Pre-night in Monte Carlo or Nice?

Peek-a-boo

We are booked on the Aug 7 sailing from Monte Carlo to Athens on the Navigator. The pre-night booked through Regent was $700. pp and for four that is a hefty sum. I have decided to do a little research regarding finding our own accomodations in either Monte Carlo or Nice..we are two adults and two teens which is making it rather difficult to find a room that will fit four people and not cost a gazillion dollars. We will probably have to go with two rooms. I would appreciate any info on what I can expect to pay for airport transfers from the airport to a hotel - is it much more expensive to transfer to Monte Carlo vs. Nice? Also regarding hotel to port transfers.

Hotel/restaurant recommendations? Thanks!

When we did it we stayed in Nice. Nice was very walkable and beautiful, with the old Nice, the flower market, lots of restaurants, cafes and shops. I'm glad we did--friends of ours stayed on Monte Carlo and weren't too happy. Kind of sterile and very expensive. This was one of our initial considerations--the hotels in MC are pricey.

We arranged transport through the hotel, in both cases. They weren't cheap, but very reliable and comfortable. Easy to book a van I believe, we had a van to MC from Nice. Transfer to the port in Monte Carlo was 85 euros, and we had originally been quoted 115 for 4 people; from the airport to the hotel it was about 30 euros. In retrospect, we could have cabbed it to the hotel, probably for less money. Or taken an airport shuttle.

We stayed at Hotel Le Grimaldi, which was not in old Nice, but only about a 20 minute walk away. It was very nice. We paid for their breakfast, but if we did it again, we would walk down the street and have our cafe and croissants for alot less money. Be aware, the name Grimaldi is very common and there are several hotels with this word in their name.

I would love to go back to Nice again and spend a day or two.

I agree with Wendy. Nice is the better bet. The airport is very close to the town and there are plenty of decent hotels. A taxi should take about 5 minutes and cost around 30 euros; they are metered. As an example of a reasonable hotel, the Radisson on the Promenade des Anglais would charge around 150 euros per night for a room up to about 450 euros pn for a top suite ( the latter sleeping 2 adults and 2 children with 2 bathrooms). On reflection the Radisson probably has a free airport transfer. Getting a taxi next day to Monaco for embarkation should prove no problem.

You should like Nice, Wendy is spot on. Monte Carlo is attractive with a couple of good tourist attractions, but Nice is an old fashioned seaside resort.

We paid 185 euros, and were upgraded to a Junior Suite with a little terrace. With a suite, you might be able to make do with one room, especially for just one night. The suite had two full bathrooms, and a sofa, so not sure it would house 4, but there was certainly room.

I have nothing against Le Grimaldi. It looks really nice, full of character and would make a good choice. I only mentioned the Radisson to give Peek-a-boo an idea of costs in a hotel where she probably knows the standard to expect.

A hotel with a world wide reputation is the Negresco, in the centre of the bay, probably 500 euros or so per night!

If you take a cab from the Nice airport to Monaco you will drive right through the seaside area of Nice and the Promenade des Anglais, so if you're looking to save money on a hotel you should plan to stay in Nice and go on to Monte Carlo on departure day.

BTW, Grimaldi is the family name of the ancestral royalty of Monaco, Prince Ranier and Prince Albert.

Let me join the amen corner. We've tried both Nice and Monte Carlo. Nice is a far better choice. Much more to see and do. Better choice of restaurants. Lower hotel prices (though not cheap). And the drive between the two is quite beautiful. Pat

From all the posts that have been on her in the last few months, she's obviously had her ups and downs. But she's a lovely little ship. She will be better after that drydock she's having in spring 2010, but I wouldn't worry too much. The only downside for me is the lack of viable alternative dining, although Portofino's has changed since I've been on, and your teens will probably love it. The suites are really nice.

We are booked on the Aug 7 sailing from Monte Carlo to Athens on the Navigator. The pre-night booked through Regent was $700. pp and for four that is a hefty sum. I have decided to do a little research regarding finding our own accomodations in either Monte Carlo or Nice..we are two adults and two teens which is making it rather difficult to find a room that will fit four people and not cost a gazillion dollars. We will probably have to go with two rooms. I would appreciate any info on what I can expect to pay for airport transfers from the airport to a hotel - is it much more expensive to transfer to Monte Carlo vs. Nice? Also regarding hotel to port transfers.

Hotel/restaurant recommendations? Thanks!

