Fish in shallow waters??

darylsldy

We will be in Georgetown in April and some of the people in our group either can't swim or are not strong swimmers. We are planning to go to a beach while there, is there a chance that we will get to see some of the fish in water say waist deep or a little deeper? I love the idea of snorkeling but that just can't happen. Also, any beach that is better for this than another?? Any of the beaches have hammocks? Thanks for the help!:cool:

Depending on what time of day you're there, there are usually a ton of huge fish (tarpons?) near the port area around dinnertime. A lot of places (like the Lobster Pot restaurant) feed them, and it's really cool to see.

Generally, though, you won't see too many fish in the shallower, more-populated sections of water (like Royal Palms or Sea Grape) along Seven Mile Beach, or at least that's been my personal experience. I think they prefer to hang out where there's no people to bug them... :D The only section of Seven Mile Beach with half-decent snorkeling (or so I'm told) is Cemetery Beach, but there are no facilities there of any kind. There are some great snorkeling spots near the port area, like Eden Rock and Sunset House, but the water is quite deep.

A good option might be a glass-bottomed boat or semi-sub excursion...that way, you could see lots of fish without getting wet.

As for hammocks, the only beach I know of with them is Rum Point, which is about an hour's drive (each way) from the port area.

Beach with shallow water... that's Rum Point. It is no more than chest deep for about 100 yards offshore.

Beach with fish in shallow water... Rum Point is best. Fish like to have somewhere to hide and around the dock provides at least minimal cover for the little fish. Mind you, there are not lots of fish in the shallows, but there are some.

Beach with hammocks... Rum Point is the only choice. No other beach in Cayman offers public use of hammocks.

As bookbabe already wrote, it is a bit of a drive from the port. Taxis are very expensive to get there and back. It is much more economical to rent a car and drive.

Finally, your other obvious option for LOTS of fish in quite shallow water is a visit to the world famous Stingray Sandbar. It is about waist deep and there are many stingrays who will be your best friend for as long as you have a nibble of squid in your hand.

That Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour offered through NativeWay might be just the ticket for your group. Stingray City is shallow - I'm almost 5'4" and the deepest was to my chest. Interacting with those big, beautiful rays is an amazing experience. Then you'll make a snorkel stop - but no one HAS to get off the boat and snorkel. You aren't there so long that the non-snorkelers will get antsy and bored. We had non-snorkelers with our group - they enjoyed the sun (or the shade if they wanted), and some took pictures for those who WERE in the water. Then of course you'll end up at Rum Point - a more beautiful beach you'll NEVER find! You'll get lunch there, too. It's a great, fun day!

Archived