Carb Blockers...for or against!

Sandycruise

I'd love to instigate a debate about carb blockers, those pills that claim to keep you from absorbing carbs.

Any experience? Anyone do some research? I'm trying to learn here, and I'd love opinions and experiences from both sides of the debate.

I have no opinion except that I'd like to think they work. Wouldn't it be nice?

Sandy

This is the sort of thing I've found:

Do these products work? There are no clinical studies performed by the mainstream medical and research communities to suggest that they work in the long-term. Studies done by those selling the product are dubious and only focus on short-term intervals.

Whether these products are safe or not is an open question. There are no reliable long term studies concerning carb blockers and the supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA.

This much can be assumed with diet pills: they are expensive and don't address the basics of sensible weight loss: change of mindset about life, balanced pill-free nutrition and exercise.

Quick fixes never work. :(

You need to make lifestyle changes that you can stick with over time - switching to 1% or skim milk instead of 2%, for example.

The weight comes off more slowly, but since it's a long-term change, you can maintain the loss and are healthier for it.

Actually, the best research seems to indicate that a high level of success is achieved from losing weight using one approach, while maintaining weight-loss using another approach. Lifestyle change is best facilitated by removing one's self from familiar environments, scenarios, etc.

Archived