Need Help finding best cruise for 70 yo single woman....

cruiselovernj123

My mom is turning 70 in May and my brother and I would like to surprise her with a singles cruise to Europe that is age appropriate. I think she would prefer a roommate....

We need suggestions for the best cruiseline for her situation - something somewhat organized would be preferred since I know she may be uncomfortable (at first)....

Thanks!

... We need suggestions for the best cruiseline for her situation - something somewhat organized would be preferred since I know she may be uncomfortable (at first)...

Perhaps the following Cruise Critic article may help:

Cruise "Welcome Mat" Varies for Solos at http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=21

Also, click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisestyles/area.cfm?area=28 for the Singles Cruises page for more information.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...
My mom is turning 70 in May and my brother and I would like to surprise her with a singles cruise to Europe that is age appropriate. I think she would prefer a roommate....

We need suggestions for the best cruiseline for her situation - something somewhat organized would be preferred since I know she may be uncomfortable (at first)....

Thanks!

I like Hal. it attracts an older clientelle, and they offer a better single supplement that some of the other lines. I sat at a table with several women, our ages ranged from 55 to 75, and everyone had a very nice cruise. I wouldnt count on her wanting a roomate... but if she does, Holland America offers a share program. I will be sailing on Sept 26 to Europe, staying on board for 20 days, but you can also do just 10....maybe I will see her there!!!!

Barb

I think HAL, Celebrity or Princess would be a good choice. BUT, knowing how set in their ways seniors can be, I'm not so sure that rooming with a stranger would be a good idea. You're going to spend all that money and what happens if she gets the roommate from hell? It would totally ruin her vacation.

I am 65, and I've done two cruises so far. My first was with HAL in '98. I used their share program, and was booked in the same cabin with an 88 year old retired school teacher. While we didn't become "friends for life", I think we both enjoyed each others company, and the cruise.

My second cruise was just in February, on Celebrity Solstice. I traveled with my very best friend (we are more like sisters), and it was her first cruise. Prior to the cruise we had met up with an organized group, of which we became a part. The group was great, the cruise was great, the weather was lousy!!! But we had a fantastic time.

I have now booked with a singles group, requesting a roommate, with ***** for their Oct. 25, 2009 sailing on the Emerald Princess. Even though I don't know who I might be sharing with, I'm still very excited. It's a CRUISE, and I'll be with others who are also single. Hopefully some will be in my age bracket, but even if I'm the eldest in age...age only matters if you're cheese! I know I will still have a great time.

I'm wondering if an organized group cruise might not be an idea for your mother? While I loved the HAL cruise, the only person I started out meeting was my cabinmate...I had to make my own "friends" while on board. Had I been with a group I would have meet more people under organized conditions.

I would like to know how this turns out for you, so I'll be following this thread. I hope this turns out to be a great gift for her. :D

I have to echo the idea of using an organized group. I took my 64-year old mother with me on a singles cruise last spring and she had a great time. There were several people close to her age and she enjoyed meeting them. There are two major agencies that provide singles cruises (just google it on the internet) and they both do a good job. Both also offer European cruises about once a year and a Baby Boomer or 40+ cruise -- both may be good options for your mom. Good luck!

Christine

• 1 month later...

If your Mom is an extrovert, it helps! I did my first solo last Oct. after my husband passed away from lung cancer and it took a lot of courage to do it - bottom line, I had a great time and met very nice people from CC. I am very out going and don't have a problem talking to strangers on a cruise. I actually liked having my own cabin and not sharing. I was on RCL out of Boston.Good luck!

Rosemary

Archived