Heat on Cruise Ship?

piejamin

Do the cruise ships actually have heating systems? I am a naturally cold person and we are going in May, so I know how to layer for outdoors, but do I need my warm sweaters and such inside too?

Thanks!

Cruise ships run on huge diesel engines that generate more heat than you can imagine. That waste heat is used for general heating of the cabins and public areas, hot water, possibly steam for the kitchen areas.

They use the heat, not the exhaust fumes (ugh).

You will be quite comfy in the 'indoor' places onboard. But you will be cool to very cold outdoors, especially when the ship is parked in front of a glacier for an hour or two.

Do the cruise ships actually have heating systems? I am a naturally cold person and we are going in May, so I know how to layer for outdoors, but do I need my warm sweaters and such inside too?

Thanks!

They have indoor plumbing also.

Just teasing. The question sounded funny. Seriously, I am always cold on cruise ships, even in the Caribbean. Bring sweaters.

I have never taken a thermometer aboard but would estimate the temperature in public area to be in the range of 70 to 72*. You may find the dining venues to be be a bit cool to start with but as the room fills up with people the temp does go up.:)

Thanks!

Yep, the ships have all the conveniences, heat, plumbing, electricity. It's all good!

Yes, they don't keep it too cool inside but, if you step outside to see if you can spot a whale or just check out the beautiful sites, it does get chilly! So, bring a light sweater or jacket that you can put on or off easily and you will be fine.:)

Archived