bringing hard liquor on board

thunderbay

I am getting mixed messages about this topic. Can you actually bring wine openly on board. If so, is there a limit to the number of bottles each? Someone told me they hid rum in their luggage and it was confiscated. Could this be true?

You are allowed to bring an unlimited amount of wine, soda and bottled water, onboard.

This is from the HAL Website:

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$15.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

We brought 2 cases of wine/champagne on board with us. Openly, no problemo. But we did see a woman getting a 5th of rum held to be picked up at the end of the cruise. Bring all the wine/champagne you want. If you want hard A then order it from room service. The price is not any higher than what you would pay if you were to purchase it and bring it with you....in fact, we thought the Sapphire Gin was perhaps less expensive. We enjoyed some wine in our room and brought much of it to the dining room and paid 15.00 corkage in the regular dining room and 18.00 in the Pinnacle Grill. This was last month.

You are allowed to bring an unlimited amount of wine, soda and bottled water, onboard.

This is from the HAL Website:

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$15.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Again....this does not apply to hard A that you purchase through room service. Just call regular room service like you are ordering food. Ask them to bring whatever you want as far as hard alcohol. They will bring it, a fairly large bottle, to your room for your enjoyment on board. Price is reasonable. We ordered a 750ml bottle of Sapphire Gin and it was something like 37.00.

We were charged just 15.00 straight up in the dining room and 18.00 in the Pinnacle Grill. I think it sort of depends, on what, I am not sure...but we definatly paid just 15.00 in the dining room.

I paid a corkage fee of $15.65 + 15% service charge per bottle in the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Main Dining Room. ($17.99 each)

I paid a corkage fee of $15.65 + 15% service charge per bottle in the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Main Dining Room. ($17.99 each)

I am not doubting that you paid that amount. I am just saying that we paid 15.00 in the dining room and 18.00 in the Pinnacle. We were on the Zaandam. My guess is that at some point they will all be 18.00.

I am getting mixed messages about this topic. Can you actually bring wine openly on board. If so, is there a limit to the number of bottles each? Someone told me they hid rum in their luggage and it was confiscated. Could this be true?

This is ALL spelled out in HALs pre-cruise literature (PAGE 13 OF KNOW BEFORE YOU GO):

"EXCEPT FOR WINE AND CHAMPAGNE, ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES PURCHASED IN THE SHIPS STORES OR OTHERWISE BROUGHT ON BOARD CANNOT BE CONSUMED ON THE SHIP. BOTTLES AND CONTAINERS WILL BE COLLECTED FOR SAFEKEEPING AND DELIVERED TO YOUR STATEROOM THE LAST DAY OF THE VOYAGE."

You can bring as much wine and champagne onboard as you want - NO LIMIT. There is a corkage fee to drink it in the dining rooms. I know of several people on long cruises that usually bring a couple of cases of wine onboard at embarkation and buy more as they go along.

And you can bring as many NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages as you want onboard too.

Hard alcholol will be CONFISCATED, and usually is and returned the LAST DAY of your cruise. You might get lucky and they might miss it, and yes people do smuggle it on. You decide if you want to risk it.

Lydia

On our recent Noordam cruises there was a person sitting at a table by the gangway with tags and a notebook ready to collect any hard alcohol brought onto the ship from the various ports.

We were surprised that in Curacao they were even collecting the majority of the suveniour bottles (the tiny ones) from many of the passengers.

From time to time there was a note in the daily program about the alcohol policy.

And you can bring as many NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages as you want onboard too.

Hard alcholol will be CONFISCATED, and usually is and returned the LAST DAY of your cruise. You might get lucky and they might miss it, and yes people do smuggle it on. You decide if you want to risk it.

Lydia

Lydia

Put about 5 pints of hard A scattered thru out all of your luggage then when they find one, they will quit looking for more.:D Then you get onboard with 4 others. Another way is to put hard A in an empty wine bottle and re -cork it to look like original. :D

Have a nice day

Dick

I am not doubting that you paid that amount. I am just saying that we paid 15.00 in the dining room and 18.00 in the Pinnacle. We were on the Zaandam. My guess is that at some point they will all be 18.00.

Not saying you're doubting me :) I looked the charges up on my statement to make sure there wasn't a different corkage fee for the different dining options since I remebered it all being the same.

Slightly OT: I have seen posts that people were at times charged corkage fees for only a few bottles - we were charged for every single bottle, even when we brought 6 bottles to the MDR with 10 of us at a birthday celebration.

For hard liquor, just wrap your original bottle of rum ,gin, vodka, etc. in bubble wrapping, and put it in your checked luggage. The bubble wrapping scrambles all images through their x-ray machines. DO NOT BRING IT IN YOUR CARRY-ON. I've always done it this way, and it passed every time.

Lydia

Put about 5 pints of hard A scattered thru out all of your luggage then when they find one, they will quit looking for more.:D Then you get onboard with 4 others. Another way is to put hard A in an empty wine bottle and re -cork it to look like original. :D

Have a nice day

Dick

Or you can do what the Frat boys do on Carnival - empty out a Scope Mouthwash bottle, put gin or vodka in it with some green food dye and sneak it on that way.

Lydia

Archived