Our first RCI Cruise-Alaska- Lot's of Questions!!

I'm so glad I found this board! My husband and I are on the Radiance of the Seas departing Sept 11th from Vancouver. Hubbies first cruise ever, and my first on RCI, and to Alaska.

Would love to hear about similar trip reports and any tips.

Specifically wanted to find out what time is suggested for embarkation. We are staying in Seattle the night before and taking Amtrak up first thing on the 11th. Trying to figure out what time we have to be, or can be at the ship!!

Has anyone done Captain Larry's in Juneau from this itinerary? It looks like we don't reach Juneau until noon, and his middle tour departs at noon. Is the 3:00 tour too late? Can we still see the glacier?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Yes, Orca Enterprises is a great operator. As for Glacier??? Yes you will see plenty of glaciers- have a good pair of binoculars. You may be going at a less than ideal time- be well prepared. It can be colder- expect temps 40-60's, ave 3 days of rain, take good rain gear and 2 pair of walking shoes. Dusk around 7pm- so plan your shore time carefully.

We've been to Alaska twice on RCI. Both times we were at the pier by noon. We were among the first groups to get on the ship. I believe we were onboard around 1PM or so.

At the pier the last two years they had a concession that sold some very nice self focusing binoculars. We bought a special package the first year that gave us one large set, and one small set so that we each had one. The smaller set is more for indoor viewing than wildlife viewing but it worked OK for outdoors also. However, I was impressed enough with the larger ser my wife used that I bought a second pair the next year. I really love them since neither of us has to worry about focusing. Just point at what you want to look at and it's in focus. They're great.

You can probably find as good a pair locally as you can at the pier. Where we live, wildlife viewing apparently isn't a big seller for binoculars and people aren't willing to pay the difference. There was limited selection and I wasn't as happy with any of what I found before leaving for our second trip. We also spent two nights in Vancouver before the cruise and didn't find anything I liked as well, so I just waited and purchased the second pair at the pier.

As far as cost, I believe they ran me $175 Canadian for the one pair. I'm not sure what that worked out to with the Exchange rate but I think probably $140 or so. I really can't recall what the package price was for the two pairs.

We're planning on doing the Hawaiian cruise in 2005 when the ships sailing Alaska use Hawaii to reposition for their winter homes. We've both seen Vancouver a couple of times now but have never spent time in Seattle as tourists. We are also thinking hard about taking Amtrak to Vancouver from Seattle. In looking at the schedule, the 7:45 AM train is the one I plan on taking. It will get us into Vancouver before noon and with a taxi from the train station, I figure to be at the pier before 1pm.

The incons next to the train schedule had the emblem for bus next to all the other trains leaving Seattle for Vancouver. I'm not sure if that means the rest of the schedule is by bus for the entire route or just part of the route. If you wanted to leave later then I'd call to make sure. Amtrak is around $62 but you could take one of the shuttle busses for $41. If I'm were going to have to ride a bus, then I'd take the cheaper route.

There was also a recent poast about someone renting from one of the rental car companies with a one way rental, dropping the car off in Vancouver. I think it was with National. The rate they posted was very inexpensive. I think the drop off fee was something like $45 or maybe that was the entire cost of the rental, including drop off. I haven't rerearched that option yet.

I'm pretty sure we'll do the train. Neither of us have ridden Amtrak, it seems to be a route that has some scenery, I like the idea of being able to stretch my legs, no waiting in a line of cars at the boarder, there's a dining car for a snack if I'm hungry and I can take a nap if I want to. All plusses in my book.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Just a few notes:

We have been to Alaska 4 times, Each time a little different. 2 Were Repo cruises - Vancouver/Alaska/San Diego & the reverse.

One of these was in Sept. And again, we had taken our first cruise to Ak in Sept and were pleasanly surprised with the weather......But, one never knows. Make sure you take clothing that can be layered, as well as rainwear. Walking shoes.

Larry"s fishing had many people satisfied with their trip....Hubby was unable to be accomodated by them, so he went on a fishing trip in Ketchikan (Ketchikan Charter Boats Inc.)

Located just acroos from cruise ship docking - (booked at this sight,less$ than on cruise ship.

They caught 36 Salmon between 6 people.

The Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau was a worthwhile excursion - Did this by cab, we doubled up with another couple. Many times weather is not suitable for planning plane trips or Helicopter trips.

Bring those binoculars and camera.

You'll love Alaska

Nancy from New England

ktmoffitt We will be taking the Radiance in August 2005. We will be going from Vancouver to Vancouver. We have sailed many times before; mostly Caribbean and Europe. This will cruise will be our first to Alaska and on the Radiance. I look forward to hearing about all your wonderful memeories when you return. Have a fabulous time.

We did Radiance to Alaska last June, and are going on Serenade in July (Final payment made today!).

