Distance from hotel to pier..

wallly

Not far but a long walk, hauling luggage. Frankly however, if you plan on FQ activities, I would not stay in this area, inconvenient and a very LONG walk- some desolate areas, or cab needed for late Quarter activites. Location is everything for me in New Orleans and I am very choosey on where I stay as a many time visitor- including 11-30 for a week. :)

Pretty darn close - I guess the followup question is why are you asking?

Even if you are across the street, I think a cab ride is $7pp ($10 if only one) to any cruiseship.

Are you just looking for a place to crash before/after the cruise? Are you going to be in town for a day or two before/after?

Anyway - the hotel is very close as the crow flies - humans have to walk a little farther.

Pretty darn close - I guess the followup question is why are you asking?

Even if you are across the street, I think a cab ride is $7pp ($10 if only one) to any cruiseship.

Are you just looking for a place to crash before/after the cruise? Are you going to be in town for a day or two before/after?

Anyway - the hotel is very close as the crow flies - humans have to walk a little farther.

I'm staying there too, just for one night pre-cruise. We'll be exploring New Orleans, post cruise, at a different hotel, so I'm not worried about not being close to the Quarter. Can you walk to the pier from the Hampton? I've asked this before and some people say it's way too far and some say not......but I'm looking for specifics........like, how many blocks, etc. Taxis are such a rip-off in New Orleans since they don't go by the meter; I really don't want to spend $28 to get to the ship if it's close, especially after spending $48 to get from the airport to the hotel. I guess we can send one person with the luggage, and have the rest walk. Any suggestions/details will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Last cruise I walked with luggage from Hertz/Fulton street Garage at 901 Convention Center Blvd and it didn't kill me. On a hot day, I would prefer not to.

You could walk from your hotel to the Fulton Street garage, and take the free shuttle to whichever ship you are on. So that is about 3 blocks.

I will have to find a higher resoultion map for block count if you want to walk to the ship. My concern would be if you have some children, or are with adults that act like children, some of the walking is among the cars/busses/etc with the cruiseship traffic. My guess is it is about a 1/2 mile walk. It depends on which terminal your cruiseship will be docked at as to the direction you walk.

What I would do, however, is contact the hotel directly to see if they will shuttle you over to the ship. They are supposed to have a complimentary shuttle to Harrah's and to the French Quarter. I don't see why not to the cruiseships. A gratuity for the driver would not be a bad thing, and a bribe could work even if the hotel says no.

http://www.neworleanshamptoninns.com/conventioncenter.html

Also, taxis aren't always a rip-off. They are metered, but there are flat charges for some places. Those are usually rip-offs as is anything around a special event (e.g. Mardi Gras), when they raise the minimum charge.

Thanx. I'm just used to metered taxis and when it's a flat rate, it adds up, especially with 4 people...........and when the hotel is so close to the pier. Anyway, post cruise, what can I expect for taxis around New Orleans? We plan on doing a lot of walking and taking some of the streetcars, but what if we take a taxi? We'll be there next June, Sunday through Wednesday, so no big event that I know of. Also, I'm going to contact Hampton Inn to ask about their shuttle. We had the same problem in Tampa.......lots of free shuttles to other places, but not the cruise ship terminal. We paid a flat fee (there we go again!) to the ship, but at least it was about a 15 minute ride, not just a few blocks.......

Understandable. Especially when your hotel is about a block from the ship, but the convention center is in between, so you have to walk around it.

If not shuttle, next suggestion would be the shuttle (free) from the Fulton Street garage. I've never seen them ask for proof that you actually parked a vehicle there. Should they decide, run up to one of the ticket machines, punch the button, get a ticket for parking, show the shuttle driver, then throw it away.

In June, I probably would not want to walk 1/2 mile with as much stuff as I take.

Understandable. Especially when your hotel is about a block from the ship, but the convention center is in between, so you have to walk around it.

If not shuttle, next suggestion would be the shuttle (free) from the Fulton Street garage. I've never seen them ask for proof that you actually parked a vehicle there. Should they decide, run up to one of the ticket machines, punch the button, get a ticket for parking, show the shuttle driver, then throw it away.

In June, I probably would not want to walk 1/2 mile with as much stuff as I take.

I don't know about some folks, but the cab fare is not my main concern here. I have heard the horror stories about sitting in traffic for a couple of hours to go a fairly short distance, and I really would not want that. Is it safe to assume that this shuttle has a clear path to the terminals?

Thanks for the info

I don't know about some folks, but the cab fare is not my main concern here. I have heard the horror stories about sitting in traffic for a couple of hours to go a fairly short distance, and I really would not want that. Is it safe to assume that this shuttle has a clear path to the terminals?

Thanks for the info

Not sure about those stories, but after I waited for 10 minutes or so for a van (there were several running) to show up that was quickly filled, I decided to walk before waiting for the next one. That was on a Sunday when about 6000 cruisers were trying to get off of two ships and another 6000 were trying to board. The real factor was the 35000 +/- that were attending the American Heart Association convention that also began that day. Traffic was a mess all over. Certainly not a normal Sunday morning.

If you don't want to walk, the shuttle is an option. I would be surprised if I didn't beat the shuttle to the ship, on that day, however. On the shuttle busses, they do divide the passengers by ship, so that speeds things up some.

Archived