HAL Personal Cruise Consultant - I'm not happy

the2ofus

After booking many cruises with agencies or booking on my own through HAL, I decided to try using a PCC. I am not happy with the experience.

The young man wrote me a nice introductory letter after my return from my most recent cruise. I thought I'd give him a try. Now I regret it.

After a couple of phone calls and e-mails and waits for his response, he did get us set up for our next cruise. We didn't get any bargain, but he did promise to get us a reduction if the price for our cabins went down before final payment. We booked using a future cruise reservations from our most recent cruise.

However, more than a week went by and I had no confirmation of the reservation, nor did the other people who booked with me. I reached him again by phone and he claimed he'd made an error in my e-mail address which did not explain why no-one else got their confirmation. One person is still waiting two weeks after booking. My confirmation looks like she is on my booking and I specifically stated that her booking was separate from mine and that she was to receive all her own documents, correspondence, etc.

I have zero confidence in this guy. Can anyone give me a name and phone number so that I can reach someone higher on the chain of command in his department?

After booking many cruises with agencies or booking on my own through HAL, I decided to try using a PCC. I am not happy with the experience.

The young man wrote me a nice introductory letter after my return from my most recent cruise. I thought I'd give him a try. Now I regret it.

After a couple of phone calls and e-mails and waits for his response, he did get us set up for our next cruise. We didn't get any bargain, but he did promise to get us a reduction if the price for our cabins went down before final payment. We booked using a future cruise reservations from our most recent cruise.

However, more than a week went by and I had no confirmation of the reservation, nor did the other people who booked with me. I reached him again by phone and he claimed he'd made an error in my e-mail address which did not explain why no-one else got their confirmation. One person is still waiting two weeks after booking. My confirmation looks like she is on my booking and I specifically stated that her booking was separate from mine and that she was to receive all her own documents, correspondence, etc.

I have zero confidence in this guy. Can anyone give me a name and phone number so that I can reach someone higher on the chain of command in his department?

I used to have a friend that worked there. The direct number for the personal cruise consultant department is 800-355-3017. I'm guessing you can call that department and ask to talk to a supervisor.

Thank you Nik953, I will try that number.

I need to correct an earlier statement. Since I did the booking for both of us, I realized we would have the same booking number. However, I specifically stated that we were two different people in two different cities who would be sharing a cabin, and we each wanted our own documents, our own e-mail and mail notifications. He confirmed that he understood and I made sure he had name, address, e-mail and mariner number for the other party.

I specifically stated that I did not want to be receiving info which I then would be expected to forward to the other person.

The couple who are going on the cruise with us and booked the next day with the same PCC on my recommendation are not getting their information timely either.

I have zero confidence in this guy.

I am glad you stated you "have zero confidence in this guy" rather than slam the whole cruise line for his incompetency. It is nice to see that people do understand the difference between one individual or one bad experience & the whole company.

Good luck with your problems. I am sure they will be rectified as soon as you are able to contact a supervisor.

Schwabby,

I booked my previous cruise directly with a HAL booking agent, but not through a PCC.

Shortly after returning from that cruise last Fall , I received a letter from this PCC which included an offer of a small credit if I booked a new cruise within a certain time frame. I could not afford to take him up on that offer at the time. However, when I was ready to book this new cruise, I dug out his letter from my file, thinking it would be nice to work with a PCC for a change.

As I understand it, hammy, an agent is someone in the phone room. They take calls at random from any and all. A PCC, on the other hand, works with specific individuals on a continuing basis, once they are assigned. With the agents, you'll get whomever answers your line every time you call. With the PCC and their dedicated number, you get your own personal consultant.

Hi, Jane. I'm sorry to read of your experience with your PCC; I used one a couple of times and I was very satisfied. I hope your situation can be rectified, and you will be able to say the same.

Please let us know how this works out.

With the agents, you'll get whomever answers your line every time you call. With the PCC and their dedicated number, you get your own personal consultant.

I have to agree with hammy. What is the difference? Shouldn't both answers be identical? Shouldn't the quoted price be the same?

