Curious about Gdansk, Poland? I can answer your question...

Thanks a lot Sandy for you words of comfort.

We have never suffered such a tragedy within the time of peace.

Our top politicians, army generals, priests and other officials were flying to pay tribute to thousand of Polish officers that had been killed in Katyn/Smolensk. The air crash happened just there.

We keep preparing to the funeral ceremony in Cracow, now.

THEY will be burried by Polish kings and poets at historical Wawel hill.

We are pleased to hear that so many friends not only from Europe but US and other countries will be with us in Cracow, on this Sunday.

The reason they were travelling in the first place certainly makes the accident even more tragic. The Canadian Polish community here in Toronto is celebrating mass today and are in deep mourning. The news is saying how much the First Lady was loved and will be missed. I ache for the daughter who has lost both her parents so tragically. My thoughts are with you and your countrymen at this difficult time.

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for comment / input on the following do-it-yourself plans for Gdansk:

Saturday August 7th, port in Gdynia, Poland (heading for Gdansk)

Arrive 9:00AM Depart 6:00PM

Planning to do this "Walking Tour" of Gdansk:

http://www.thevisitor.pl/index.php?id=251

Here are the transportation plans:

Transportation for the journey is best by train - if not on a ships tour. The drive can take 1.5+ hours by car (or even more during rush hour) and just 35 minutes by train.

The port of Gdynia is rather deserted. There are no shops, kiosks, ATM/exchange or other facilities within the port area; just ships. Busses and taxis will be waiting at the gangway.

You can take a bus #137 (2.50 PLN), or taxi (€8 Euros) from the port to the Gdynia train station (Szczecin) at Dworcowa Street, which is about 2 km away. Buy tickets from the bus driver (you will need cash (local currency) to buy tickets - one bus ticket will be 2.50 PLN) and then buy your train tickets at the train station. The #119 bus also goes into downtown Gdynia, but not sure if it goes to the train station? A Taxi from the port will be €8 Euros to Gdynia train station (or back to the ship from the train station). The #137 bus will not pick up passengers from the train station back to the port, so will have to take a taxi back to the ship. Taxis will accept US dollars. Always agree to the fair before getting into the cab.

Bus #137 Departs the port on Saturdays at: 9:32, 10:02, 10:32, 11:04,… Again, BUS #137 does not return passengers to the port (doesn’t pick up passengers at the train station). The bus to the train station is just 2.5 PLN (need local currency) for the 15 minute journey to the train station.

The main Gdynia train station is well outfitted with an ATM (additional ATMs may be across the road from the train station), currency exchanges (Kantor), tourist information, a hairdresser, a few snack bars and 24-hour internet access. The Gdynia city centre lies right outside the station and the main street, Świetojańska, is a 10 minute walk away by turning right out of the station and following 10-Lutego.

You will also need Polish currency to purchase train tickets. The best deal is using the Kantor exchange offices located everywhere, also inside the train station. You will use the SKM train. Tickets to Gdansk will be 5 PLN per person. Tickets may be bought at the SKM counter. Remember to validate your ticket before you board the carriage (you can find special yellow automatic ticket machines at every train station) as ticket controls checking passengers’ tickets are frequent. Trains run every 7-10 minutes during weekdays, and every 10-20 minutes on weekends from platform 1. The train to Gdansk will take 35 minutes. Gdansk is the last stop (called GDANSK GLÓWNY ) along the SKM train line.

BEWARE of pickpockets at either the station and on the train, especially during the rush hour! Pick pockets happen mainly when you are entering and leaving the train. Three, four guys forming crowd and pushing you in or out.

Pick up a free map in Gdansk GLÓWNY train station. The main station in Gdansk is a ten minute walk west of the historic city centre. The Gdansk GLÓWNY train station has a currency exchange (open 24 hours) in the hall leading off the main lobby and there are a couple of ATMs. Public phones are at either end of this hall.

