Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

Subsequent eruptions during the 6-month time frame were more mudflows/lavars (whatever they are called)

Lavars are actually spelled Lahars, I believe it is a Hawaiian word. A lahar is a mudflow, but consist of ash (instead of soil) and water. Like a wet cement when it flows, and will harden like cement when it dries.

Tim

Well we didn't get much ash but the air was crappy:eek: itchy eyes and sore throat and a sulfur smell most of the day. The visibility was also poor. The wind picked up from the north and the air has cleaned up:o. this is my 4th eruption and they have all been different !

Redoubt explodes a 6th time

The Alaska Volcano Observatory reports that the sixth eruption came at 7:41 p.m. Monday. The five earlier eruptions came late Sunday night into Monday morning.

Based on Mount Redoubt's historical patterns, this activity could continue for weeks or months, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said during a teleconference Monday.

Dozens of flights have been canceled Monday evening, and Tuesday morning due to consitent eruption activity with Mount Redoubt.

I am somewhat concerned....

Redoubt explodes a 6th time

The Alaska Volcano Observatory reports that the sixth eruption came at 7:41 p.m. Monday. The five earlier eruptions came late Sunday night into Monday morning.

Based on Mount Redoubt's historical patterns, this activity could continue for weeks or months, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said during a teleconference Monday.

Dozens of flights have been canceled Monday evening, and Tuesday morning due to consitent eruption activity with Mount Redoubt.

I am somewhat concerned....

Don't be too concerned. I assume you are flying into Anchorage on Continental from IAH since you live in Houston. Last August there was another Alaskan volcano that was erupting. Because of the ash, we didn't do the nonstop as scheduled, our flight from IAH flew to Calgary, we refueled without getting off the plane and then we flew on to Anchorage - around the ash cloud. We could see the ash cloud after we left Calgary and a little later we could smell it! Actually, since it's a sulphur smell, everyone thought there was a problem with the restrooms until the pilot came on and said what it was!:eek:

Don't be too concerned. I assume you are flying into Anchorage on Continental from IAH since you live in Houston. Last August there was another Alaskan volcano that was erupting. Because of the ash, we didn't do the nonstop as scheduled, our flight from IAH flew to Calgary, we refueled without getting off the plane and then we flew on to Anchorage - around the ash cloud. We could see the ash cloud after we left Calgary and a little later we could smell it! Actually, since it's a sulphur smell, everyone thought there was a problem with the restrooms until the pilot came on and said what it was!:eek:

Thanks for addressing my concerns... We are flying on Delta through Salt Lake City. Hopefully this will "blow over".:)

B

Good morning all. Here's a picture of Redoubt as of 7:55 p.m. last night

1237902265_ak231.jpg

The ashfall advisories have been cancelled. It's still very active but no eruptions since the last one last night. They do say the wind pattern is to change today so if it blows tonight or tomorrow looks like Anchorage will be in the way this time.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Morebeaches asked about Redoubt Lodge. We are going to be there at the end of May so I have been concerned. Naomi at American Safari Cruises told me that she talked to Kirsten yesterday and was told that they were OK. The lodge is 8 miles south of the volcano.

Pam

That's what I've heard the volcanologist says on the news that this episode is acting a lot like the 1989-1990 one. Though last time I can't remember how long it rumbled before it blew.

Susan - it sounds like you might also be a Star Trek fan - I thought volcanologits study Volcans...just trying to lighten up the thread a little.:p

Susan - it sounds like you might also be a Star Trek fan - I thought volcanologits study Volcans...just trying to lighten up the thread a little.:p

I thought that was Vulcanologists who study Vulcans :D

As I tell people, no worries, it's just a little nuisance and life continues on with it or without it erupting.

Susan :)

No ash on my white snow....Sun is out and the sky is blue....but I was on the last plane into Anchorage on Sunday......from Nome......The last plane (the mushers plane loaded with dogs from Iditarod was diverted to Fairbanks.....Don't worry, they will figure it out....Volcanos erupt pretty frequently here. Last year's never even made the paper.....or was it the year before...and service was terminated between SEA and ANC for about a week or so....

Mt. Redoubt Volcano Eruption

(Updated 10:53 a.m. March 24, 2009)

Alaska Airlines has resumed flights in and out of Alaska this morning following the clearing of ash clouds from Mt. Redoubt. Scheduled service to Bethel, Nome and Kotzebue will operate pending favorable reports that ash clouds have moved out of the area.

As for Redoubt's eruptive status, geologists said it appears a dome is building in Redoubt's crater. The dome, they say, could collapse and trigger another eruption.

The difficult thing with these dome-building eruptions is it is very difficult to give short-term warning, because these things can go unstable and fail very quickly, putting an ash plume up to significant heights," said Stephanie Prejean, a geophysicist.

A similar dome-building episode occurred on Redoubt when it erupted in 1989 and 1990, according to the AVO (Alaska Volcano Observatory). The mountain erupted a total of 20 times.

The AVO's best guess: Redoubt is not finished yet.

Yes, I think we're in a waiting and watching mode...

B

I just received an email reply from my TravelSafe broker informing me if flights cancel due to Redoubt eruption when I am traveling in June/July, I am not covered. Apparently there was some official announcement about Redoubt prior to my policy purchase that makes it a "preexisting condition".

YMMV, read your fine print.

It spit a little at 5:12 this morning. Hit the 15,000 foot level so at that the winds are still blowing north.

It's one of those things you just sit and wait, sit and wait to see what it's going to do.

I just received an email reply from my TravelSafe broker informing me if flights cancel due to Redoubt eruption when I am traveling in June/July, I am not covered. Apparently there was some official announcement about Redoubt prior to my policy purchase that makes it a "preexisting condition".

YMMV, read your fine print.

I actually called Travel Guard the other day and this is what I found out. The policy I called about covered air travel delay caused by weather. My thinking was that ash in the air is a weather condition. WRONG. It's considered (by Travel Guard anyway) a Natural Disaster; not a weather event. To them it's not anything about a pre-existing event; it's listed in another category.

You're so right; read the fine print!

I actually called Travel Guard the other day and this is what I found out. The policy I called about covered air travel delay caused by weather. My thinking was that ash in the air is a weather condition. WRONG. It's considered (by Travel Guard anyway) a Natural Disaster; not a weather event. To them it's not anything about a pre-existing event; it's listed in another category.

You're so right; read the fine print!

Oh My Goodness!! That's not good.:eek:

Archived