Disney, RCCI or Carnival with 2 year old?

Kat2569

Ok I think this time around we need some input from some of your more experienced family cruiser! We are not totally new to cruising but this time it will be a little different. My husband and I have taken two cruises before several years ago: One on the Explorer of the Seas and the other on the Mariner of the seas. We really enjoyed our cruises with Royal Caribbean at that time and would love to try out the Liberty or Freedom, but....

this time around we will be travelling with our son, who will be 2 yrs and 10months (not old enough for some of the kids programs). He is fully potty trained but as far as I understand still can not really participate in the club programs. We have narrowed it down to 3 ships beginning of May (that is the only time we can travel) to the Caribbean. We don't care too much about the itinerary at this time.

Our choice are the Liberty of the Seas (RCCI), Disney Magic and Carnival Freedom. We liked the Junior Suites on our last cruises on Royal Caribbean and are planning on booking a similar room this time.

Here is what we are looking for and maybe someone out there has some more information and ideas of which ship may be better suited for us:

Couple: early 40's, like sports, like to relax when we can :), not too much partying going on on the ship, like good food but we are not very picky eaters, like to dress a little nicer for dinner when we have the chance.

Son: 34 months old at time of travel, a little shy, takes a little time to warm up to people, not sure if we could leave him at a nursery by himself, naps during the day, good eater, easy to take out to dinner, potty trained

Looking for a room that we can still have some time to ourselves if at all possible while our son is sleeping. Can we still get to the balcony without waking him up, bathroom, TV etc.? I am just a little confused about the room layout on some of these ships. It looks like most kids would sleep on the sofa and most of them are located next to the balcony.....

Any helpful information would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Katrin

Well in this case, you can't lose with any of those choices. :D

I just did Independence of the Seas last month and I did Freedom of the Seas in 2007. To date, they are STILL our favorite ships. Our experience on this ships beat Disney and Carnival.

BUT, I waited until my youngest turned 3 (literally just days before sailing on Freedom) until we started to do the Freedom class.

Here's why -- no kids club option for Under 3's. My kids LOVE the kids clubs. They loved Camp Carnival. They love Adventure Ocean. And they loved the Disney clubs. So when we choose a ship, they MUST have a kids club for them.

On Liberty, you would have the option to use in cabin sitting. But it's not the same as Adenture Ocean.

So maybe for this year, for this cruise, try Carnival Freedom. He would be able to go to Camp Carnival.

(Personally I am not a huge Disney ship fan...it has it's good points, I just don't think it outweighs the ammenities on other ships)

As far as cabins....

On Liberty, Disney and Carnival, yes you are right, the couch is often the closest to the balcony door. But even with the couch unfolded, we've never had a problem getting out to the balcony.

We put the kids to bed first and tell them we'll be right outside since my kids won't fall asleep if we are in the cabin. So we don't wake them up by going outside, we go outside before they fall asleep. But once they are asleep, we do go in and out, they've never been bothered by it.

Hi there

Can't say I'm a really experienced cruiser. But we did cruise last year on Independence of the Seas with our daughter who was 2 and a 1/2 at the time. Personally I agree with the pp and would say wait until they are 3. There was very little for the under 3's to do . They are also very strict and will not let your lo into the kids club no matter how close they are to being 3. It was quite a stressfull holiday as we found it hard to keep lo occupied. We were also very dissapointed with the food on the childrens menu - alot of it is mainly junk and there was no change of menu for 14 nights!!!!!!!!!! despite requests and assurances that they would change it. I spent every night worrying as to what our lo was going to eat.

I'm sure it would be great for older kids but I don't think RCI cater well for very little ones. Just my opinion of course but we met many stressed parents who felt the same.

Can't comment on any other cruise lines as this was our first cruise with a child.

Anyway good luck whatever you choose hope you enjoy

Sue

I vote for Disney. If your son is fully potty trained and close to his 3rd birthday, they may make an exception and allow him to participate in the Club. I have read many postings on Disboards from parents who have done this. If not, Flounder's Reef (the nursery) is wonderful and my 3 year old preferred it to the Club. The character interaction is exceptional and there are 3 different restaurants that you rotate through, so dining never gets boring. Also, all cabins have a bathtub which is great when bathing little ones. They also have curtains in every room to divide your bed from your son's. We were able to watch TV every night without disturbing our son. On Disney they make it possible for everyone to have a great time regardless of age.

