Swim with the dolphins

Everyone has been so helpful on these boards. I am hoping you can give me some insight as well. In late September we are going on The Mariener of the Sea to Mexico for 7 days. So excited. One of the things I have always wanted to do is swim with the dolphins. Can those who have tell me more about the experience. What excursion is the best. What about costs? I have heard booking through the ship is not always the best way or the least expensive way to go. Also any other tips or info about the ship or the ports would be very welcome. Anyone else going on 9/27/09?:rolleyes:

The swim with the dolpphins does not take individual bookings when the ship is in port because they make so much more from bookings from the ship. If you want to do this unfortunatly you will have to book through the ship. If you goggle swim with dolphins in your port tours you will find all the tours available but they will not book it , I know i tried.

We did the dolphin swim at Cabo San Lucas and it was great. I don't recall the exact price but I think it was approximately $100 per person. It took place in a huge pool with about 4 groups of 5 or 6 people per group. Each group had its own dolphin and trainer. First the trainer "introduced" the dolphin and gave us some information about the animals and their training. Then we got into the water (we were required to wear life vests) and were able to touch, feed, "kiss" and get towed around the pool on a boogie board.

In my opinion it was worth every cent because I doubt I'd ever have another opportunity to meet these amazing animals. One thing, I took a camera but when I got there found out we couldn't take pictures, but they take still and video pictures you can purchase from them (as I recall it's run by an educational organization). Unfortunately, I didn't take any money on this excursion so I have nothing but the memories!

From what I've heard I think most dolphin encounter excursions are pretty much the same, at least on the Mexican Riviera cruises.

You can book directly through Chaankanab (or other vendors) at their website (search Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel). It is significantly cheaper than booking a shore excursion (even once you factor in cab fare), and I've heard you sometimes get a smaller group size. I'm not sure if you can book in port day-of, but I know for a fact you can book online in advance. They also say they will refund most (95%, I think) of your money if the ship doesnt make port.

A friend and I are doing the push-pull-swim in 2 weeks, and we paid around $105, RCL doesn't even offer this tour, but I believe their basic "encounter" (no swimming, just "handshakes", kisses, etc.) was about the same price... The Royal Swim is about $150 when booked directly. Also, if you have a larger group there are sometimes discounts available.

My DH did the dolphin swim in Costa Maya and booked it right when we got to Costa Maya as a last minute thing...not through the ship, but it was the same tour operator as does it through the ship (this was Carnival). The price did not seem all that much cheaper though...it was about $115 for the SWIM, not the encounter. The swim allows you to actually get in with the dolphins and swim with them. Then if you bring an extra $25 with you, you can buy a picture of the dolphin kissing you...my DH absolutely loved it and said it was well worth the money. And the pic of him and the dolphin is a great keepsake.

The swim with the dolpphins does not take individual bookings when the ship is in port because they make so much more from bookings from the ship. If you want to do this unfortunatly you will have to book through the ship. If you goggle swim with dolphins in your port tours you will find all the tours available but they will not book it , I know i tried.

? When did this happen..

I booked direct with http://www.dolphindiscovery.com and had no problem.

I think the situation you describe may be limited to Carnival ships.

We did the Royal Swim and it was fabulous.

We booked directly with Dolphin Discovery for our upcoming cruise. Booking directly offered a better swim experience and the price was cheaper than the cruise lines.

Not sure what ports the OP is stopping at but we are doing the Dolphin swim in Cozumel.

Friends did the swim with dolphins in Chankanaab and absolutely loved it. I don't know what the price was because when they did it, it was in 2000. I did scuba with dolphins, also in Chankanaab, literally right next to the "swim." At the time, the swim was cheaper and the scuba was $179. I'm sure they're both more expensive now. And I think they ended up thinking the "swim" was better than the "dive." The dive was good, and yes I got to kiss a dolphin on the mouth while 25 feet under water, but the swim actually sounded better.

If the OP is going on Mariner...ports are Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta. I know in Cabo, that there is a brand new dolphin swim facility right at the port. (and as mentioned by linkerbink). That would probably be your best choice.

I have not heard of dolphin swims at the other 2 ports. The zip line in Puerto Vallarta is becoming very popular, though. :)

If you are going to Cozemel you can go to Chaankanab Park. We did it last year and it was a whole lot cheaper then going through the cruise line.The kids had a blast. I think we saved about $59 per person booking on our own.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Only the one in Puerto Vallarta for the Mexican Riviera called Dolphin Discovery allows you to do the Royal Swim which is everything including the nose push. The others do not allow the nose push. Yes it is cheaper to book online than through the ship but also allow for taxi costs for Puerto Vallarta. Cabo is right at the port at a large tank. The Dolphin Discovery apparently charges for others to enter the park to watch you which they show on their website I think about $18 each for others which includes water slides. My daughter did the Royal Swim at Cozumel and plans to do another on our trip in June - just don't know yet if we will do Cabo or PV.

Archived