Sapphire Coastal May 9 has anyone done this?

californiacruiser

Have done the southbound cruise in Sep and had a ball! We're on the northbound one this May to see some different ports. Santa Barbara and Astoria weren't on the southbound trip and we skipped the stop in Victoria in Sep due to high winds so that'll be new also.

Weather should be OK.

Have done the southbound cruise in Sep and had a ball! We're on the northbound one this May to see some different ports. Santa Barbara and Astoria weren't on the southbound trip and we skipped the stop in Victoria in Sep due to high winds so that'll be new also.

Weather should be OK.

I will be curious if you actually get to Santa Barbara on the Sapphire. Santa Barbara has a history of denying the Diamond and Sapphire and there always seems to be a last minute schedule change (after final payment) to Catalina.

Supposedly - Santa Barbara doesn't like large ships visiting their port.

I will be curious if you actually get to Santa Barbara on the Sapphire. Santa Barbara has a history of denying the Diamond and Sapphire and there always seems to be a last minute schedule change (after final payment) to Catalina.

Coral

Then why is Princess scheduling a large ship into Santa Barbara if they have a history in denying ships into their port? That doesn't seem right?

Coral

Then why is Princess scheduling a large ship into Santa Barbara if they have a history in denying ships into their port? That doesn't seem right?

I know they cancelled the ships in 06 and 07. I went last year and when we booked Catalina was already on the schedule (we booked late so I don't know if they switched it). Not sure if it went in 08. I know when the Sapphire and Diamond has been denied, the Coral Princess did go.

I know they cancelled the ships in 06 and 07. I went last year and when we booked Catalina was already on the schedule (we booked late so I don't know if they switched it). Not sure if it went in 08. I know when the Sapphire and Diamond has been denied, the Coral Princess did go.

Oh well we haven't been to Catalina also so either port would be new to us.

Coral also we are from Tucson AZ and we are planning on flying in the day of the cruise and doing Princess air. If Princess does the direct flight into LAX which is only 1 1/2 hr flight getting into LAX around 8 am or 10 am. Would you come in the day of the cruise or fly in the the night prior to be on the safe side?

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this and if so what to expect. Are the ports good. How do you think the weather is in May? Any help would be appreciated.

Ive done this three times, weather is great on the first 2 days.

Last or fouth day can be a little chilly.

Most of these coastal go direct to Vancouver.

I like these short no stop cruises, very relaxing.

Have fun

Coral also we are from Tucson AZ and we are planning on flying in the day of the cruise and doing Princess air. If Princess does the direct flight into LAX which is only 1 1/2 hr flight getting into LAX around 8 am or 10 am. Would you come in the day of the cruise or fly in the the night prior to be on the safe side?

Unfortunately - I can't answer that. I live in NE where flights are always delayed and we are unaware of what the words "direct flights" mean :).

I always fly in a day before. The good news is that if for some reason you miss your flight, you could easily drive to the next port (or if it is Catalina - you can ferry to the next port). Your itinerary is a tad different then ours - we had San Diego and you have Seattle.

If you decide to spend the night before - Princess has very reasonable rates at the LAX Marriott - it is like $69 a person (or similar) and includes transfer to the ship. I have stayed there 2x and it is a clean hotel.

Hopefully a local can comment on the Santa Barbara and large ships issue

Unfortunately - I can't answer that. I live in NE where flights are always delayed and we are unaware of what the words "direct flights" mean :).

I always fly in a day before. The good news is that if for some reason you miss your flight, you could easily drive to the next port (or if it is Catalina - you can ferry to the next port). Your itinerary is a tad different then ours - we had San Diego and you have Seattle.

If you decide to spend the night before - Princess has very reasonable rates at the LAX Marriott - it is like $69 a person (or similar) and includes transfer to the ship. I have stayed there 2x and it is a clean hotel.

Hopefully a local can comment on the Santa Barbara and large ships issue

Knowing us we will probuably fly in the day prior, but with us so close we have an option in flying the day of. $69 pp is pretty good price to be on the safe side.

