Be Very Careful With What You Throw Away

CarRex

We have recently been in a dispute with NCL about our Latitudes status. According to our records we are now Gold status, and were officially welcomed to Latitudes Gold by our concierge on our last cruise. However NCL thought we were only Silver because they did not have a record of our 1983 sailing on the Norway.

After trying to work through our "Personal Latitudes Consultant" for over two months, I finally contacted NCL directly. They had no record of our 1983 cruise. Because it was our honeymoon, I knew the exact date of the sailing, but they still would not accept my word for it. Although the customer service rep was very professional and friendly toward me, but she also said that I would have to have some proof or documentation that we were on that cruise before they would acknowledge it. She said I could fax any proof of a cruise 26 years ago (room key, photo, ship dailies, reservation docs, etc), and they would count that cruise toward our Latitudes status. After going though boxes of old photos, I found a picture of us with the captain. The picture even had the Norway logo printed on the botton.

I faxed the photo to NCL and within a day, they acknowedged the booking and upgraded us to Gold status.

The point I'm trying make here is don't throw anything from an NCL cruise that you might need in the future. You never know what they will ask for.

*Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

In all actuality the latitudes program didn't start until 1995. I know some people have been able to go back a few years before that to get credit for their cruises, but going back to 1983 is a big stretch. I don't see that much difference between the silver and gold anyway IMHO.

I do however; keep all our paper work from previous cruises in a plastic storage container---mostly for my own reference.

Good tip, OP, thanks. And the plastic storage chest idea is great too; perfect way to round it all up and put it in one place. It's scattered about, around here somewhere. We've been on 5 cruises and I like to keep the excursion tickets for souvenirs.:)

My husband and I had the same difficulty with our status. We joined the Latitudes program in 1989 and recently completed our 5th cruise, but had not received credit for the first cruise. Luckily, I saved a picture from our embarkation and faxed it to the Latitudes office. Unfortunately, it took us over a month and 7 phone calls later to get it fixed. I did receive a phone call from a VP and her response to all of the trouble was that we were lucky to have the 1989 cruise count toward our silver status. I was under the impression that prior to 1995 it was the Latitudes program, but I guess I was wrong. I'm happy to have our Silver status, even though, I don't think it really gets us alot. We are leaving on the 3rd of April for 9 wonderful days on the Jewel and at this point, Silver status or not, I am so ready to kick back and enjoy! I agree with the original poster - never throw anything away! We did have a BIG laugh at the picture, as did our kids. We looked soooooo 1980s ( and sooooo young!).:D

My husband and I had the same difficulty with our status. We joined the Latitudes program in 1989 and recently completed our 5th cruise, but had not received credit for the first cruise. Luckily, I saved a picture from our embarkation and faxed it to the Latitudes office. Unfortunately, it took us over a month and 7 phone calls later to get it fixed. I did receive a phone call from a VP and her response to all of the trouble was that we were lucky to have the 1989 cruise count toward our silver status. I was under the impression that prior to 1995 it was the Latitudes program, but I guess I was wrong. I'm happy to have our Silver status, even though, I don't think it really gets us alot. We are leaving on the 3rd of April for 9 wonderful days on the Jewel and at this point, Silver status or not, I am so ready to kick back and enjoy! I agree with the original poster - never throw anything away! We did have a BIG laugh at the picture, as did our kids. We looked soooooo 1980s ( and sooooo young!).:D

Getaway4fun---Just a big WELCOME to the boards post!!!:D You'll find alot of good info and 99% of the people friendly.

NCL has been good about doing a retrospect on past cruises. We got our Norway cruise credited just by sending in a photo of us with the Norway logo on our pix. It does state however; that it didn't start til 1995. We got started with cruising by my mother giving us our cruise for our 25th ann. Happened to be on the Norway in 1995!!! Your right about looking young!HA

Have a wonderful cruise in April.

You all should be thanking NCL for counting cruises that are not normally included in the Latitudes levels. Before 1995 it was a different program called Embark. They make current rules very clear on everything published.

* To become a Latitudes member, you must have taken at least one full tariff cruise with NCL since 1995 when the Latitudes program began.

