Dressing kids for dinner

aflynn3

We are traveling on the Independence 4/4/09 with our two sons, 7yrs and 15 months. We want to bring the kids to dinner each night as they are great eaters and well behaved at dinner. We tend to enjoy each others company during dinner talking about the day.

Is the dress code followed a bit less with the kids? My thoughts are pants and short sleeve button down shirt or a polo shirt each night. Is this okay would you say? I don't want to have to buy ties and dressier clothes for the boys when I know they will not wear them any other time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, as long as they are wearing pants, they will be fine. Some DO go all out on Independence and dress the kids in tuxes for formal night....but those are more for the Family Pictures they get out of it then the actual "dress code" ;)

You'll see all kinds of dress on Indy. It ranges from golf shirts to button down shirts to full out tuxes. What you choose to dress your boys in is totally your decision. :)

I have 2 girls. So you better believe I buy formal gowns for my little princesses for formal night...LOL. :D But no, it's not required.

They will be fine in what you mention. RCI's dress guidelines do not include more casual levels for children and, in fact, they specifically thank parents who reasonably follow the requested attire. Here's a quote from the website under "What are the dress codes onboard?":

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

But don't worry, no one expects an infant to wear an actual tux! The reality is that neat, tidy attire including long pants and collared shirts for your 7-y/o will be accepted every night. We are in the group of "other pax" who spend not the least bit of time worrying about whether every adult and child is dressed to the letter of the guidelines at dinner each night. As long as someone looks presentable, it's not an issue, IMO.

However (I just can't help butting in a tiny bit), what about investing in one dress shirt (well, maybe two as children do tend to "wear" their food sometimes--just like adults do);) and one clip on (or even boy's size regular) tie for your 7-y/o? He's certainly not too young to start really learning about appropriate dress for various occasions, especially if you already do eat out at nice restaurants regularly. He would wear the dress shirt and tie just on formal nights, of course. The pants and polo are perfect for men of all ages on casual nights. He might enjoy feeling like a "big boy" along with all the other "men" on formal night. And I've got to admit that the young ones look so cute when they're dressed up a bit on those nights. You could even have a nice portrait taken as a memento.

It needn't be a huge expense either. The secondhand shops are brimming with high quality, nearly new children's clothing. (Often, it's been turned in by parents who've taken their children on a cruise or to a wedding or similar, but we all know kids sprout up like weeds and don't always get a ton of wear out of those things.) I know many parents here have been able to pick up items for a real bargain. You can often find an entire boy's suit (with vest!) for $20 or so. After the cruise, turn it back in for consignment and I almost guarantee it will be snapped up by another mom who's looking for exactly that item.

You will probably be able to find at least one really cute young toddler "ensemble" for your 15-m/o as well. They make some super darling tux/suit mimicking (sp?) toddler items. Bet you could get something for $10 or so (maybe less) at a second-hand or consignment shop. Believe me when I tell you that even the most crusty curmudgeon will smile (and appreciate) the effort you've made. The waitstaff will (no question) fuss over them and make the evening even more special.

It's entirely up to you, of course, but I think that it's almost never too young to teach our children that it's important to respect things such as requested attire for a special event. And cruising is certainly a special event.

Have a wonderful time!

beachchick

I wouldn't go to any extra expense for clothes for the 15 month old--no one expects a baby to be "dressed" in anything except baby clothes---whatever you'd take him to dinner in at home will be fine.

The 7 yo--I'd do at least a tie (the the appropriate shirt and pants) for formal night! All other evenings, pants and a pull-over shirt is fine.

On the Westerdam earlier this month,I brought Bermuda type shorts, dark navy, with blue knee high socks and black shoes (that were actually sneakers but looked like dress shoes), along with a short sleeved dress shirt and clip on tie. Not perfectly within the dress code, but they looked like an old fashioned dress suit for a little boy, and everyone commented how proper they looked. I told them this is what all boys noted as "Master" on their tickets had to wear and they were fine with it. After the one formal showing the shorts lost their crease and were usable as walking type shorts, and the shirts/ties were packed away. Just an idea, much easier and more useful than full dress wear-

Tina

We picked up suits on ebay for <$20 and actually the boys feel sooooo dressed up....they LIKE it. At the childrens consignment store in town I was able to get dress shirts and a couple of vests for my 4 year old - the clothes were in perfect condition (probably worn for a wedding or Easter) and cost a dollar or two. We borrowed 2 clip on ties and bought 3 at the consignment store...then we just mixed them up.

I gave the suits my boys wore when they were younger to my sister-in-law. The ones they wore last year still fit (thank goodness). Ask around (friends or family attended a wedding recently? - ties are especially easy to borrow!)

Judy

I just took my son's size 7 things he wore on our last cruise to a children's resale shop. They consisted of 2 pairs of khaki pants, one pair of navy blue pants, one pair of black dress pants, 1 white dress shirt and one tie. I also had an outfit that I bought him which was a shirt, vest, tie and black pants. He only wore these things on our 7 day cruise and never again. So they were basically brand new. Do you have access to a clothing store that sells gently used children's clothing?

You don't need an outfit for every night. Say for instance 1 pair of khaki pants with a couple different polo type shirts.

Stephanie

Im already searching for a "baby tie" for my soon to be 8 month-old (got the button down shirts on clearance) and my 3 year-old will wear her "Easter dress and Christmas dress" for formal nights. The other nights I will put the baby in polo shirts/pants.

We just came back from sailing on Carnival (Freedom). My boys wore polo type shirts & slacks most of the time. On formal night, my one son wore a suit jacket (no tie) because he wanted to but my other one just wore nice trousers & button down dress shirt. They looked fine & fit right in with the other children we saw.

I would put the 7 year old in a long sleeved shirt and tie, at least on formal night. All of my kids dress up a bit (no tuxedos or formal dresses) for dinner.

My 3 year old son was in a suit last year that I got for $40 at JC Penney - it included the LS shirt and the tie. We then used the pants for other nights with different shirts. He will be in a suit again this cruise. For us, it is a "teaching moment". There are times when we dress up and do special things. You will love it when you look back at the pictures! For all the money you are spending on this cruise, spend a few extra dollars to look good for formal night!!

IMG_0541.jpg.8b61f64b12db0f2e695b5d28629fd08e.jpg

Archived