Turtles or Cameron Reid?

SunSoaker44

I know snorkeling with turtles and doing an island tour with Cameron is like comparing apples to oranges, but I really can't decide! The turtles seem like a really special experience (it would be just a 3 hour snorkel with Small Cats--anyone used them before?) or the 3-4 hour personalized guided tour with Cameron. If anyone has any viewpoints about what swept them off their feet more (the scenic beauty/history/culture of barbados) or the turtles, I'd really appreciate it! I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing with Cameron but so far Cherry Hill, Bathsheba and maybe the Mount Gay Rum tour sounds pretty interesting. Animal Flower cave is apparently closed on the day I'm there. :(

.. so far Cherry Hill, Bathsheba and maybe the Mount Gay Rum tour sounds pretty interesting.

Animal Flower cave is apparently closed on the day I'm there. :(

If this will be your first visit to the island, I suggest the island tour with Cameron Reid.

You speak of Animal Flower Cave being closed...

are you mixing-up this location with Harrisons Cave?(which closes Mon.and Tuesdays)?

Even if you're right about A.F.Cave, you should still go - the cliffside scenery is worth it.

NorthPoint-14.jpg

and there are interesting little shops up there!

NPoint-020.jpg

I know snorkeling with turtles and doing an island tour with Cameron is like comparing apples to oranges, but I really can't decide! The turtles seem like a really special experience (it would be just a 3 hour snorkel with Small Cats--anyone used them before?) or the 3-4 hour personalized guided tour with Cameron. If anyone has any viewpoints about what swept them off their feet more (the scenic beauty/history/culture of barbados) or the turtles, I'd really appreciate it! I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing with Cameron but so far Cherry Hill, Bathsheba and maybe the Mount Gay Rum tour sounds pretty interesting. Animal Flower cave is apparently closed on the day I'm there. :(

Just completed as cruise aboard Royal Clipper out of Barbados. Spent a couple days pre and post cruise on the island. We went on a catamaran sail that included a visit to the turtles (we sail and went for the sailing, bar and good food). I'm with Aplmac on his recommendation to take the island tour.

The turtles are nice to see in their native environment but that is just a 20-30 minute stop and all of the other catamaran excursion will be headed for the same group of tutles too. The skippers do their best to keep out of eachothers way but the reality is you will have 3-6 boats in the same area at the same time and your time with/near the turtles will be limited. Plus ... mother nature can work against you every now and then. The winds had been hitting the west side of the island for a couple days and the waters were kinda murky ... not the norm for a Caribbean snorkel.

First time visitor ... take the island tour as you will see things that can only be found on Barbados.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anyway to do a tour with Cameron AND see the turtles?????

I'd like to see Bathsheba and that side and see the turtles...possible?

It would not be impossible to get a taxi (Cameron Reid?) at the Port

and head straight for St.John's Church.

StJohns_Church.jpg

You'll see lots of the island on that cross-island route, as it is..

not to mention the view from that high point.

Leaving there, you'd make your way down to Bathsheba on the East Coast

Bathsheba-072.jpg

where Round House for lunch awaits.

After lunch, head straight across the island(different route,seeing more again)

to the West Coast at Paynes Bay or Holetown Beach

where you'll find a glass-bottom boat to take you swimming with the turtles

Here's a Facebook link to that subject

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=132093095789

Doesn't sound like you've done much,does it? (just a few paragraphs)

but after that little excursion in the sun, with lunch -and Punch :)

you'll probably be ready to go back to the ship, making your way down the West Coast towards the Port

OldandNew.jpg

By the end of the day

you would have seen a fair chunk of the mid-portion of the island

and both East and West coasts!

Wow....sounds great!! Sooooo when I go to either of those places to take a Glass bottom boat to the turtles would I be on my own to get back or would Cameron take care of that??? I emailed him but I am waiting for a response. I also email Glory about it....looks like her tours include this.....thoughts??? I am a little ify about Glory though after a forum I read today on here.....seems like things have been a lil wishy washy there.

Next question....if I do a glass bottom are they all snorkle tours too or just seeing the turtles??? What should I expect to pay for that? And how about timing....how much timewould all of this take??? I dont want to miss my ship.