My Mom taught me to have really good manners so I did thank the VP for calling and giving me the Silver status. We look forward to going for the Gold! And thank you for jogging my memory that the program orginally was Embark. Totally forgot the name. We had so much fun on that first cruise that we would have signed anything that NCL put in front of us. ;)

My Mom taught me to have really good manners so I did thank the VP for calling and giving me the Silver status. We look forward to going for the Gold! And thank you for jogging my memory that the program orginally was Embark. Totally forgot the name. We had so much fun on that first cruise that we would have signed anything that NCL put in front of us. ;)

Good for your Mom! And, although I only took my first cruise in 2006 I still love it and hope to do so in the future and going for the Gold as well. I know I was excited when we attained Silver.

I had lunch with my 90 year old neighbor today and he still talks about cruising with his wife on the Norway! I wish I'd learned how fun it is earlier.:)

I am still confused as to what doesn't constitute a full tarrif cruise? Are they just saying that if you won a cruise that doesn't count - or are 'specials' from a TA exempt? I've done a 7 night in 2006, a 12 night in 2007, a two night in 2008 and will do a 14 night this year. What I'd like to know is if my intended 14 night next year will bump me up to silver? Whilst the OP went to a lot of hassle to get his recognition, and I am not sure i'd bother - I think it would 'niggle' me a little If i didn't get the recognition I deserved even if it was just a discount here and a gathering there.

Also can anyone hazard a guess as to the percentage of 'Latitudes' guests on the average sailing? How can the priority check in 'work' if half the passengers are past-ncl-cruisers?

We had gone with the rewards program a few years ago where you bought into Platinum status.

Because NCL claims that the first name on a booking is what counts toward your category recognition, one of us was Platinum and one of us wasn't.

I spoke with the a future cruise rep on-board the Pearl, explained the situation, and by the time I got home and checked my info on the NCL site, I too was Platinum.

Friends of ours who were in the same situation had a bit more difficulty getting the status change, but in time, NCL must have decided it was easier to upgrade this person than continue to argue the point.

i just read yesterday almost the exact same thread but about Royal Caribbean. someone had like 54 pts or whatever and on the website it only showed 30.

its a bummer in terms of customer service. you stick wiht one line and pay alot of money with different cruises and you expect something for your loyalty and the cruiseline is screwing it up.

i hope you get a satisfactory resolution. seems like its spread over several cruiselines though.

Good for you CarRex! This give me an idea:

I need everyone to email me your pictures with the captain so I can Photoshop myself into them! I'll be platinum before you know it! They may even create a new category for all the cruises I'll show them!;)

Sea Hound:D

We had gone with the rewards program a few years ago where you bought into Platinum status.

Because NCL claims that the first name on a booking is what counts toward your category recognition, one of us was Platinum and one of us wasn't.

I spoke with the a future cruise rep on-board the Pearl, explained the situation, and by the time I got home and checked my info on the NCL site, I too was Platinum.

Friends of ours who were in the same situation had a bit more difficulty getting the status change, but in time, NCL must have decided it was easier to upgrade this person than continue to argue the point.

We're in that situation with one of us in Gold and one in Silver even though we have always cruised together, but feel it doesn't matter since we plan on always cruising together so we both benefit from the top status. Is there any difference if we were both gold? Just wondering if I should care. :confused:

We're in that situation with one of us in Gold and one in Silver even though we have always cruised together, but feel it doesn't matter since we plan on always cruising together so we both benefit from the top status. Is there any difference if we were both gold? Just wondering if I should care. :confused:

If you are traveling together both being gold makes no difference.

You all should be thanking NCL for counting cruises that are not normally included in the Latitudes levels. Before 1995 it was a different program called Embark. They make current rules very clear on everything published.

* To become a Latitudes member, you must have taken at least one full tariff cruise with NCL since 1995 when the Latitudes program began.

