Poll: Is it Okay to hold a deck chair

mapman_2004

Is it okay to hold a deckchair?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to hold a deckchair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only for less than 15 minutes

You forgot the poll but the Carnival rule allows chairs to be held for 30 minutes.

30 minutes is reasonable I think. Time to go to the restroom, or take a dip in the pool, or grab something from the buffet to eat. After that it should be fair game.

15 minutes is not enough. Even 30 is not in some cases, as in when the kids want to go down the slide and there is a long line (on some ships it is located aft). I would not be a happy camper if someone moved my stuff.

Now, if someone shows up at 7 am to distribute fruit on 4 deck chairs, then goes back to bed - off with their heads.:D

I voted 'yes' only because if the DW went to grab a burger or go to the bathroom, or both, a short 'hold' is OK...:)

For those who get up in the AM and put bananas and old books on numerous chairs.. I agree; "Off with their heads"!:D

If you are saving or holding a chair, and it looks "lived in", then I will leave it alone. If it has that classic chair saver look of a flip flop, banana, one bottle of sunscreen, etc then I will consider it mine. No counting minutes, no waiting and seeing if they come, it is all mine.

Already the poll is skewed because some voted yes (which would infer unlimited minutes on saving) when in reality, if you'd have put the 30 minutes Carnival allows that would have been their choice. I agree that 30 minutes is a good time limit, that gives plenty of time to go to the bathroom, get something to eat, go to the bar or take a dip in the pool. To the guy who said he would be upset if his things were moved if he'd gone to the slide when it had a long line--let me guess, that should entitle you to be able to take a long as you want and that the rules don't apply to you??? Would waiting until the line died down be an option perhaps??? I voted for the 15 minute option thing because I assumed you meant the 30 minute limit allowed by Carnival, and yes, I am ok with that limit.

I don't think one has to be Sherlock Holmes to tell the difference between chairs vacated by one in the pool or on the slide. Or a spouse or parent holding a chair while the kids are playing or the spouse is dipping.

Its the very obvious 'saved since 6AM' with NOBODY in them chairs that are the problem.

Simple solution, pick up all the stuff, [you do not need to want the chair] turn it in to lost and found and go about your business.

Dan

I didnt' vote because I don't really agree with any of the options. Yes it's ok if the person will be right back. No it's not ok to save a chair for someone while they are off watching a show or doing a different activity. Carnival says 30 minutes is fine so I'd go with it but again it's not an option.

So I vote D: none of the above :D

Already the poll is skewed because some voted yes (which would infer unlimited minutes on saving) when in reality, if you'd have put the 30 minutes Carnival allows that would have been their choice. I agree that 30 minutes is a good time limit, that gives plenty of time to go to the bathroom, get something to eat, go to the bar or take a dip in the pool. To the guy who said he would be upset if his things were moved if he'd gone to the slide when it had a long line--let me guess, that should entitle you to be able to take a long as you want and that the rules don't apply to you??? Would waiting until the line died down be an option perhaps??? I voted for the 15 minute option thing because I assumed you meant the 30 minute limit allowed by Carnival, and yes, I am ok with that limit.

That'd be me.

Not sure about entitlement, but nobody has the right to move my stuff if I get caught in line and spend 35 minutes on the slide because my little one wanted to go on the slide, or one of my kids had an "emergency" and I had to run him/her to the cabin to change clothes. Not sure if you have kids, but ess like this happens. It is their vacation too, and sometimes the line does not go down on the slide. I wonder how saying "Sorry kids, some lady on Cruise Critic said we have to come back later" would go over. ;) :D

As Dan and others have said, the real culprits here are the ones that are blatantly holding chairs for extended periods.

Actually everybody has the right to move your stuff if you gone over 30 mins. There has to be a cut off somewhere.

Not when there are chairs being saved for hours.

There will be chair hogs that will get away with it. There will be people here debating whether it is ok to stand over a chair with a stop watch. I don't see much use in arguing the point.

