Cruising during Christmas Holidays...

ShibaInuMom

I did my first Christmas cruise 2 years ago on The Crown sailing out of San Juan. I was a little concerned about being away and in a tropical climate for the holidays, but Princess definitely set the mood for the holidays. They had Christmas music playing throughout the cruise. The ship was decorated from top to bottom. Chrostmas tress and decorations everywhere. Santa stopped by for a short visit and had a stuffed animal for all the good boys and girls under age 17 I believe. Eggnog was served for Christmas breakfast and an excellent Gingerbread souffle at Christmas dinner plus a small item for each to open at the dinner table in addition to a stocking with a few pieces of candy on your pillow.

This year is Christmas cruise 2. I will be on the new Ruby doing a 10 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. Princess also has a ship doing 7 night cruises out of San Juan if you need a shorter cruise.

I'm sure other lines do something similar, but I don't have first hand experience on any.

All cruise lines will decorate beautifully for the holidays, and will serve festive foods. My personal choice would be either Princess or Holland America. Holiday sailings are more expensive than others ... but not by a whole lot. Choose where you want to go and what ports you want to visit, and make your choice that way. Good luck!

we have done christmas/new years cruises many times,all on different Princess ships. We cruised to the Far East, Australia, Mexico and the Caribbean over the holidays and all the ships were decorated beautifully,it feels real special to be cruising at that time of the year. The only drawback are the airports (if you need to fly to the port) at that time ,lines are very long especially right after New Years or just before christmas. Pack a lot of patients at the airport hassle and remember the good times you are going to have once you board your ship. Happy sailing!!:o

Our last cruise was during the holidays on the Island Princess to Hawaii in 2005/06. The ship was decorated to the hilt, waitstaff in the Horizon were wearing Santa caps, the kids made many Christmas and Hanukkah crafts in the kids' program. Many decorated their cabin doors and most likely inside their cabins. We put a foam sticker menorah up by our tv, and "lit" a foam sticker candle each night during Hanukkah, and attended the first night lighting in one of the major lounges along with many other passengers. There was a rabbi, priest and reverend onboard to lead services for the various religions.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, we are anxiously awaiting the 2010-11 schedule to see which ship is doing this itinerary late December 2010. For us, it was nice to be away from the crowds at the mall.

I did a Holland Panama Canal one over Christmas 2006.

Then Celebrity New Zealand/Australia one Christmas 2007.

Last year was Celebrity South America Christmas 2008.

This year I am eyeing the Princess Asia itinerary for Christmas 2009.

They were all great. :-) I think you need to do Asia with Princess because nobody has started a thread yet. I am waiting a couple of weeks to work out my work schedule before I can definitively say I can go.

Archived