So when I go to either of those places to take a Glass bottom boat to the turtles

would I be on my own to get back or would Cameron take care of that??? ===> Pay him for the day, to stay with you, wait for you.

if I do a glass bottom are they all snorkel tours too or just seeing the turtles??? ===> Not sure. A bit of both maybe?

What should I expect to pay for that? ===> I can't help you there,sorry..

As a local, we don't exactly do turtle tours weekly, I'm sure U understand?

And how about timing....how much time would all of this take???

I don't want to miss my ship. ===> Cameron/Your Taxi Driver will advise U as to time,I'm sure

This is your first cruise, isn't it...

RN, when you take it upon yourself to do an independent tour, you also take it upon yourself to get back to the ship on time. Tour operators like Cameron and like Glory Tours who do this on a regular basis are very aware of when the ships are in port and their schedule and will do their very best to get you back on time, but it is all on you to not overschedule your activities to the point where you are in danger of missing the ship's reboarding time. Remember, you have to go back thru security at the terminal gate and reboard the bus just to get back to the ship, so you have to allow time for that. So, for example, if your ship is departing at 5PM, you need to be back onboard at 4:30PM. You will need to be at the terminal gate no later than 4PM, as it will be a last-minute crush of people trying to hustle to the ship. So, that means wherever you are on the island around 3PM, you need to be thinking about heading for the cruise port.

As Aplmac has emphasized to you, it can make people crazy trying to pack too much into one cruise stop on Barbados and they return to the ship with their head spinning, not sure what they've seen. So, here is my recommendation to you, given that we've chatted on 2 different threads. You seem to have a high priority on seeing turtles. I truly can understand this, as I love to snorkel and seeing those lovely sea creatures is a highlight of any vacation for me. So, why not do that first thing when you get off the ship? Bear in mind that turtles are wild animals, and seeing them in the wild is dependent on a lot of factors, and so you are likely to see them but you could be disappointed. If you can go out on your tour and just enjoy seeing some beautiful fish and consider it a bonus if you see some turtles, that's the mindset you need to have an enjoyable day. Here are some options you may want to explore:

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/barbados.cfm

http://www.outdoorsbarbados.com/barbados-service-list.cfm?servicetype=2&servicecategory=3&service=12

http://westwater-adventures-barbados.com/tours.html

http://www.theseaeye.com/

It appears that all of these offer pickup/dropoff options at the pier, so that you could arrange for your tour with Cameron to start after your turtle tour. You could arrange for Cameron or his driver to pick you up at the tour location after your turtle tour to save a return trip to the pier and you could then more quickly begin your tour with Cameron. We did do the Atlantis submarine our very first visit to Barbados and it was very enjoyable, but I can't say for sure we saw turtles. I just included it as an option.

HTH,

Becki

DTCC, nothing to apologize for. :) Cameron Reid is indeed a tour operator on Barbados and a very reputable one. He offers standardized tours or you may hire a car and driver for a set number of hours and put together your own tour if you have specific sights you wish to see. Here is Cameron's website so that you can see the tours he offers: www.scenicbarbados.com. His email is there in the website for contact purposes.

Becki

Just came back from a tour with Cameron last week~~~what a wonderful man!! This was one of the best tours we did, and you won't be disappointed. Loved his interpitation of the horn honks on the island. Our tablemates went on a turtle tour and only saw 1 turtle the whole time.

Just came back from a tour with Cameron last week~~what a wonderful man!!

This was one of the best tours we did, and you won't be disappointed.

Loved his interpretation of the horn honks on the island.

You guys up North don't speak this language?

What d'you think God gave cars horns for?? :D

When you get here, be sure to ask your driver about it.

It's a tootin language 'spoken' pretty much up and down the islands, you'll find.. ;)

Just came back from a tour with Cameron last week~~~what a wonderful man!! This was one of the best tours we did, and you won't be disappointed. Loved his interpitation of the horn honks on the island. Our tablemates went on a turtle tour and only saw 1 turtle the whole time.

Wow...thank you for your comment. I am booked with him and still sorting out what all to do. WOuld you share what you did with Cameron and what the cost was for you??

Thanks;)

Archived