Totally different alcohol question

huenix

Why do people seem to want to find a liquor store close to the port? From what I can see there is no legal reason you can't pack a bottle on your checked baggage on a plane, right?

Not trying to bring up the "Is it right to smuggle alcohol" question, I'm just curious.

I think it is more to the weight of the bottles of alcohol than the legality of packing it. :)

Bottles of liquid, especially glass bottles, can add a lot of weight to a suitcase. With the stritcly enforced weight limits of most US carriers it makes sense just to buy it in port. Not to mention there is no chance of broken/spilled liquid in your bag if you wait.

I think it is more to the weight of the bottles of alcohol than the legality of packing it. :)

Bottles of liquid, especially glass bottles, can add a lot of weight to a suitcase. With the stritcly enforced weight limits of most US carriers it makes sense just to buy it in port. Not to mention there is no chance of broken/spilled liquid in your bag if you wait.

Yes, I checked, 1 bottle of wine weighs in at 3lbs. so If you take 2 that's a lot of clothes out of my airline baggage allowance.

Just hypothetically, say I do not pack two bottles of my favorite spirits in the suitcase, thereby avoidingg the potential breakage issue and allowing DW the ability to pack several more pairs of shoes, which is infinitely more important. :)

I trudge over to the local liquor store after arriving at the embarkation port and purchase the necessary libation or libations. I know I will not be able to place the offending material into the carry-on bag, as it will be confiscated and then returned to me at the end of the cruise. I guess I could somehow figure out a means to put it into the already-overstuffed-with-shoes-luggage, but that has already been taken by the cruise line. :o

The obvious question then is how does one get the recently purchased beverages on board? :confused:

This is, of course, simply a hypothetical question as we would never “smuggle” alcohol on board. :rolleyes:

buy the libations before handing over the luggage to the porters and then take some of DW's shoes and put them in carry-on bags freeing up room in suitcase for libations bought before going to port

I guess I could somehow figure out a means to put it into the already-overstuffed-with-shoes-luggage, but that has already been taken by the cruise line. :o

The obvious question then is how does one get the recently purchased beverages on board? :confused:

If you are flying in the day of the cruise, and using a cruise line transfer to the ship, you are stuck....since you already gave them your luggage. If you are not using a transfer, have the taxi stop at a liquor store on the way to the port.

buy the libations before handing over the luggage to the porters and then take some of DW's shoes and put them in carry-on bags freeing up room in suitcase for libations bought before going to port

If you are flying in the day of the cruise, and using a cruise line transfer to the ship, you are stuck....since you already gave them your luggage. If you are not using a transfer, have the taxi stop at a liquor store on the way to the port.

Gotta love these boards. Thanks for the responses.

The sugestion makes sense if I can take the bags with me. I hope the store is close to the pier as the shoes really make the bags heavy, so I like to "dispose" of them as soon as possible.

I may be stuck as we are using the ship's transfers, but I'll try and stay optimistic that an opportunity will present itself.

Thanks, all. I get it now.

And I just realized my airline is going to charge me $15.00 for the first checked bag per person. I realize that its trivial in the grand scheme of the whole trip, but wow, it got me angry for a minute or two.

Archived