Questions about my new snorkle mask

sayhello

I know I saw this here before, but I just can't find it. I leave tomorrow! for the So. Caribbean. I bought a not-too-expensive snorkle and mask (I'll rent fins).

Anyways, I've heard that baby shampoo is really good to prevent fogging. How do you use it for that?

Also, I seem to remember something about pre-washing the mask. With toothpaste or somesuch. How do I do that, also?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

sayhello

Take paste toothpaste (not gel) and rub it around (dry) on the inside of your mask. This removes the protective film that is put on at the manufacturer. Rinse and do it again and you're good to go.

As far as the baby shampoo goes, put a little bit into a bottle, add water and shake. Spray or pour a little into your mask prior to putting it on, and voila! you'll be fog free.

Have a WONDERFUL trip.

I've always found that the cheapest is the best for defogging mask--wet w/ sea water, pour out--spit in each side--wipe around and rinse again just before you get into the water. I have over 200 scuba dives & have used that on every one.
Thats the easiest method and works very well. And you always have some...nothing to carry.:)

Okay, I'll be the first to say that the spit method has never worked for me for either snorkeling or diving. There's nothing more frustrating to me than being at 50' with a fogged up mask that I can't keep clear.

If it works for you, definitely don't bother with shampoo or a commercial defogger, but if it doesn't, you have a back-up plan at least. I swear by the baby shampoo method, even though I carry commercial defogger when I dive.

Archived