I have to agree with hammy. What is the difference? Shouldn't both answers be identical? Shouldn't the quoted price be the same?

Agree with what? Hammy asked only what the difference is; Jim explained it well.

Answers to what? Prices for what? OP didn't allege anything about different answers or prices. She posted that her PCC isn't providing the service she requested---which is to provide a confirmation of her booking, and that each party should get their own copy.

See if you can get your booking turned over to Lance English, another PCC in Seattle. He loves he job (always says so) and I don't think he would drop the ball on your reservation.

The difference with a PCC is that you get someone with a direct line and email address instead of whomever answers the phone that day. He/she is your personal agent.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Why would anyone want a TA that is part of the cruise line and their management structure? It's not like you are getting your cruises cheaper through him. Guess what? Doesn't matter what travel agent you use. The cruise cost the same amount regardless. Oh, you might save a couple of bucks if the agency has some group space offering some special bennies, but that's about it. Otherwise, the PCC charges you the same amount as the travel agent down the street ... because the price is the same for all.

Where people in the travel industry distinguish themselves is through the service they are willing to offer their customers. Are they willing to help the customer find some independent tours doing the kind of things they want to do? Are they willing to arrange a private guide and driver for a family with a special needs individual in the group who maybe can't negotiate buses? Are they willing to pre-arrange a special anniversary dinner, complete with cake and balloons at the Pinnacle for a client who requests this?

It is with things like this that one TA distinguishes herself from the TA down the block ... not through price. So, frankly, I can't imagine using a cruise line's PCC ... only because his loyalties are not with me. They are with the person signing his paycheck each week, and sadly that's not me. So, I will always take the back seat as far as he's concerned.

Just my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What's the difference between a PCC and a HAL booking agent, assuming they are both employed by HAL?

It's the same as the people who answer the phone when you call to place a classified ad in the newspaper. You call a phone center and get whoever happens to answer the phone.

But, if you are a regular customer who needs to place ads on a regular basis ... even if they are just small three-line classified ads ... then you are assigned a regular salesperson. He will call you every week and get your new ads for the next week, and offer a higher level of personal service. That's because he is more familiar with your account and your special needs.

Interesting, my company just outsourced the "Advisors" function ... so some company in India. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

ne TA distinguishes herself from the TA down the block ... not through price. So, frankly, I can't imagine using a cruise line's PCC ... only because his loyalties are not with me. They are with the person signing his paycheck each week, and sadly that's not me. So, I will always take the back seat as far as he's concerned.

Just my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well, I did have one get us a 2 top on a sold out cruise and we were not in a Suite. The PCC could email the ship....So, I wouldn't assume someone in Seattle could not do anything for his/her customer.

And why the back seat? If he/she is doing their job and you have great service before and on the cruise you will book more cruises...so I don't agree on that either.

I also don't agree about an outside TA not giving a better price. We saved $1,600 on one cruise and $1,400 on another that were booked through an outside agent. I believe it was group space.

As I understand it, hammy, an agent is someone in the phone room. They take calls at random from any and all. A PCC, on the other hand, works with specific individuals on a continuing basis, once they are assigned. With the agents, you'll get whomever answers your line every time you call. With the PCC and their dedicated number, you get your own personal consultant.

Thank you, sir.

It sounds like regardless if it's an agent or a PCC, the OP should have received a prompt email confirm.

I also don't agree about an outside TA not giving a better price. We saved $1,600 on one cruise and $1,400 on another that were booked through an outside agent. I believe it was group space.

I did say in the case of an agent who has some group space, yes, the price could be lower depending on how big the group was ... though I have a feeling that the reductions you are talking about ... there must have been a price drop involved there somewhere too. That or maybe she got you to take a slightly lower category cabin to save some major bucks. But there's no way one agent can get the space that much cheaper than another. There is a large agency in Seattle that frequently gets good prices on expensive cruises for their clients ... not to mention some nice bennies like a few free shore excursions, etc. But that's because they generally bring several hundred people on those sailings and that's a lot of cabins.

