winter coats?

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

I was wondering if I would need my winter coat on the land tour. We will be at Kenai Princess lodge and planning to book the 6 hour Kenai Fjords NP tour, Mckinley wilderness lodge and planning horseback riding. At Danali and only able to do the NHT. (I know, I know....but due to time constraints we are unable to do the TWT.) So I figured this is better than nothing. Unless somebody knows some options that I am unaware of...I feel I need to take the heavy coats since we are planning a glacier landing when we are in Juneau. If this is not necessary please tell me. The lighter I can pack the better it'll be.

I personally would not take a winter coat in July. You have other options as in layering. You can start with long underwear, then long sleeve t-shirts and so on. Your last layer could be a rain proof, wind proof, breathable jacket that can be used through your whole trip.

When we went in 2007 I overpacked with too many heavy clothes and we went in late May. This time it will be light weight clothes for layering purposes and that will serve me well in the rain.:)

Last year my daughter and I both wore cheap Walmart rain proof jackets with a warm sweat shirt underneath. These worked fine. Layering is the answer. Also we found great deals on insulated waterproof jackets in Ketchikan if you're going there at the beginning of the cruise.

I personally would not take a winter coat in July. You have other options as in layering. You can start with long underwear, then long sleeve t-shirts and so on. Your last layer could be a rain proof, wind proof, breathable jacket that can be used through your whole trip.

When we went in 2007 I overpacked with too many heavy clothes and we went in late May. This time it will be light weight clothes for layering purposes and that will serve me well in the rain.:)

Thanks for your input! Sounds like layering is the key!

When I lived in Tennessee, my "winter coat" would be best described as an early spring jacket here in Maryland. I wouldn't think you would need a down jacket or anything, but what someone who lives in Vegas considers a winter jacket might be good. Its all about what you are acclimated to.

waterproof shoes and pants? Would appreciate any incite on this before I go out and buy a bunch of stuff I don't really need.

Last year we didn't have any use for waterproof shoes, rain boots or waterproof shoes. We were very lucky weather wise. I'm taking this stuff again this year because in case it's raining I don't want to be cold and wet. I also bought cheap Walmart waterproof pants in the fishing section of the store.

i have gone the 2nd week of may as far up as skagway and was very comfortable up in the summet in a t-shirt under a hooded sweatshirt with a pair of jeans on. my tennies had been sprayed with the leather waterproof stuff that comes in a can. i was fine and very warm. a lightweight nylon windbreaker can be brought too in case you need it.

We've always been perfectly comfortable with waterproof jacket and shoes - other than that - jeans, layered long sleeved tees and sweatshirts under our rain jackets. Layers is the key - don't think you need to go all out with the waterproof pants - we did just fine with jeans. Enjoy your trip! Alaska is magnificent!:D

:D:eek: I'm glad I'm not you guys, I would be sweating so much it wouldn't be funny (if I ever perspired at all, that is). Layering is definitely important. In all of my six trips to Alaska, I have never (even in September 2001, when we had an awful storm in Juneau) needed much more than a nylon raincoat for the "drippy/rainy" days, a 3 in 1 jacket (and I usually only wear the non-fleece part), with a fleece or a sweatshirt in my backpack in case it comes up chilly when I am out. And I wear my normal old cross trainers on my feet (they have been sprayed with waterproofing), and a pair of jeans.

"I'm glad I'm not you guys, I would be sweating so much it wouldn't be funny" That is so funny, that would be :D me too!! We are going the first week in July, even for those of us who "overheat" quickly is it safe to say we don't need to bring shorts (we are doing just the cruise)???

"I'm glad I'm not you guys, I would be sweating so much it wouldn't be funny" That is so funny, that would be :D me too!! We are going the first week in July, even for those of us who "overheat" quickly is it safe to say we don't need to bring shorts (we are doing just the cruise)???

I always take shorts and capris. When I was there in 2004, it was over 90 degrees.......

I would say that the answer to whether you need waterproof pants depends on what you are doing. If you are planning on spending hours and hours outdoors in each of the ports (hiking for instance), then it would be wise to bring waterproof/breathable pants. Another benefit of the pants is that they also make a good windbreak layer, so they help to keep you warm if you intend to spend hours outside glacier viewing (which I have heard tends to be breezy and chilly.) If you intend to do tours that keep you in vehicles or buildings for the most part, and you intend to spend a good portion of the glacier viewing time admiring the view from the big windows, then the rain pants wouldn't be much use to you, even if it is drizzly.

We're cruising the Inside Passage in September, so expect we'll probably encounter rain.

My question is : What do you consider a "waterproof jacket"?

Is it one of those that is plastic-coated on the outside? Is it a nylon windbreaker?

As you can tell, I need to know what to shop for.

Not looking to bring my winter jacket--a winter jacket by Minnesota standards would probably be overdoing it. Rather than bring one heavy jacket, bring stuff you can put on/take off in layers.

If you are concerned about cold and/or wet, the best bet is to layer with wool/or synthetic. Wool/synthetic dry from the inside out (wick the moisture away from your body), so they keep you dryer/warmer. Cotton dries from the outside in, so the part near your body stays wet (heavy and cold). I am going to take my gore tex rain jacket, at least 1 fleece sweater/shirt, nylon travel pants, and probably silk weight polyester long underwear. I don't think I will take my gore tex rain pants.

If you plan on doing anything that requires exertion, make sure that your waterproof/rain gear is breathable. If it is warm and muggy when it is raining, or you are generating your own heat through exercise/exertion, non-breathable rain gear will be pretty uncomfortable. You will generate your own moisture (it's called sweat), and the non-breathable rain gear will keep it all inside--it will have no way to escape.

Archived