Headbands?

Sailaways_

Hi everyone,

I was browsing Forever21's site (I've never shopped there before) and found this headband. I was thinking it would look cute for formal night, but I'm not sure if it looks too little kid-ish. What do you guys think? Would it be too dull to wear this with a black dress, too?

49470091-01.jpg

And yes, before anyone asks...I'm totally stealing my style from Gossip Girl. I love that show!

I'm a really big fan of headbands. I think they're great for all sorts of occasions, whether it be casual or formal. I think the one you showed would be fine with a black dress, as long as it doesn't "disappear" in your hair. You didn't mention what your hair color is but if the black is too close to the color of your hair, I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm a really big fan of headbands. I think they're great for all sorts of occasions, whether it be casual or formal. I think the one you showed would be fine with a black dress, as long as it doesn't "disappear" in your hair. You didn't mention what your hair color is but if the black is too close to the color of your hair, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks! Yeah, that was another one of my worries, about it disappearing into my hair. I have medium brown hair, so that might happen. :o

I think something like this also depends on your hair style and especially your age. If you're fairly young, it will look very pretty.

My hair is naturally stick-straight (it won't curl for ANYTHING!), which is why I've been looking into headbands. I'm fifteen, but I'm worried I might not even be able to pull off this style/if other people think it looks little kiddish, lol.

I think a lot is going to depend on the style of the dress. If it's a "classic" or upscale style, then I think it will look fine. If it's a bit more juvenile then the headband is going to make the outfit look even more so, IMO. I teach and a lot of the HS girls wear either headbands like this or the actual small clip in bows and they look just fine. Granted many of them are "fun" prints and colors but I think what you have pictured will look classy and timeless with the right outfit.

Now if it were 40+ yo me wearing it, yeah it'd be too childish ;).

Hi everyone,

I was browsing Forever21's site (I've never shopped there before) and found this headband. I was thinking it would look cute for formal night, but I'm not sure if it looks too little kid-ish. What do you guys think? Would it be too dull to wear this with a black dress, too?

And yes, before anyone asks...I'm totally stealing my style from Gossip Girl. I love that show!

I'm going to upload some pics later when I'm on my office computer to show you examples (Gossip Girl, awesome!)...

I think in general it will look great on you (I'm guessing/hoping you are talking shorter or cocktail length dress?).

If it's that, then it's all black, so kick it up with some patterned Blair-Style tights - probably a sheer black with a pattern will look the most cool, yet sophisticated.

That takes it one more step up the ladder, on not looking like a little kid.

Something in this vibe:

34917481.jpg

I'd go all with the all black, if you go with this pattern.

Subtle, but kicks it up.

Otherwise, if you are going for plain leg look, then I'd kick up the headband with another color than black...

headband.jpg

See what I mean?

Just add one simple accessory (necklace, bracelet, clutch) that picks up on the headband color, and only one. Subtle.

60384652-01.jpg

(my personal favorite for you - a nice silver necklace or bracelet?)

58111027-03.jpg

49470091-04.jpg

Even this charcoal one in the same style, will probably look cooler.

Hopefully these give you ideas on finetuning it, but I think that you can and should totally "work it"!

Have fun, and let us know what you decide.

60384652-01.jpg

(my personal favorite for you - a nice silver necklace or bracelet?)

58111027-03.jpg

49470091-04.jpg

Hopefully these give you ideas on finetuning it, but I think that you can and should totally "work it"!

I love these silver & charcoal headbands! I'm going to need one too. :)

At fifteen, perfect! Especially with the hair style you are describing.

I just think that on most women over 30, a headband on formal night would look strange. Notice I said most--there are those who can pull it off. (Mostly model-types.)

A lot of girls your age are wearing them! I would suggest getting a little crystal brooch to add to the knot of the bow (if you are a crafty sort like me) to kick up the bling. (I do this with my one pair of evening shoes to make them look different each night.) Or how about a headband with a pop of color?

I LOVE the Gossip Girl look. You will look amazing. :)

If I was 15, I'd wear it. Go for it! Otherwise when you're 30 you'll wish you would have worn it when you could. :p

Lol! You're so right. I dress very plainly (boring, I know), which is probably why I'm even worried about a headband looking crazy. I better enjoy these styles while I can!

I'm going to upload some pics later when I'm on my office computer to show you examples (Gossip Girl, awesome!)...

I think in general it will look great on you (I'm guessing/hoping you are talking shorter or cocktail length dress?).

If it's that, then it's all black, so kick it up with some patterned Blair-Style tights - probably a sheer black with a pattern will look the most cool, yet sophisticated.

That takes it one more step up the ladder, on not looking like a little kid.

Something in this vibe:

34917481.jpg

I'd go all with the all black, if you go with this pattern.

Subtle, but kicks it up.

Otherwise, if you are going for plain leg look, then I'd kick up the headband with another color than black...

headband.jpg

See what I mean?

Just add one simple accessory (necklace, bracelet, clutch) that picks up on the headband color, and only one. Subtle.

49470091-04.jpg

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the advice! I loved the charcoal one, but figured I shouldn't wear it with black, but what you suggested (and the pics!) makes perfect sense. Definitely going to check out the charcoal headband now! I totally loved that dress when I saw it on GG but I never even noticed the tights. I think I'm too plain to pull them off, so I probably should just stick with a nice piece of jewelry or something.

Oh yeah, one more thing - I was planning on wearing the headband with a cocktail dress, but...do headbands look bad with a longer dress? sorry if it's a dumb question, but your advice on the headbands was awesome, so I figure it can't hurt to ask!

A lot of girls your age are wearing them! I would suggest getting a little crystal brooch to add to the knot of the bow (if you are a crafty sort like me) to kick up the bling. (I do this with my one pair of evening shoes to make them look different each night.) Or how about a headband with a pop of color?

I LOVE the Gossip Girl look. You will look amazing. :)

That's such a cool idea! I never would have thought of that. I love the idea of a brooch...it makes the headband look more vintage.

Thank you guys so much for all your advice and encouragement! I was a little nervous about posting on CC but you guys on the fashion forum are really great :)

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the advice! I loved the charcoal one, but figured I shouldn't wear it with black, but what you suggested (and the pics!) makes perfect sense. Definitely going to check out the charcoal headband now!

Yeah, go for the charcoal. I think it's perfect for you!

Oh yeah, one more thing - I was planning on wearing the headband with a cocktail dress, but...do headbands look bad with a longer dress? sorry if it's a dumb question, but your advice on the headbands was awesome, so I figure it can't hurt to ask!

No problem! I do work with a lot of young men's and women's fashion, but I tend to get lots more questions from the moms and wives about the sons and husbands here like this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773735

So I'm more than happy to give my two cents to help you out, even if it just gives you ideas or inspiration in the future.

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, although you have to be patient with me sometimes (if I'm out for work).

That being said...

I think that with a long dress, in general, it becomes more "formal", so the headband and accessories need to adjust for that.

I think it works best if people channel their inner Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly for that.

aca452b5dae4824c46c8ddc0e4011dbb.jpg

Ideally for a longer dress, I think that the headband works best if it's thinner in general (even if it's two or three thin strands) - and picking up on a flourish or crystal feel from the dress...

2c73f5f7359005b099695d1a2cfcb16b.jpg

Then choose either necklace or earrings, but not both.

The headband will take the place of one of the accessories for formal, especially if it's got crystal, shiny, or metallic tones.

Hope that helps with more ideas or inspiration!

Have fun!

Archived