I will have to agree with Crusinmama06, my choice would be Carnival since your child will be able to use Camp Carnival. We cruised on the Carnival Conquest when our son was 2 1/2 and he really enjoyed going to Camp Carnival. When he was 3 we cruised on RCCL Mariner of the Seas and he liked Adventure Ocean as well. They are both great programs. I have to say we have not been on Disney, but it really does not appeal to me.

If you can wait 2 months until your child is 3, everyone will have a better time!

Except on the Disney ships, the regular cabins are basically a square or rectangle--no real privacy for anyonen and only showers--sometimes hard to bathe a child!

A mini-suite might be a good option--a bit more room and a tub!

My choice is also Carnival. Plenty for that age to do and he can join the kids club. Your son may be afraid of the Disney characters which would defeat the purpose of a Disney cruise. He could use the flounders nursery but you still have to pay and has limited hrs (10 per week I believe). You may be able to talk the staff into letting him in to the older group (they let my cousins son in a few months before he was 3, but they have to be completely independent, no help with pulling up pants, wiping anything at all). RCCL kids clubs dont start until 3. Go with Carnival, you wont be disappointed and may actually save some money.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your advise! Just wanted to let you know that we ended up booking the Freedom of the Seas for May 4th. We always wanted to cruise this ship and since our little one more than likely would not like the camps on the other ships yet either, we decided to just go with what we really wanted to do. Either way he will spend the time with us, maybe an in room babysitter for some evenings. So far he does not like to be left alone with strangers. I think in the future I would like to try out the new Disney ship. He will be older than and hopefully happier being left at camp.

We will be posting a review of our cruise once we get back. Thank you again!

By inroom babysitter do you mean family traveling with you?

Carnival does not offer inroom babysitting. Their late night babysitting is done at the Camp Carnival room.

Kat2569 is sailing on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, not Carnival. ;) So there will be in cabin sitting.

The kids menu doesn't change on any cruise I've been on, but don't think for a minute that's all you can feed them from! You can mix and match from the adult menu too. Heck, YOU can order from the kid's menu if you'd like! Even as young as 2 my kids did this. The staff is more than accomodating at making everyone happy. It was funny to see my 3yo learn that all she had to do was ask, and these nice men found her just what she wanted. Doesn't work at home so well though! :)

Yes we are booked on the Freedom of the sees. So they do have babysitting in the cabin. Not sure how well this may work, but we will see. I am not too worried about feeding him on the ship. Luckily he is pretty easy to feed and he mostly tries everything. 4 more weeks. I will update after our cruise!

Yes we are booked on the Freedom of the sees. So they do have babysitting in the cabin. Not sure how well this may work, but we will see. I am not too worried about feeding him on the ship. Luckily he is pretty easy to feed and he mostly tries everything. 4 more weeks. I will update after our cruise!

Just a few tips on Freedom for you.

You book the In Cabin sitting at the Customer Relations Desk. You will pay the babysitter in cash. And some ask if they can take the child around the ship, they meet other sitters. It's their only chance to enjoy the ship as a guest. So she may ask you if you mind.

There are 3-4 daily sessions for Royal Toddlers and their parents. The one at night is "bedtime stories". You can see an example of that schedule at the link in my signature.

There is a section in the library for children's books.

There is also a toy lending program.

The kids menu for RCCL is also at the link in my signature.

Milk is not only available at the Windjammer and in the dining room, but also in Cafe Promenade, just ask for it.

Ice water is available at Sorrento's pizza.