Peek a boo

When we were on the Voyager in October 2007 we stayed at the Palaise de la Mediterranee, it was right on the water. We met a couple in the lost luggage line at the airport when we got to Nice, they were staying at the same hotel and the same cruise. After we got to the hotel we walked down to an area which was really close and lots of restaurants and shops. We shared a pizza and a bottle of wine. Great fun. We also had dinner together at the hotel right out in the open on top. It was fabulous. Don't miss the open market which is not far to walk, a must see. Our breakfast was included with our room I believe it was around $400.00 a night for the two of us. You might try trip advisor. It was spectaculor, we had a balcony and a great time. There is also a great little bar in the hotel that is wonderful. The staff are all so nice and helpful. I speak a little french, probably enough to get me to the bathroom and ask how much something is they were great.

If you are in Suite 601 you are at the Bow. I have not looked at the ports, but, if you are anchoring at all, you will hear the chain drop and the crew scurry around at docking. It did not bother me - I went right back to sleep. The cabin however is a lovely arrangement. We love that front part of the Navigator.

I have travelled with Wendy and Island Cruiser and I agree about Nice. On our 2006 cruise we were the ones that stayed in Monte Carlo at the Hotel Hermitage. Continental Breakfast was over $100 with tip. The hotel was incredible but the rates sky high. For one night it was nice. The next time we went we did stay at Le Perouse and it was delightful, walking distance and there was a view. It was not as luxurious but the walk to the Marche and the fresh items in the hotel were fine - and about $400 a night LESS than the Hotel Hermitage. We'd stay again at La Perouse in a heartbeat.

It is expensive to take a van service to the dock from Nice and a cab was also high priced.

I also stayed at La Peruse, and the location was great. It is very close to the Old Nice area market where the dining cannot be beat, and the market is interesting. The beach is very close, too, and if you walk down the strand along there, you can easily pick up the sightseeing tram that is very cheap and gives you a little tour of the area.

I hired a ride through a limo service through Travel Bound. It was not cheap, but they did everything for me, even had breakfast with me at the hotel after they helped me get my luggage from the room, and at the airport, they did all the navigating thru the lines in French and got me well situated. Their ride from the pier was very nice, too.

I like the location of L'Hermitage, and it is beautiful, but I would not trade that experience in Nice. It was one of the highlights of my trip, and I had plenty.

While I like Voyager better, I loved my Navigator cruise. Yes, the vibration was pretty intense a few times in the back of the ship, even in the Caribbean. I am a little more cautious after reading a few of the ups and downs in recent months on this ship. As Wendy indicated, though, it seems Portofino has become a more flexible/varied option than before. Also, they did some work on the ship. It should be great, and I can't imagine that you all will do anything but love it.

I recommend you continue your research if you haven't done these ports. I am sure you will. The research is part of the whole experience, and this is a port-intensive itinerary. It looks very interesting.

If you are looking for one night I highly recommend the Vista Palace above Monte Carlo. I stayed there many years ago and it has the most amazing views and a wonderful restaurant. It is probably best for a relaxing day as it is a bit out of the way - but if you are interested in pampering and relaxation before your cruise - this place is really wonderful - but not inexpensive.

http://www.vistapalace.com/en/

If you can't find something reasonable in Nice or Monte Carlo (remember it is August and this is PRIME holiday season on the Côte d'Azur!) you might try Villefranche. Right between Nice and Monte Carlo, smaller and has a couple of 3 star hotels.

We stayed at the Negresco in Nice once and I would not recommend it...very very expensive and A/C that hardly worked. not great in August.

There are buses from the airport to Monte Carlo that go to a number of hotels for a lot less than the cab ride. There are several buses, so you do have to make sure to get on the right one. Information can direct you to them.

We stayed at the Marriott, and while the bus did not go right to the door and we had to drag our bags from the street, it wasn't that bad. The hotel had a shuttle that took us straight to the ship. Not on the beach, but there was a bus that stopped just outside. The hotel recommended a nice restaurant within walking distance. Not cheap, but good. Since we knew we would have lunch when we boarded the ship, we walked to the nearby grocery and got sweet rolls for breakfast.

We used points, but if I had booked sooner the rate would have been pretty good. By the time I was ready to book, the rate was pretty pricey so we were happy to have the free room. It was typical Marriott. if you want atmosphere maybe not what you are looking for.

We took a bus like JoAnne did, from the airport to our hotel in Monte Carlo. Stepped out of the airport and right onto a bus (which we had not pre-arranged). The fare was quite cheap and it took us straight to our hotel (Le Meridien, very lovely but pricey... though we awoke at sunrise and stood on the balcony to watch the Voager coming in). It was a beautiful sunset drive. Monte Carlo is very "happening" with trendy restaurants and quite a nightlife. With two teenagers -- depending on their ages -- you may prefer Nice and what it offers...?

Archived