To get to the town go down the steps opposite McDonald’s and turn right. Pass the old ladies selling flowers and mittens and head straight for the EMPiK bookshop. Then turn right again, and head up the steps leading to ul. Podwale Grodzkie

Or, from station, take pedestrian underpass by McDonalds, exit to right & follow busy road to LOT air building then left to the brick towers. (From Upland gate up the main street, you’ll see everything from there). The Red building across from town hall is tourist office with maps. Heart of the Old Town is Powroznicza Street.

In Gdansk, try local food, Pierogis - filled dumplings or Polish sausage or above all - Polish beer. Lunches are only seated lunches here, more early dinners than lunches. The only place offering sandwiches/pastries within the Old Town area is PELLOWSKI CAFE, right opposite the main Town Hall, in the middle of everything. Go there in the morning, before hundreds of hungry tourists discover their lovely sandwiches and pastries (really limited amount), grab some for your bag for pennies and save it for a lunch unless you want to be seated in one of many of restaurants and cafeterias.

On return from Gdansk back to Gdynia (GDYNIA GLOWNA station), catch the SKM train on tracks 3-5. On the return trip, make sure you recognize the Gdynia station and get off there.

Bus #137 does not return passengers to the port, so you will have to take a taxi (Taxi will be €8 Euros ) back to port from GDYNIA GLOWNA train station on the return journey.

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in purchasing the Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus Tourist card. Some description I found online:

"Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus" Tourist Card - Cost is 31 PLN for a 24 hour card (that's about $9.50 US), and offers a free ticket for all public transport within the entire Tricity (buses, trams, trolley buses, SKM train) and free entries to museums. Tourist Card is available at tourist information offices in Gdansk and Gdynia.

For GDYNIA:

- Tourist Information Centre, 10 Lutego 24 Str

- Baltic Information Centre, Jana Pawla II Avenue

Where are these (how far) in relation to where the cruise ships dock in Gdynia?

Are either of these close to the Gdynia train station?

I'm interested in purchasing the Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus Tourist card. Some description I found online:

"Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus" Tourist Card - Cost is 31 PLN for a 24 hour card (that's about $9.50 US), and offers a free ticket for all public transport within the entire Tricity (buses, trams, trolley buses, SKM train) and free entries to museums. Tourist Card is available at tourist information offices in Gdansk and Gdynia.

For GDYNIA:

- Tourist Information Centre, 10 Lutego 24 Str

- Baltic Information Centre, Jana Pawla II Avenue

Where are these (how far) in relation to where the cruise ships dock in Gdynia?

Are either of these close to the Gdynia train station?

I don't really think that you will be using public transport except for the SKM train that may take you to Gdansk. Old Town of Gdansk is closed for public transport and cars due to its historical value. However free entries to museums are a big bonus. First tourist information office - 10 Lutego str 24, is located very close to the train station - red arrow. Your ship docks at the top right corner.

http://mapa.trojmiasto.pl/?x=-209.9&y=-247.9&z=4

It appears from your map that the Tourist Information Centre, at 10 Lutego 24 Street, is just about 300 meters from the Gdynia train station (at the corner of 10 Lutego and 3 Maja). I also read elswhere there is an ATM also located very nearby (also across the street from the station).

This is very convenient and makes purchasing the "Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus" Tourist Card convenient and a smart option.

I found on Google (Grupa Travel) based on your map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=train+station&fb=1&gl=us&ei=lmryS8z1FcG88gaI-diyDg&ved=0CCgQtgMwAA&radius=0.23&sll=54.520465,18.532541&sspn=0.003307,0.009602&split=1&rq=1&mpnum=1000&ev=p&vps=2&hq=train+station&hnear=

It appears from your map that the Tourist Information Centre, at 10 Lutego 24 Street, is just about 300 meters from the Gdynia train station (at the corner of 10 Lutego and 3 Maja). I also read elswhere there is an ATM also located very nearby (also across the street from the station).

This is very convenient and makes purchasing the "Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus" Tourist Card convenient and a smart option.

I found on Google (Grupa Travel) based on your map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=train+station&fb=1&gl=us&ei=lmryS8z1FcG88gaI-diyDg&ved=0CCgQtgMwAA&radius=0.23&sll=54.520465,18.532541&sspn=0.003307,0.009602&split=1&rq=1&mpnum=1000&ev=p&vps=2&hq=train+station&hnear=

Yes, this is very close to the train station. There will be about more than one ATMs nearby. This is the street where couple of banks are located.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Polish Pie:

My family are the Star Princess cruise that arrives in Gdansk on June 28. I somewhere read that much of Gdansk is closed on Mondays? Is that correct? Are most of the shops open? the museums?