Link to pics from last year in signature!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800time98.gif

Until we sail Serenade of the Seas (Alaska) - July 11-18, 2004

Meet and Mingle HERE

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) - June 21-28, 2003

Pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/gregjtx

Nordic Empress (Caribbean)- June, 1993

We did the Radiance last July to Alaska, and had a wonderful time. In Juneau, we did the ship's whale watching tour and had a wonderful time. They used Dolphin jet--only about 35 max on our boat--great naturalist and captain. It was only slightly higher than booking on our on, and we loved it.

Wonder 10/01; Magic 1/02; Wonder 10/02; Radiance 7/03; Wonder 10/03; Magic 9/04

ktmoffit: The Travel cable channel has a one hour program covering a Radiance cruise to Alaska, made a year or two ago. It shows the beautiful ship and the beautiful landscape and seascape and the glaciers, and also the White Pass train ride. It is a lovely program and worth watching for when it is shown again. It is shown every 2 or 3 months, I think. You will love Alaska and the Radiance.

jim

Thank you so much for all the info!! We can't wait for September. Does anyone know if there are specific trip reports for RCI on a website, like the DISboards have for the Disney Cruise line? There are a few on this board by ship, but weren't many at all for the Radiance of the Seas.

Thanks Again and Happy Cruising!

ktmoffitt

I haven't been to Alaska on the Radiance--BUT--Alaska is our favorite destination and the Radiance is my favorite ship. She's beautiful. Lots to do, but not so big as to be overwhelming (at least to us). You'll have a great time.

If you're interested I have some photos from our trip a couple years ago on the Vision to Alaska. Follow the webshots link.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

We went to Alaska last year on the June 28th cruise on Radiance. It's a gorgeous ship - lots of glass and we liked being able to get out on the heliport area way forward on the ship. In Skagway we enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching the sea planes take off and land. That was after we had taken a rental car up the highway where we saw and followed a bear for an hour or so. He was right outside the car window! In Ketchikan we took a crab boat out to pull in crab pots. Went back to this really neat little resort for a crab dinner - all you could eat. Also in Ketchikan we saw guys up at the bridge catching huge salmon right from the shore. We heard you could just rent a fishing pole at the dock. I bought some ear muffs in Juneau and wore them the whole trip. Was surprised how really warm they were. Plan on lots of layers of clothing, whatever it takes to keep your hands and feet warm - I took after ski boots. And could not have gotten along without my long underwear - the silky kind that fits well under jeans. It RAINED in Ketchikan, which is usual. We just used those inespensive ponchos over everything and we were fine. Enjoy!

Gjustice Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of Alaska. Would you mind telling me what type of camera did you use?

NCmom, MBisson, Bucky3 We are going on the Radiance to Alaska in 8/05. Did you all have balcony cabins? If so, what were their numbers, and did you find them good for viewing. Thanks all in advance for your comments.

ktmoffitt, We'll be on the same cruise! My DH, myself, both of our moms, and his aunt. We're flying into Vancouver on Saturday touring Butchcart Gardens, then off to the ship on Sunday

Azure Seas February 1988

Rhapsody of the Seas March 2001

Carnival's Ectasy February 2002

Voyager of the Seas September 2003

Serenade of the Seas September 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Italy52:

_Gjustice_ Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of Alaska. Would you mind telling me what type of camera did you use?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, it's a Canon PowerShot S400 4Megapixel Digital camera.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s400/index.html

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800time98.gif

Meet and Mingle HERE

WAHHHHHH! We had to cancel the Radiance this September and re-booked it for 5/05. We would have been on your cruise icon_frown.gif You might check out the ports of call section on the message board. I got a lot of great ideas from them.

JB

UPCOMING CRUISES:

Splendour of the Seas 4/04

Enchantment of the Seas 9/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;9;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Radiance of the Seas 5/05 - Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2005;5;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We were in a Cat D with a balcony. I can't remember the number. It was on Deck 9 midship starboard side. Excellent for viewing the glaciers and scenery. I would highly recommend a balcony--we spent alot of time in the cabin reading, and viewing the scenery. I never found any boards as helpful as the disboards, but did find several excellent reports. If I can find the links, I'll post.

Wonder 10/01; Magic 1/02; Wonder 10/02; Radiance 7/03; Wonder 10/03; Magic 9/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ebielik:

GJustice - When in July are you sailing? We are on the Serenade July 18-25.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The week before you. We'll try to leave her in good shape for you!

Meet and Mingle HERE

Thanks - and I should have looked further on in your message - it showed that. Sorry.

Have you decided on shore excursions yet?

Have a great time!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

In Skagway we enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching the sea planes take off and land

I have never seen sea planes in Skagway and don't think there are any?- They are in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan.

Archived