I did the coastal May 06 on Island and May 07 on Diamond. We were able to stop and tender into Santa Barbara both times. In fact it was so warm May 07 that I ran into the Macy's in Santa Barbara for a pair of shorts!!! It was a bit chilly in Astoria, though.

I did the coastal May 06 on Island and May 07 on Diamond. We were able to stop and tender into Santa Barbara both times. In fact it was so warm May 07 that I ran into the Macy's in Santa Barbara for a pair of shorts!!! It was a bit chilly in Astoria, though.

I am surprised as the Captain had told us that the locals in Santa Barbara didn't want the mega ships to stop there.

The locals are not fond of big ships in the port. The sea level can get low and it maybe a reason the ships skip the port for Catalina.

I live in the area and I am going on the cruise. Been to Catalina a bunch - it's a tourist destination with very little to do. Santa Barbara is a treasure trove. WE will be there the day of the art show, it's will be Mother's day. There is a shuttle from Stearns Wharf up State Street. The Santa Barbara zoo is nearly. You can rent pedal surrey's right there or bicycles. Strolling is great. There are a few good restaurants near the wharf. The architecture is Spanish style and interesting; There is an Art Museum with great exhibits on State Street. It's a walking street-

This is my second coastal cruise - we love the ports and could go again and again - and we will go again I am sure.

I think SB will happily accept the cruise ships now with the economy the way it is. I live here and we could use the $$ from tourism!! :p

I used to live not very far from Santa Barbara. I don't think they like ANYONE.

WOW... That's a sad little comment :(

Are we talking about the same Santa Barbara?

The people here are very kind.

I've only lived here for about 2 1/2 years and have never had a major problem with nasty people.

i've been on 4 coastals on the diamond and sapphire (3 in may, 1 in sept) and have always stopped in santa barbara. its the first port i ever took a tender on. we didn't do a tour here, but walked to the end of the beach area and took the public transit to the end of the line and back (50 cents each way). we were very fortunate to have a city planner on the bus once and she gave us commentary during the ride. it was hot in may, definately shorts weather.

san francisco is one of my favourite places. very tourist friendly and walkable. and leaving port, sailing under the golden gate bridge is awe inspiring. (and windy!). it was also warm here, but seemed to have a cooling sea breeze.

i don't venture far in astoria. they have a cute market set up at the dock with crafts etc. it been windy and chilly here for us.

i'm kind of partial to victoria! i love that everyone goes on tours and i have the ship mostly to myself! and may weather is usually pleasant.

one of my coastals started in la and went south to san diego first. that was a treat!

have a wonderful cruise.

Ive done this three times, weather is great on the first 2 days.

Last or fouth day can be a little chilly.

Most of these coastal go direct to Vancouver.

I like these short no stop cruises, very relaxing.

Have fun

You might not be aware of this, but the cruise in question is a 7-night cruise with 5 port days, so your 'short no stop cruises' comment doesn't really apply to this one! :eek:

i've been on 4 coastals on the diamond and sapphire (3 in may, 1 in sept) and have always stopped in santa barbara. its the first port i ever took a tender on. we didn't do a tour here,

Well - I guess Santa Barbara was very picky for a few years as we had conversations with the Captain and I do know that year, (both May and Sept) and another sailing I followed, they switched to Catalina. This past year when we went, Catalina was on the itinerary.

I really wish I would have gone to Santa Barbara as I hear it is lovely.

We've done this cruise twice, once each way and season. It's a nice little cruise. My husband loves Astoria, as he always walks up to the top of the "mountain" there. I just hang out in the coffee places and the craft market.

The one time we had Santa Barbara on the schedule (in 9/2006), Catalina was substituted. My husband took another hiking expedition to the top of the island. We have friends on the upcoming on the Sapphire, who are planning on going on a wine country tour in Santa Barbara. So, they'll be quite disappointed if the port is cancelled.

Archived