Baths input please - Mom on oxygen

GreatToBeGrammy

Hi,

My mom, sister and I will be cruising in 2 weeks and we hope want to experience the Baths at Virgin Gorda. We plan to taxi and ferry over and back on our own so we can take our time and enjoy the time there.

Mom is in her 60s and gets around well, but she's on oxygen (from years of smoking - quit in January). She wears a portable concentrator in a shoulder bag. Mom really wants to do the Baths, but we are unsure if this can be done since she has the oxygen bag.

I was wondering if it would be okay to put the concentrator in a waterproof bag and then in a backpack and Mom wear it. Could she get through in this manner?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Terry

Truthfully I think I would let mom stay at the restaurant at the top of the Baths and enjoy the beautiful view. It might be a little strenuous for her with the hike down, through and back up.

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I'll let her know it may be difficult for her and that there is a place for her to sit and relax. Is there any thing else to do at the restaurant? After going through the baths, then there is the beach to swim/snorkel in and then go up a different trail to get out? Will we go back by the restaurant?

Thanks,

Terry

I couldn't even imagine somebody on oxygen making the trip down to the baths and back up. While it is not Mt. Caribe, it is not a walk in the park either(no pun intended).

There are two restaurants at the top of the hill.....one pricey with great views, the other called Mad Dog's with great sandwiches, ice cream, beer, and sodas. Great prices too. A great place to eat before catching the shuttle back to the ferry.

• 3 weeks later...

The hike through the Baths is quite strenuous. There are some very tight squeezes between the rocks, places you need to crawl through and there is even a ladder to climb. We did this with a couple both of whom had some mobility issues and they had a vdery difficult time.

If your Mom is reasonably fit, but doesn't want to climb through the rocks, there is a beach (with a bar) at the bottom of the steps. There are a number of "boulder pools" and an area of nice beach for sunning and swimming. It's a nice area without the climbing, squeezing, and stooping. She could stay there and return to the top by the same path you came down.....then meet at the restaurant.

Archived