Rhodes..questions as follows to anyone that
has been there! I love archaeology and history
and want to see the real deal...

Samos- is this an island that can be toured
on own? What are the MUST do's?? Achaeological
Museum? Also, can one get to Patmos from Samos
on just a date trip?

Rhodes- What about Lindos Acropolis?

looking for general advice..I hate being in large groups , am very active. What to buy there
what is particularly unique.

Janet,

Samos and Patmos are about 30 miles apart. There is ferry service to Patmos from Pythagorion, the Samos port where Westerdam is scheduled to dock.

We are on the same itinerary (7 May) and the ship is scheduled to be at Samos from 8 am to 11 p.m., so time is on your side.

If hydrofoils serve that route you probably could make a day trip, depending on the schedules.

With slower boats it could be a problem.

I would be more comfortable if there was frequent service on hydrofoils and the day-long weather forecast was agreeable.

It would be a sinking feeling to see the Westerdam sailing away as you returned on the ferry!

You wouldn't be all that far from the next scheduled port, Kusadasi, but I wouldn't want to have to swim it.

Some of the best ruins we have seen are at Ephesus, which is near Kusadasi. It is not to be missed.

There also are some interesting ruins on Malta, also on that same itinerary, that are said to predate the pyramids.

Have a wonderful cruise!

thanks! We are on the May 19 sailing from VCE
and are very excited.. I have found outstanding
info on this sight and have booked private guides in Athens and Santorini as a result..just
wanting to make sure the time is maximized!

thanks much..

Janet, Rhodes is almost like two different islands. On one hand, you have the ruins at Lindos (they are very ruined) and on the other hand you have large strips of beach full of hotels, bungee jumping off of cranes, para-sailing, etc. Many Europeans (particularly the British) go to Rhodes for a Miami-type beach vacation. Having seen much of this island, we like to enjoy a day at the beach and also explore parts of Rhodes City (easy to do on your own on foot). By all means go to Lindos to see the ruins, enjoy the view, and unfortunately soak up the carnival atmosphere outside the walls. You can easily get to Lindos on your own via taxi. I am not sure of the cost, but it will be cheaper than the overpriced ships tours. This is one of those wonderful Greek Island ports where there is something to please everyone.

Hank

Archived