If you are going to do Johnny Rockets, do it on a NON sea day. At lunchtime on a sea day - the wait is often an hour wait. :eek:

Anything else about Freedom that you would like to know about? Freedom and Independence are my FAVORITE ships, period. So let me know if there is anything else you would like to know about them. :D

Thank you so much for all the information! It makes me feel a lot better. I am glad our son is potty trained so I believe he is ok to play at the H2O Zone right? Probably won't let the babysitter take our son outside the room, just because he is a little sensitive when it comes to new people. We are booked for Main dining. Do you have any suggestions for that since he will be with us during the entire time? I just hope he can sit still for so long. He is usually good for up to an hour. Any suggestions of areas that would be best for us to sit with him? Maybe something that we can request? Food should be ok, since he tries and eats mostly everything. Are there usually a lot of kids on the ships during this time of year (beginning of May)? I don't remember anymore from the time we cruised the Explorer and Mariner. It looks like the Freedom is similar to the Mariner/Explorer , just bigger with more features right? Do they provide booster seats in the dining room for the little once? What about dressing them for formal nights. I probably won't put him into a suit. Do you think he would be ok with a pair of khakis, oxford shirt and a little tie? I do want to dress him nicely but not over do it. What about the shows. Do you think any of the shows would be ok for an almost 3 year old? I know we can always leave of course. We are having a pullout sofa in the room, which he will be sleeping on, I believe there is not much to worry about that. Do you remember if the balcony doors have locks on them?

Well that is all I can think of for now. Sorry for my long list of questions. Thank you again for taking the time to answer me :)

Katrin

Thank you so much for all the information! It makes me feel a lot better. I am glad our son is potty trained so I believe he is ok to play at the H2O Zone right? Probably won't let the babysitter take our son outside the room, just because he is a little sensitive when it comes to new people. We are booked for Main dining. Do you have any suggestions for that since he will be with us during the entire time? I just hope he can sit still for so long. He is usually good for up to an hour. Any suggestions of areas that would be best for us to sit with him? Maybe something that we can request? Food should be ok, since he tries and eats mostly everything. Are there usually a lot of kids on the ships during this time of year (beginning of May)? I don't remember anymore from the time we cruised the Explorer and Mariner. It looks like the Freedom is similar to the Mariner/Explorer , just bigger with more features right? Do they provide booster seats in the dining room for the little once? What about dressing them for formal nights. I probably won't put him into a suit. Do you think he would be ok with a pair of khakis, oxford shirt and a little tie? I do want to dress him nicely but not over do it. What about the shows. Do you think any of the shows would be ok for an almost 3 year old? I know we can always leave of course. We are having a pullout sofa in the room, which he will be sleeping on, I believe there is not much to worry about that. Do you remember if the balcony doors have locks on them?

Well that is all I can think of for now. Sorry for my long list of questions. Thank you again for taking the time to answer me :)

Katrin

Yep, if he is potty trained then you can take him anywhere you like in the H20 zone or the main pool. :D

The dining room, they feed those kids quickly. We can be in and out in under an hour, no problem. I don't remember the booster because we did use a high chair pulled up the the table when my youngest was 3 on Freedom. Then just take the tray off and pull her right up. And it was there every night for us when we got there.

Kids in May, yep lots. Freedom has kids year round. We went in a REAL downtime in Feb and there were 250 kids onboard. During April and Summer there can be as many as 1,100 kids onboard.

The only difference between Freedom and Explorer/Mariner....bigger ship. Flowrider. H20 Zone. And I don't know if the Mariner/Explorer has "Sprinkles" ice cream at the pool. It's free soft serve ice cream. Open from 11am - 9pm every day. I can't tell you how many ice cream cones we consumed in the week...lol.

Khakies and a dress shirt/tie would be perfectly fine. He doesn't need a little tux or anything. He will look adorable I'm sure.

Shows, all they ask is that you stay out of the first few rows with kids. I am sure he'll be fine. You could always leave. Don't miss the ice show...he'll like that. And the parades, always good.

Pull out sofa looks like this....

338.jpg

And the lock - I took pictures....lol. Yes, it's tough to get open. My kids couldn't do it.

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

OMG Thank you so much! You are such an asset to this board! Boy I feel a lot better! Love the pics of the locks, that is too funny. My husband just mentioned today that he was a little concerned about the balcony, now I can show him the lock pictures. I think he will feel better. Oh yes one more thing, would it be wise to bring some outlet covers for the outlets. Of course when we last cruised we never paid attention to these things. Thank you again :) !

Oh I got one more: Potty seats. Did you bring one for the cruise? We have one of these baby bjorn seats for the toilet. Do they fit? Gee the stuff you have to think about, once they are potty trained. Oh the fun ;)

Archived