help me decide which shore excursion combo to do????

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

I need some help deciding which excursion combination to do. Keep in mind that we don't want to do things independently, we prefer to book through the cruise ship.

combination #1: in Junea, the mendenhall glacier canoe trip and in Skagway, the glacier discovery by helicoptor.

combination #2: in Juneau, the pilots choice ice age exploration, and in Skagway the Glacier point wilderness safari.

We only want to book 1 excursion in each port of call. Combination #2 will cost us about $800.00 more. Are those choices so much better that I can justify spending that much more money on them? Are the views any better? Or is a glacier a glacier no matter which one you go to.

The video clip on princess for the Glacier point safari shows you getting pretty close to the glacier while keeping a safe distance, though on the Mendenhall glacier canoe trip the view is beautiful as well but doesn't show you getting that close? Will you still see the floating ice chunks by Mendenhall?

I know I have many questions and any opinions would be appreciated.

I need some help deciding which excursion combination to do. Keep in mind that we don't want to do things independently, we prefer to book through the cruise ship.

combination #1: in Junea, the mendenhall glacier canoe trip and in Skagway, the glacier discovery by helicoptor.

combination #2: in Juneau, the pilots choice ice age exploration, and in Skagway the Glacier point wilderness safari.

We only want to book 1 excursion in each port of call. Combination #2 will cost us about $800.00 more. Are those choices so much better that I can justify spending that much more money on them? Are the views any better? Or is a glacier a glacier no matter which one you go to.

The video clip on princess for the Glacier point safari shows you getting pretty close to the glacier while keeping a safe distance, though on the Mendenhall glacier canoe trip the view is beautiful as well but doesn't show you getting that close? Will you still see the floating ice chunks by Mendenhall?

I know I have many questions and any opinions would be appreciated.

I've done the helicopter to a glacier twice in Juneau. Loved it. It is my understanding that the helicopter/glacier trips are much better in Juneau. Don't recall seeing good reviews for the Mendenhall glacier canoe trip, but it is easy enough to get your own transportation to the Mendenhall glacier.

They are all good choices, IF OF interest to you??? Flightseeing, and Glacier Point, will cost more- they have more "punch" than the canoe trip.

Both get in range of the glacier, there is NO magic line they each go to, nor is there any point in trying to predict "who gets closer". It will be unique to your tour. And yes there is "ice" in the water at both.

Only you can decide your choices.

I haven't done a helicopter trip, so I can't tell you which port is better for that. The Mendenhall canoe excursion takes about half the time of the Glacier Point excursion from Skagway - where you first travel by boat to Haines, then do the bus/hike/canoe portion. If you want an excursion to take up most of your port time in Skagway - choose the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. If you want time to explore Skagway - choose the canoe trip in Juneau and the flight in Skagway.

Archived