Obstructed view cabins

Xoe

I'm re-titling this to see if it catches someone's eye.

We've booked an Alaska cruise in late May, Zaandam HH category, obstructed view on Lower Promenade deck -- a short walk out onto the promenade deck, which seems a good choice given that we're aiming for economy.

I've read that due to noise considerations, we should avoid being under the Galley, so we're reserved further back, beneath the Rotterdam dining room.

Has anyone had experience with this stateroom location? Your input will be appreciated: are we better off below the dining room than below the galley or the theater, or doesn't it matter?

I think I've responded to you on this question before, but I'll answer again just to give you a little "action" and a bump to the top.

We had 3385 on the Amsterdam and experienced quite a bit of noise all night long. Boytjie had 3384 (port side) and had no noise that bothered him.

I believe that being under the dining room would be better than what we had, as the foot traffic should taper off around 10:30p to 11:00p or so.

Under the show lounge any noise should end around 11:00-ish, except on the night of the crew show, which usually starts around 11:15p and runs about an hour.

:)

I think I've responded to you on this question before, but I'll answer again just to give you a little "action" and a bump to the top.

We had 3385 on the Amsterdam and experienced quite a bit of noise all night long. Boytjie had 3384 (port side) and had no noise that bothered him.

I believe that being under the dining room would be better than what we had, as the foot traffic should taper off around 10:30p to 11:00p or so.

Under the show lounge any noise should end around 11:00-ish, except on the night of the crew show, which usually starts around 11:15p and runs about an hour.

:)

Yeah, what John said. :D

Avoid 3425 and 3426! (These were on the Volendam, but they'll be the same on the Zaandam.) Here's why. (On the positive side, they WERE quiet. :))

Robin

Seriously? Our window is IN there?

2389519430095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

The 'view' from inside:

2733530160095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Xoe! We were on a 10 day Mexican Riviera a few years ago on the Zaandam. Our HH 3397 was under the begining of the dining room and very quiet. We have booked in the same HH area on the Ryndam and Maasdam. We had a view if you stood at an angle. I liked the fact that nobody parked their deck chair under our window, and it was a quick trip up to the diningroom!

Enjoy the Zaandam!

Karen

we were in one of the HH cabins on veendam--had view of the promenade and the steel support--but could still see the ocean if we got up to the window and looked to the side. We were also under the front of the dining room--no noise issues noted except for maybe 2 times very briefly. Other than you should close your curtain after dark--cabin was fine for the price. (but of course, if you can afford it--go for the balcony cabin--is definitely nicer--no question)(and we took a peek at the neptune lounge and surrounding suites--really nice--like difference of model 6 in the HHs vs Radisson...)

Robin7, your photos give a good chuckle -- and chuckles are good these days, with the news mostly so dismal! Yes those are cabins to avoid, I would agree.

We originally booked HH3384, thinking it would be quiet, then realized that it is under the galley. After reading about noise problems in rooms directly beneath the galley, we changed to HH3401, which puts us under the front part of the dining room, Starboard. That seems like a better bet, and all of your helpful responses support that decision.

We have enjoyed veranda staterooms on Ryndam, Amsterdam, and Westerdam; we especially love the suites that come w/ the Neptune Lounge -- we were in those once on Amsterdam and once on Westerdam. But this time we are trying the bargain-priced HH category, thinking it should be okay since we can pop out onto the promenade deck easily when there's something we MUST see (as often happens in Alaska). It's an experiment -- we'll see how it goes!

We sailed on the Rotterdam to Panama Canal in 2004, Lower Promenade 3429. It was a light partially obstructed view but having the exit door to the Promenade Deck right next to us was great, like having our own balcony. I would book a cabin on this deck again and save the "balcony" money for other fun stuff....:D

We're on Zaandam May 29th, booked just a couple days ago -- good price, and a time frame that worked around other commitments (family members coming for visits etc.).

Since our home is an easy drive either to Vancouver or Seattle, an Alaska cruise is an easy spur-of-the-moment summer vacation for us. This will be our 7th Alaska cruise. We prefer itineraries that include Glacier Bay and Sitka, which this one does. Going on to Denali and Fairbanks is great also, but that happens far less often.

Here's to a happy cruising summer for us all!

We were in HH3380 on the Amsterdam to Alaska last year and loved it. Great value, no noise issues. We would book a similar cabin in a heartbeat. Any cruise we have looked at since, the cabins in the HH category in that part of the ship were already booked.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska!

We have enjoyed veranda staterooms on Ryndam, Amsterdam, and Westerdam; we especially love the suites that come w/ the Neptune Lounge -- we were in those once on Amsterdam and once on Westerdam. But this time we are trying the bargain-priced HH category, thinking it should be okay since we can pop out onto the promenade deck easily when there's something we MUST see (as often happens in Alaska). It's an experiment -- we'll see how it goes!

