Alaska Excursion Cost(s)

josiemartinez

Am interested in doing the Sitka Native Culture/Raptor Center tour. Celebrity's cost is $136 per person vs Sitka Tribal Enterprises (sitkatours.com) cost of $57 per person. This has got to be a major rip-off by Celebrity. Has anyone taken the tour by the Sitka Tribal folks? I know cruise excursions are generally higher but this is more than double the cost!

I also read on the Sitka web site that there are tribal buses that will take you to the villages and the raptor center.

I'm debating reserving our tour via sitkatours on line prior to the cruise but want to make sure we are returned to the ship on time. Mercury is in port from 11:00 am to 7 pm.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You may want to post on the Alaska board to get more feedback.

We simply walked to the Sitka national forest (or something like that), enjoyed the center there, saw the totems, etc. and walked on to the raptor center. Saw the intersting fish hatchery and the Russian house on the way back. Great day.

Happy Sails to You

At the wharf where the ship tenders dock there is a Visitor Center/Restrooms. Ask there about which bus (it was the gray Tribal Bus I think) does the circuit every half hour (I think) of all points of interest. Tickets are about $7 and good all day (hop on/hop off). It goes near the Raptor Center and the Tribal Center.

The Raptor Center is about $15 dollars (less for seniors) to go on the inside tour. Outside cages and inclosures are free.

I never experienced the Tribal Center activities. You could probably buy a ticket at the entrance. Ask at the visitor center and pick up a free map there showing the route and stops.

Enjoy Alaska and your cruise.

I also suggest checking out the Alaska boards and getting more information. DH and I will be doing lots of research about cheaper excursions on our own, simply because we cannot believe the price of some of the excursions in Alaska! It it outrageous. We have had lots of success planning non-ship excursions in the past. Just remember, you get the added bonus of being guaranteed enough time to make it back to the ship with a ship excursion.

I also suggest checking out the Alaska boards and getting more information. DH and I will be doing lots of research about cheaper excursions on our own, simply because we cannot believe the price of some of the excursions in Alaska! It it outrageous. We have had lots of success planning non-ship excursions in the past. Just remember, you get the added bonus of being guaranteed enough time to make it back to the ship with a ship excursion.

I believe the Alaska excursions are the most marked up of any I've ever seen...and that's on all cruise lines.

The Denali destination is the most hyped and absurdly priced excursion, expecially since you rarely actually see wildlife given the number of tour busses that drive in each day. We had friends who did the denali bit with princess (out of Whittier) for two days and the only moose they saw was as the bus turned into the airport back in Ancorage.

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies. I did see that there was a tribal bus and this is the way my friend and I are going to go. I was just nonplussed to the huge difference in the excursion fee. I've been on many cruises and I do realize that the ship's excursions are always higher but not by such a wide margin.

Appreciate everyone's input. 72 days and counting....

josie

Archived