C&A Question

I purposely created this new account to ask a rather delicate question about Crown and Anchor membership. So please forgive my sneaking around. :)

We have cruised with RCI and Celebrity on many occasions (a combined total of 10 cruises, all a week or longer in duration), and we have been stock holders for many years. They are, without any doubt, our favorite cruise lines. A few weeks before our last cruise my husband recieved a letter in the mail from RCI congratulating him on his new Diamond status in C&A. I figured it was a mistake and when we arrived to the cruise it would have been rectified.

When we boarded we discovered that my husband was still Diamond. I was still Platinum. We enjoyed his being Diamond for that cruise and assumed that the mistake would be found out and they would put him back to Platinum before our next cruise.

Well, here it is a few months later and we are about to sail again on RCI and it appears he's still Diamond. They have him as Diamond on the website and our TA was able to get us the Diamond discount on our balcony cabin.

Have people heard of this happening before? Were they eventually found out and demoted back to Platinum? Should I chance calling C&A to get my status upgraded also? My husband would shoot me if I did anything to jeopardize his standing as it has really gone to his head and he quite enjoyed his Diamond status on our last cruise.

All advice is welcomed!

He could in fact have earned the status. If he did, then by benefit of marriage, you should also be Diamond. How many times have you sailed RCI? Have you booked Junior Suites or above (worth two C&A points)? Have you booked 12+ nights (used to be 10+)? Also earns 2 credits. And if those longer cruises were in JS or above, you would have earned 3 credits.

Do you have an account on RCI? If so, it would show you all the cruises you've recevied credit for to get to your level.

In any case, I've never read where anyone was downgraded. Then again, I don't think I've ever read where anyone got status they didn't have coming to them.

On your RCI cruises, did you stay in a JS or above on any of them? Were some of your sailings longer than 12 days?

If so, for some of the RCI cruises you would have received 2 credits instead of 1, which may be why you are now Diamond. 10 credits on RCI makes you Diamond, so if you accumulated 10, regardless of actual # of cruises, then you are Diamond legit!

Thanks for the replys, but nope, he hasn't earned it. He has, as do I, 5 cruises on RCI, only one over 12 days (so I guess a total of 6 credits) and no junior suites, so he's a few points short of Diamond. We have 5 cruises on Celebrity also, but I know they don't combine. We have checked online and it shows our cruises correctly, as does it shows him to be Diamond.

As I said, he received a letter informing him of his new status, so either someone promoted him for some reason, or it was a mistake. I'm betting mistake. :)

I am not questioning whether or not he earned it (he didn't) but whether or not they are going to take it away from him if they discover their mistake. I remember other posters mentioning this happening to them and I am curious as to what became of their status over time.

It does happen on occassion. I received 2 credits for a sailing that I was never on. My cruise history shows me on the Freedom in April of last year. I was no where near the Freedom. I made diamond 1 cruise before I should have. I did call C&A and they can not take it away.

It does happen on occassion. I received 2 credits for a sailing that I was never on. My cruise history shows me on the Freedom in April of last year. I was no where near the Freedom. I made diamond 1 cruise before I should have. I did call C&A and they can not take it away.

Just an FYI, they can take your extra credit back - they did it to me a few weeks ago. I was given an extra credit for my 2nd cruise. I called and asked about it a few years ago and they said they wouldn't take it back. A few weeks ago a notice appeared at the top of my Cruise History that there had been an adjustment to my account - and they had taken back what they had said they wouldn't.

No "sneaking around" for me. :D I was pretty open in my discussion about my new "Diamonique" status. ;)

I called C&A to ask a question and they informed me that I was Diamond. I told them "Thank you but no I'm not"

They said "Yes you are"

I said "No I'm not"

They said "Yes you are."

...well you get the point. ;)

Anyway, long story even longer. I figured it would be cleared up once I told them about it. I called back to talk to someone else. I guess once they make you a diamond, they say they "can't" take it back. They have no idea what happened to my account. They said thanks for the honesty...my account does say there was a "credit adjustment"...but my status still says diamond. :D:D

So I am officially Diamonique...a fake diamond...but a diamond none the less. :D

They gave me double credits for my first cruise, so I am one credit ahead of schedule. I did call and was told that there would be more hassle in removing it than in just leaving it there. So, I only need one more credit to become diamond, instead of two, unless they take the extra one away from me.

The mix up could come from another passenger with your very same name. I don't have a very common name, but come to find out another passenger with my very same, unusual name sails on RCI!

I found out because RCI mailed her information that was supposed to come to me. That very kind and honest person returned the letter to RCI and RCI called me and told me what happened.

I did discover in this incident that one has to be very careful about monitoring credits and correspondence because RCI has so many passengers that it is entirely possible to mix up names, credits, and whatever. Some might not be as honest about matters as this very nice Canadian woman was in my case.

Archived