The HH was a step UP for us since we usually book inside cabins. We called it our 'inside outside' cabin. :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Robin

We were first booked in HH3484 on Zaandam, which would be almost next door to your 3480 (on Amsterdam) -- but then changed to 3401 because some posters had reported bothersome nighttime noise from the galley overhead in that section of the ship (3480-3484 etc.). Sounds like that was not your experience on Amsterdam?

In any event, we are now booked in HH3401 and look forward to experiencing that location on the ship, especially the quick walk out to the promenade deck. Thanks to all for your help on this question!

We were first booked in HH3484 on Zaandam, which would be almost next door to your 3480 (on Amsterdam) -- but then changed to 3401 because some posters had reported bothersome nighttime noise from the galley overhead in that section of the ship (3480-3484 etc.). Sounds like that was not your experience on Amsterdam?

We were in 3384 on the Amsterdam (which seems to be on cabin away from 3384 on the Zaandam) and did not hear much noise from whatever was above us - I believe it was the galley.

Thanks for the thread! I've booked an HH on the Ryndam and this is great info -- I was **told** it wouldn't have much overhead noise, and I'm glad some were able to verify that. We were UNDER the lower prom on our last cruise and Thumper and Thunderfoot were VERY early risers, doing lap after lap over our heads.

I was soon able to identify them in person by how they walked :D

I have to add that we did hear a bit of noise on some mornings when the crew washed off the promenade deck, but it wasn't really that bad, and that should hold true for all outside cabins on the promenade deck, not just specific ones.

own up to being "Thumper" and/or "Thunderfoot"?? Those would be nice message board names! I'd not thought of the risks of being UNDER the Lower Promenade deck -- good advice, which I will remember.

• 2 months later...
We sailed on the Rotterdam to Panama Canal in 2004, Lower Promenade 3429. It was a light partially obstructed view but having the exit door to the Promenade Deck right next to us was great, like having our own balcony. I would book a cabin on this deck again and save the "balcony" money for other fun stuff....:D

AlinaMaria, do you remember where the exit door to the Deck is? Can 3428 or 3431 access to that door too? 3428 is on the left back side of the ship and 3431 is on the right. Look like 3431 is on the same hall way with 3429; but 3428 side seems to have a bigger opening for an exit way.

Thanks.

Avoid 3425 and 3426! (These were on the Volendam, but they'll be the same on the Zaandam.) Here's why. (On the positive side, they WERE quiet. :))

Robin

Seriously? Our window is IN there?

2389519430095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

The 'view' from inside:

2733530160095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Wait till they look in and then place the palm of your hand on the window. Watch how quich they run away from the window. We had an aft room like that on the Volendam (it was considered an inside cabin) and were extremely pleased with it. If you are doing an HH, why not book a guarantee and maybee you will get an upgrade to at least a partially obstructed view. That happened to us last year on the Noordam.

Harlan

own up to being "Thumper" and/or "Thunderfoot"?? Those would be nice message board names! I'd not thought of the risks of being UNDER the Lower Promenade deck -- good advice, which I will remember.

Here is a link to my review of the Zaandam on which I did a study of the HH that had good views. I hope you find it helpful!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414393&highlight=mom+her+sidekick+sean+review+zaandam+alaska

we cruised on the zaandam last august and got and upgrade to cabins 3392 and 3394. They were a nightmare - directly under the main galley. noise throughout the night - sounded like bowling balls rolling across the floor. no chance of a move as ship was full, so we resorted to earplugs. continued and we complained for the whole week . 4 cabins in our corridor were all unhappy. Then a bearing on one of the dishwashing machines overhead went.JoJo tried to sort it but was v disapointing. Bottles of wine, meal in the Pinnacle grill etc and onboard ship credit were given. At one point we had 4 members of staff in our room listening to noise while we were in bed. Well we have laughed about it since - but at the time it was not funny at all. I will be very careful in future I think!!

• 9 months later...

We will be on the Holland America 14 day Alaska Adventure cruise, aboard the Amsterdam out of Seattle, on the 28th of June, 2010. I am curious whether anyone has any thing to tell me about 3398 and 3400. This will be our 2nd HAL cruise. We enjoyed a seven day Mexican cruise after watching the Rose Parade on New Years Day.:)

I am curious whether anyone has any thing to tell me about 3398 and 3400. This will be our 2nd HAL cruise. We enjoyed a seven day Mexican cruise after
If you look straight out from either of those cabins you will see a steel wall, but looking hard right (3398) or hard left (3400) you will be able to see water.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

We will be on the Holland America 14 day Alaska Adventure cruise, aboard the Amsterdam out of Seattle, on the 28th of June, 2010. I am curious whether anyone has any thing to tell me about 3398 and 3400. This will be our 2nd HAL cruise. We enjoyed a seven day Mexican cruise after watching the Rose Parade on New Years Day.:)

Blacksandedd,cant help you but would like to invite you to join in on the roll call for this sailing. I will be sailing with you and will be on other side of ship opposite room 3400. I guess my view would be same as that room. Please join in on the roll call,it's been a little slow. This will be my first cruise to Alaska and on the Amsterdam. Can't wait

Archived