dress code for teenagers

across the seas

family of 7...4 adults and 3 teenagers going on the crown august 12 to britian...are dress shirts and casual pants ok for the boys on formal nights?

Definitely for the buffet, depends upon the maitre'd for the dining rooms....if you can add a sports coat and tie they will be absolutely fine in the dining rooms. I realize that packing space may be limited, and kids outgrow things so quickly, but adding one sports coat for dinners isn't that difficult, and if you can't justify the investment just for this cruise, check out the thrift shops. Lots of these items are lightly used, and "recycled" by wise moms.

We have seen people turned away on formal night - and on other sailings there has not been a problem with more casual attire. It is hard to predict, but better to follow the recommended guidelines for attire, even for teenage boys.

Have cruised with my wonderful stepson from the time he was 14, and he enjoyed putting on a suit and tie, and dressing up. In fact, he was devastated when our luggage missed the ship in Copenhagen, and we had to wait 2 days to be reunited with it at the next port. He was looking forward to being a "fashion plate" on the trip. The kids may feel left out and even awkward not to be in appropriate attire.

Now, the posts disagreeing with me will begin........:o

family of 7...4 adults and 3 teenagers going on the crown august 12 to britian...are dress shirts and casual pants ok for the boys on formal nights?
Dress code for teenagers is the same as for adults; boys don't have to have tuxes, obviously, but a jacket and tie is appropriate on formal nights even for teens. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a number of British passengers onboard, which you probably will, they are much more nicely dressed and less casual than Americans, even on Smart Casual evenings.

Also keep in mind that a cruise can be an excellent opportunity to get a nice family picture taken. We always get a picture taken on formal night when we're all dressed up. There's no obligation to purchase, but we usually find one we like.

--Junglejane

I saw several teenage boys in the dining room that had on dress shirts and ties, but no jacket. They looked very nice. That might be a nice compromise, if you don't want to pack that many suit jackets.
Yes, they do look nice and chances are that it won't be a problem in the dining room. However, the OP is going on a cruise that will probably have quite a few passengers from the U.K., including teens, who do dress up quite a bit more than Americans do. Peers are important to teens and they may feel out of place among the other teenagers on the ship.

Chances are they will most likely get away with just a dress shirt with or without a tie as it seems Princess doesn't enforce their own dress code. However when we took our teens with us, we told them what dress guidelines were expected. They had no problem with it as they have been shown by our example how to dress for an occasion. They wouldn't go to a wedding or a Prom without a jacket and tie so a cruise formal dinner would be no different.

Since there will be other adults with out jackets & even dress shirts there's no reason why you kids would be banned from eating in the DR especially at your own table.
The kids won't be "banned" nor has anyone said they would be. The OP asked for the dress code and others have responded with what the code is. What the OP does with it is their business.

I'm not sure what you are considering "casual" pants but I would make sure they wear at least some nice looking Docker style slacks. When my boys were younger we had them wear Dockers with shirt, tie and vest (I was able to find dressy vests for under $20). They were 16 and 19 on our cruise last summer in Europe and they wore suits. Teenagers have to learn to dress up sometime.

Also keep in mind that a cruise can be an excellent opportunity to get a nice family picture taken. We always get a picture taken on formal night when we're all dressed up. There's no obligation to purchase, but we usually find one we like.

--Junglejane

Excellent suggestion and what a memory and for a family portrait probably won't be a bad price.

And dressing up for dinner and the shows is fun.

Jack

for the lovely

Since there will be other adults with out jackets & even dress shirts there's no reason why you kids would be banned from eating in the DR especially at your own table.

The questions was answered yesterday so why bring it back up today.:rolleyes:

Archived