That's almost scary---somehow I know just as I finally become platinum, they'll change the whole thing and make me start over ROTFL (kidding folks , just kidding)

On word of warning...when you make a reservation, have the person who is gold listed first. My wife 'was' gold before I was, but we made a reservation with me listed first. They didn't catch that she was gold and they missed us for the extra perks. Couldn't get it easily straightened out on the ship and I didn't want to fret over it on vacation so we didn't push it far.

I'm certain that we could have fought them onboard (and won) but I just didn't want to be put in a bad mood and really, the only thing we missed out on that was important at all to us was the wine in the welcome basket (that it seems they've dropped now)

You probably won't have a problem even if the lower latitudes level person is first on the reservation, but sometimes (from my experience) it can happen

On word of warning...when you make a reservation, have the person who is gold listed first. My wife 'was' gold before I was, but we made a reservation with me listed first. They didn't catch that she was gold and they missed us for the extra perks. Couldn't get it easily straightened out on the ship and I didn't want to fret over it on vacation so we didn't push it far.

I'm certain that we could have fought them onboard (and won) but I just didn't want to be put in a bad mood and really, the only thing we missed out on that was important at all to us was the wine in the welcome basket (that it seems they've dropped now)

Thanks for the tip. As it happens, we always do because for reasons I prefer not to go into here lol, she has much more available credit than I do so we always book with her credit card. :p Not a coincidence, she was the one who purchased the Gold status. I always tell her, at least I came by my status the old-fashioned way. ;)

Thanks for the tip. As it happens, we always do because for reasons I prefer not to go into here lol, she has much more available credit than I do so we always book with her credit card. :p Not a coincidence, she was the one who purchased the Gold status. I always tell her, at least I came by my status the old-fashioned way. ;)

Wow -- didn't know it was possible purchase gold status.

Wow -- didn't know it was possible purchase gold status.

It was a short-lived promotion similar to the current Cruise Rewards promotion. You purchased a credit for your next cruise (the more you put down, the higher the status you purchased) and received that status for that cruise. We assumed it would go back to our "natural" status after that one cruise, but it hasn't. One problem is I think there were waaaaaaaaaaay too many gold status people on that cruise so the concierge was overworked and useless.

It was a short-lived promotion similar to the current Cruise Rewards promotion. You purchased a credit for your next cruise (the more you put down, the higher the status you purchased) and received that status for that cruise. .

That's how my wife ended up gold also (now we're both gold). Although it was suppose to be that level for the remainder of the current cruise and also for the next cruise, for some reason they decided to let the people keep the level they bought into. I'm not sure why. (of course there were other perks OBC-prepaid deposit on next cruise & such)

We still kick ourselves for not buying in at the Platinum level :D

so #6 will be silver. PCC tells me that you have to cruise 5 nights or longer to get another step up the Latitude ladder. Too many with overnights, 2,3,4 nights & they are Platinum in a year. We cruise 1 or 2 weeks with the high air so we are still bronze after 5.

I am still confused as tstatusight or longer to get another step up the Latitude ladder.o what doesn't constitute a full tarrif cruise? Are they just saying that if you won a cruise that doesn't count - or are 'specials' from a TA exempt? I've done a 7 night in 2006, a 12 night in 2007, a two night in 2008 and will do a 14 night this year. What I'd like to know is if my intended 14 night next year will bump me up to silver? Whilst the OP went to a lot of hassle to get his recognition, and I am not sure i'd bother - I think it would 'niggle' me a little If i didn't get the recognition I deserved even if it was just a discount here and a gathering there.

Also can anyone hazard a guess as to the percentage of 'Latitudes' guests on the average sailing? How can the priority check in 'work' if half the passengers are past-ncl-cruisers?

"How can the priority check in work if half the passengers are Latitudes members?" Not very well in my experience! Our last cruise the guy with the Latitudes check in sign was holding it backwards (nothing visible) until we were well into the regular check in line.:D

"How can the priority check in work if half the passengers are Latitudes members?" Not very well in my experience! Our last cruise the guy with the Latitudes check in sign was holding it backwards (nothing visible) until we were well into the regular check in line.:D

I'm guessing it varies from port to port and time to time. But we always zip right through the Latitudes line. It always surprises me how many of the passengers are first timers.

Archived