As for the PCC wanting to give good service to retain the clients ... I never said he wouldn't give good service. What I did say, however, is that he is certainly not as motivated to provide outstanding service as a regular travel agent would be. Let's face it. He gets paid whether he sells $20,000 in business that week or $15,000. The TA, however, doesn't get paid if she doesn't sell. So she is far more motivated to really give great service to her clients in order to keep them. Let's face it ... even if the cruise she booked for you isn't that big a deal ... maybe a $2,000 budget cruise for you and your family. Who knows? A year or two down the road you might tell someone great things about the service she provided to you ... the little activity packs she sent to the kids to enjoy on the car ride to the pier ... thoughtful even though inexpensive. Maybe that person she tells might be in the market for a world cruise. Then guess which agent is gonna get that very, very lucrative booking?

The PCC honestly doesn't have as much at stake is all I am saying and that's why I would much prefer an independent agent who I know is dependent on my business to survive.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

I tried booking with a PCC because there have been posters on this board who have had PCCs who did offer some very personalized services, contacted them when prices dropped, were willing to field any and all requests and get the answers to questions. I thought I would be getting some reliable personally tailored service. So much easier than trying to figure out which department to contact each time I had a question. It seems like Jade 13 has found such a PCC. I was not that lucky.

Rita,

I tried booking with a PCC because there have been posters on this board who have had PCCs who did offer some very personalized services, contacted them when prices dropped, were willing to field any and all requests and get the answers to questions. I thought I would be getting some reliable personally tailored service. So much easier than trying to figure out which department to contact each time I had a question. It seems like Jade 13 has found such a PCC. I was not that lucky.

Then I would suggest you not give up so easily. If you're not happy with your PCC, and still want to use a HAL PCC for some reason, then see if some people can make recommendations to you via email.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We booked our Alaska cruise last week with a PCC Bonnie Palmer @ ext 4231, who had contacted me by letter after my last cruise in August of last year. That cruise I booked with the 800 # and was completely satisfied along with immediate e-mail confirmations while I was still on the phone.

Last week when I used Bonnie the PCC, she e-mailed the confirmations to me while I was still on the phone with her also. Both times the confirmations were immediate!

If I were you I'd try another PCC. You have a couple of names here who followed up immediately.

Sorry you had a bad time with this one.

Good luck:)

I have learned that when you call HAL you may be speaking to an agent any where in the country. I recently called to ask about a cruise and just asked for information. I then realized that I had a confirmation for that cruise on my email! I would like to think I am speaking to some one at Holland America.

the2ofus: I've also had a problem with a PCC - here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930253

I used Jade13's suggestion and received good information from her PCC. Then about a week ago, out of the blue a phone call came from another PCC who said because of the original PCC's workload, she was taking care of our file. She has called us several times, emailed us with different - and valuable - information, and has generally been exactly what we had come to know as HAL's customer service with our first PCC. If you want to call Kristina Harvey 1-800-355-3017, ext 4435, I'm sure you'll be happy with her. Don't give up, there are great PCC's out there.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I have learned that when you call HAL you may be speaking to an agent any where in the country. I recently called to ask about a cruise and just asked for information. I then realized that I had a confirmation for that cruise on my email! I would like to think I am speaking to some one at Holland America.

It very common for call centers to be located in areas with less costly labor pools, than their headquarters.

the2ofus: I've also had a problem with a PCC - here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930253

I used Jade13's suggestion and received good information from her PCC. Then about a week ago, out of the blue a phone call came from another PCC who said because of the original PCC's workload, she was taking care of our file. She has called us several times, emailed us with different - and valuable - information, and has generally been exactly what we had come to know as HAL's customer service with our first PCC. If you want to call Kristina Harvey 1-800-355-3017, ext 4435, I'm sure you'll be happy with her. Don't give up, there are great PCC's out there.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I will second the vote for Kristina - I have been using her for several years and have always been very happy with her. Very efficient and quick.

Rich

Archived