't forget a corkscrew..there usually is one in your room but we always take one just in case..Make sure to ask your room Steward to keep the Ice bucket full...He might even be able to give you another ice bucket just for your wine to chill it..He also will give you some wine glasses....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[quote name='jtl513']Some people use collapsible carts. I think it's easier to just pick up a couple of bottles at every port.

p.s. - Welcome to Cruise Critic :)[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Agree with this..We take a couple of bottles with us from Publix & then in most ports can pick up a couple of bottles which are very inexpensive, especially in the Caribbean ports...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also adding my welcome to Cruise Critic..[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Have fun ..:):)Betty[/SIZE]

No need for an apology Serendipity...we Californians are just used to things being pumped up...like our Governor and prices for things like spirits. We did get a litre at Bev Mo for 29.99...so 37.00 is still higher, not less. We just were surprised when we had the bottle delivered and it only came to 37.00. We thought it would be more through room service.

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE=3]I'm certainly not advocating bringing your own liquor on board, but I'm truly amazed that one would actually consider $37.00 for Bombay Sapphire to be reasonable,;) especially when we can get it for much less than $37.00 in our local liquor stores... It can also be purchased in most duty free shops for $13.99 for a litre...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.dutyfreedepot.com/CatalogueList.aspx?BrandID=812&BrandSection=3&CategoryID=3"][SIZE=3]http://www.dutyfreedepot.com/CatalogueList.aspx?BrandID=812&BrandSection=3&CategoryID=3[/SIZE][/URL]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We usually bring one or two bottles of wine for in cabin consumption while we are relaxing & getting ready for dinner...Then we also purchase the wine card on board, which we use for dinner..We never have more than one glass with dinner...I'll sometimes pass on wine, as may want an after dinner drink (Bailey's Irish Creme)...Don't want to fall asleep too early ;)which I will do with both wine & an after dinner drink..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Now that HAL is doing away with the wine card, we might look into bringing more wine on board & paying the $18.00 Corkage fee which to me is reasonable, especially when you are bring your own special wine on board...You can also purchase great bottles of wine in the Caribbean ports & there is no limit to how many you bring on board.. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]JMO...:):)Betty[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Ist of all - HAL is not doing away with the wine cards. roumors, roumors......

2nd of all - HAL is real clear that you can not bring any "adult" beverage back on board from any port after embarkation. That includes beer, wine, etc.
They will take it away and return it on the last day of the cruise..........

"Know before you go"

Archived