That'd be me.

Not sure about entitlement, but nobody has the right to move my stuff if I get caught in line and spend 35 minutes on the slide because my little one wanted to go on the slide, or one of my kids had an "emergency" and I had to run him/her to the cabin to change clothes. Not sure if you have kids, but ess like this happens. It is their vacation too, and sometimes the line does not go down on the slide. I wonder how saying "Sorry kids, some lady on Cruise Critic said we have to come back later" would go over. ;) :D

As Dan and others have said, the real culprits here are the ones that are blatantly holding chairs for extended periods.

I'm a Mom to 6 so I think I qualify to answer that statement LOL

If I had to go back to the room I would take my stuff with me. If we went to eat at the buffet I'd take my things. The only time i would leave my items would be if for a quick bathroom trip or to grab a bottle of water from the bar on the deck.

Those scenarios are if the area is busy and I know people are wanting seats. If it's half empty and there are plenty of chairs around I may not worry about it. To me it's just considerate to take your items when you are leaving the area for more than a few minutes. Wether there is a rule that states I have to or not.

• Administrators

Yup, slanted poll, apparently intended to get "yes" replies by saying "15 minutes only." That's not enough time to go through the buffet line, and maybe not even enough to return to the cabin for a forgotten item, which would be why CCL's policy is 30 minutes.

Yup, slanted poll, apparently intended to get "yes" replies by saying "15 minutes only." That's not enough time to go through the buffet line, and maybe not even enough to return to the cabin for a forgotten item, which would be why CCL's policy is 30 minutes.

I quickly made the poll, so it is slightly slanted. Funny though, I was hoping for more No's and Yes, with 15 minutes. I choose 15 since it should be plenty of time to do something. I should have clarified that it doesn't inlcude the time you are in the pool or nearby, which is essentially still using the chair.

I believe it's okay to hold a chair, under certain circumstances.

If the person is actually on their way to the chair, or just away doing/getting something that doesn't take too long.

But for the most part, I have never had a problem with chairs.

I'm a Mom to 6 so I think I qualify to answer that statement LOL

If I had to go back to the room I would take my stuff with me. If we went to eat at the buffet I'd take my things. The only time i would leave my items would be if for a quick bathroom trip or to grab a bottle of water from the bar on the deck.

Those scenarios are if the area is busy and I know people are wanting seats. If it's half empty and there are plenty of chairs around I may not worry about it. To me it's just considerate to take your items when you are leaving the area for more than a few minutes. Wether there is a rule that states I have to or not.

Agreed - I would take my stuff with me and vacate the chair entirely if I were going to be gone any extended amount of time - including long waterslide lines or trips back to the cabin longer than a quick trip to grab something which shouldn't take more than 10 minutes anyway. Any major cabin trips, changing kids that will take longer than the 30 minutes allowed by Carnival or other activities and the chair should be given up out of consideration for others.

I just got home from the 3/13/09 sailing of the Miracle. It was a terrible situation with the poolside lounges, people would put a towel or tie two chairs together with one towel and almost every downstairs/poolside chair was taken by 7:30 AM!!! Not with people, with towels and bottles of lotion and even at noon or later, those chairs were still sitting there unused. It made me very upset because I really like to be close to the pool to take a quick dip and because I had to go upstairs, it was a huge production every time I wanted to just jump in the pool, and those empty chairs just sat there because of selfish, entitled people. I wish Carnival would enforce their policy, because they did not, ever, do anything about it! I understand people have kids, etc., you can tell when someone is actually using the chair, there is real stuff, shoes, etc. I don't care if someone leaves for an hour and comes back, even, I am talking about holding a chair hostage from 6 am all day long just in case someone decides to drop by the pool area. It is really rude and just like everyone has been saying, indicative of the uncooperative attitudes people have now. People have moved chairs to block ingress and egress and block your sun or not allow you room to reach in between chairs for your drink. If people would just be the tiniest bit flexible and cooperative, it would make the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.

Archived