Local Food Safety???

TCF

We'll be spending ten days on a Sea of Cortez cruise next month. Three of the ports are the standard tourist stops...so I suspect the issues of food safety are no lesser or greater than what we find in the US and Canada, (which by some standards are not all that good, but that is another argument for another day!)

The other three ports we have booked excursions on our own that go off into the mountains etc to small towns. We will be in these places all day so at least one meal will be required. Do the "horror stories" about Mexican food and water apply to these "off the beaten track" communites??

Thanks for any info you can give.

HI, Why don't you have the ship make some sandwiches or take some snacks for your self.as far as water goes take some bottle water with you. I myself do not trust the food or water in Mexico.ITS NOT WORTH TAKING THE CHANCE OF GETTING SICK. mrbill Tracy ca

We'll be spending ten days on a Sea of Cortez cruise next month. Three of the ports are the standard tourist stops...so I suspect the issues of food safety are no lesser or greater than what we find in the US and Canada, (which by some standards are not all that good, but that is another argument for another day!)

The other three ports we have booked excursions on our own that go off into the mountains etc to small towns. We will be in these places all day so at least one meal will be required. Do the "horror stories" about Mexican food and water apply to these "off the beaten track" communites??

As you say, you'll be perfectly safe with common sense in the larger towns, resorts, and chain restaurants. In the smaller towns you might want to drink bottled water, etc., and eat only things that are completely cooked (no salads, fruits, etc.)

You cannot bring food, except for pre-packaged items off of the ship anywhere in Mexico. We had lunch in La Paz at a little taco place that was fantastic and of course the food in PV, Maz and Cabo is safe to eat. Not sure how you could travel to Mexico and not experience the incredible fresh seafood. Shrimp in Mazatlan and the fish in Cabo are not to be missed!

HI, Why don't you have the ship make some sandwiches or take some snacks for your self.as far as water goes take some bottle water with you. I myself do not trust the food or water in Mexico.ITS NOT WORTH TAKING THE CHANCE OF GETTING SICK. mrbill Tracy ca

Not sure when you last travelled to Mexico but the food is perfectly fine! Even the water at some of the larger resorts and restaurants is purified. There are millions of tourists in Mexico on land based vacations every year and they do eat while they are there.:confused:

As you say, you'll be perfectly safe with common sense in the larger towns, resorts, and chain restaurants. In the smaller towns you might want to drink bottled water, etc., and eat only things that are completely cooked (no salads, fruits, etc.)

Very true...I always tell people when they question me about the food in Mexico is to never eat where there are dead Mexican or tourists lying outside of a restaurant...otherwise do the common sense thing...

What are the 3 other ports that you are going to ?......

We're going to El Fuerte, Loreta and La Paz....also a couple of towns near these three places.

Thanks for the info.

Have a great time, eat everything....

We're going back to the Amazon again this fall with Oceania Cruises...

Larry

This topic always makes me smile. We just returned from two months in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) where we ate at over 50 different restaurants, routinely bought food on the streets, shopped in the local markets for fruit, meat and seafood, and even used the tap water in our condo. During those two months (and we do this every year) we did not have any kind of GI disturbance. Two weeks ago we came back to the states, and I quickly got some kind of GI bug. I look forward to returning to PV next January where I do not have to fear the food or water! :)

Hank

Thanks for all the info....I love to eat local....but I was worried by rumors!!!

LARDOR....it is completely inappropriate for you guys to go back to the Amazon within two years of your last cruise there....or at least until we have already gone before you. There is only one way around this rule....you guys have to buy us a balcony cabin on the same cruise as you!!!

Haver a great time...is it the same itinerary as we did on Veendam?

I highly recommend the Giggling Dolphin in Loreto.... fabulous shrimp tacos, delightful people. I'd also strongly recommend avoiding the street food in Los Mochis (if you get there). Be smart -- don't eat anything that may have been washed in unfiltered water (lettuce and such). We did fine, but were cautious with raw foods.

Thanks for all the info....I love to eat local....but I was worried by rumors!!!

LARDOR....it is completely inappropriate for you guys to go back to the Amazon within two years of your last cruise there....or at least until we have already gone before you. There is only one way around this rule....you guys have to buy us a balcony cabin on the same cruise as you!!!

Haver a great time...is it the same itinerary as we did on Veendam?

No it's a little shorter (25 days) R/T from Miami, but we get a few more of the smaller ports because the ship is smaller...This will be the 3rd year in a row...have to get my monies worth for the Brazilian visa and yellow fever shot....

Archived