Thanks for your help!

Gransaway[

quote=polish pie;18704525]I am living here and will be happy to answer any question about this maginificient, historical town - birth place of Solidarity and Mr Lech Walesa. I am retired now but used to travel a lot. I know that well prepared travel may stay in your memory for your life time:)

To: Polish Pie

Thanks so very much for your invaluable info., etc. Can you advise if I can pay for train ticket to Gdansk with a credit card---

From my notes - I hope this helps...

The round trip ticket cost on the train will be about $2.50 USD per person. From what I've read you will need local currency to purchase tickets, but that is not a problem (read on). You could get the currency on-ship if need be.

The main Gdynia train station is outfitted with an ATM (additional Bank ATMs are across the road from the train station) and a currency exchange (Kantor) is in the station. The Gdynia city centre lies right outside the station and the main street, Swietojanska, is a 10 minute walk away by turning right out of the station and following 10-Lutego in case you decide to go there.

The Tourist Information Centre, at 10 Lutego 24 Street, is just about a 5-minute walk or 300 meters from the Gdynia train station (at the corner of 10 Lutego and 3 Maja) were you could purchase the "Gdansk - Sopot - Gdynia - Plus" Tourist Card. The cost is 31 PLN for a 24-hour card (that's about $9.00 US currently), and includes passage for all public transport within the entire Tricity (buses, trams, trolley buses, SKM train) and entry to museums plus discounts on food and shopping. Tourist Card is also available at tourist information offices in Gdansk.

On entering the Gdynia main station get some Zlotys from the ATM at the far end of the ticket booths if you still need currency. The train to Gdansk costs 4.5 zlotys (about $1.30 USD) each way (3.1 Zlotys per segment if you get off at the seaside resort of Sopot or the famous Cathedral at Oliwa).

Gdansk train tickets are sold at the small SKM booth around the corner from the main ticket booths (the SKM line is small and sells its tickets separately from the major inter-city train lines) where you see the sign for Kasa Biletowa.

There are about 12 stops between Gdynia and Gdansk, and the trip takes about 30 minutes.

You will need Polish currency to purchase train tickets.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Have you heard of an agency called Tours by Locals? We are looking for a shore excursion to Gdansk that does not visit Stutthoff but could include a stop at the recently reopened synagogue in Gdansk. We also thought about taking the train in from the port because of the many reports citing significant traffic especially when returning to Gydania. But that makes a visit to the Oliwa Cathedral (also high on our "to visit" list) problematic because it doen't seem to be in the city center/old town area. Moreover something inside me is screaming that the train is more reliable than dealing with traffic. I don't want to have to worry about getting back to Gydania and missing the ship.

Also, do you know anything about the cab situation in Gdansk?

Finally, do you have any other suggestions about what to do in Gdansk on a Sunday in early July. Are the major sites in the Old Town open? What about the shops? Are there organized walking tours of the Old Town given in English. What is the easiest way to get zlotys?

I really appreciate your help. I have been reading you posts and find them so helpful.

In 2010 we used Margaret from Tours By Locals. She was referred to the person setting up the Stutthof as the original tour guide was unable to take us due to another commitment. She was excellent and I believe she does other types of tours not just Stutthof. I haven't checked the website for Tours By Locals lately but if she is still active she should be on it with contact info.

<<<Karen>>>

Hello from Gdansk !

you are right, traffic can be really heavy in July here but taking train will definately limit your sightseeing options. Major highligts are located not very close to the train stations. If I were you I would book some guide and cab assistance earlier and simply leave the Old Town at least one and half hour before the ship sails.

Cabs can be costly in the port...

All shops located within the tourist area in Gdansk stay open on Sunday.

To change money you can use ATM - plenty there, or the official exchange office named KANTOR. Very reasonable rate of exchange. Also, shops, restaurants accept credit cards.

Archived