What was the nicest thing a crew member did for you?

Romy40

While aboard the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Sea our dinner server, Sergei, (I can remember his name but cant remember people I work around) gave me a bottle of wine from his home country. I was floored.

On he Westerdam last winter the Capt was in line at the lunch bar b que and we asked if he would like to join us at our table for lunch. He quickly agreed and we ended up in an hour long talk of our homes. He showed us video of his family, his home and shared stories of cruise critic complaint idiocy! It was fabulous. Such a gret time. I have a photo of us with him at the Captains Pool Side Table.

We've met so many nice cruise workers and they have done so many nice things for my family from desert to go from dinner for my kids, to doing extra laundry for us just to be nice. But the most help was the time when my son had the flu, he was 5 and it was brutal on a 4 night Thanksgiving trip and it was the ONLY inside room we've ever taken. He gave it to me on day two, but in the mean time he was violently sick in the cabin. Needless to say, it was a terrible clean up project for the steward, but there he was...constantly checking on him and us and cleaning up the cabin. Smiling the whole way. A similar thing happened to my daughter at dinner in the dining room when she was 4, but it appeared she was seasick. A very bad scene happened during dinner at our table for 10, but again, the waiter was there with his staff to help with sympathy for the child and not making a scene.

We always hear the bad things it seems, but we don't go out of our way enough to point out the good ones. Nice thread.

We just returned from the CB Princess repro, NY to San Juan. We were celebrating our actual 25th Anniversary on the ship, and our family had a party fr us before the cruise. At the party they had these big signs "25th Wedding Anniversary" on a stick. So, I stuck the signs in my suitcase, figuring, I could tape them on my balcony while in port, so we could see which balcony was ours. Well, our Cabin Steward found these signs in the closet, near our suitcases, and each day when we entered our cabin in the afternoon, he had these signs positioned in a different place. One day hanging on the wall, another sticking out of our pillows, another day in the shower, one day on the balcony. We had fun rushing back to the room each day to see what he had done with our signs. He really helped us to have a fun 25th Anniversay Cruis!:p

I don't get to see a lot of a friend of mine who lives out in California so even though she had to have surgery a couple of weeks before our cruise she did not want to cancel out. While most of the time she felt OK eating was still difficult and she was only allowed things soft like soup or oatmeal. She is also a vegetarian so the menu was limiting but she was still willing to have a good time.

Our waiter noticed her not eating much and the secon day asked if things were alright. When we explained her condition he asked if we could meet him after lunch the next day. He had gotten all the menus and marked what was vegetarian and then worked with my friend to find things she could have. He even arainged for some of the soups to be available for her to have at lunch time. Not only did he get a good tip but we made sure the maitre'd and managment knew how he wewnt above and beyond for us.

On my very first cruise it was a bit rough at our first dinner with the water in the glasses moving quite a bit it was so rocky. The British waiter asked me if I wanted lkdkjf;l on my lamb. Because of his accent I had no clue what he was saying. I said excuse me and he repeated lkdkjf;l. I asked again and he said the same. I finally just said yes and he proceeded to pour slimy green mint sauce all over my beautiful lamb.

I quickly backed up from the table and ran from the room sure I was going to lose it. I went to my cabin to recover. A little while later the waiter came to the room with an apple for me. He took me on a tour of the crews quarters. He was extremely polite.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival Splendor, 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Room steward gave us a hug as we left the ship and told us it was an honor to know us because we kept our cabin so perfect for the whole cruise. We assumed that most people keep their cabins fairly well picked up and clean on cruises but he laughed and said we simply wouldn't believe the messes that the cabin stewards encounter daily with some passengers.

I went on a cruise on P&O's Pacific Sun in 2005. After a day of swimming and playing bingo on the ship, my friends and I returned to our cabin after having it serviced. We had left our flower leis on our beds after the island themed party the night before and our cabin steward had placed mine back on the bed in the shape of a love heart, and one of my friends' ones had been draped around her stuffed polar bear toy and was sitting on her pillow looking really cute! We took photos from every angle, we were so touched! That guy was adorable!

My daughter has always been fascinated by the crumb sweepers the waiters use on the tables between courses. On our last Carnival cruise she mentioned to our waiter (Minor) that she didn't see them being used anymore. Well after that he used it between every dish to my daughters delight. The last evening of our cruise was her birthday and he brought her 3 different, full size cakes. We shared with all the surrounding tables and they all sang to her and he presented her with a crumb sweeper.

He admitted she reminded him of his daughter he had to leave back in Costa Rica.

Was a very emotional evening and one we will never forget.

On our honeymoon cruise on the Tropicale in 1993 we were seated at a table for four which we ended up being at alone due to the other couple never showing up...they found us a new table with two other couples our age. On the last night of the cruise our original waiter saw me as we entered the dining room looking extremely pale as I had pinched a nerve in my ankle that afternoon, he was extremely helpful and showed great kindness to me even though we were no longer his responsibility. He will always be remembered!

Royal Carribean - Cozumel.

We were a little disappointed with dinner quality - but didnt say anything. Later in the evening we were chatting with a bar tender and commented on the mediocre food. He felt very bad about it and wanted to make it up. No need we told him.

The next day he invited our party of four to join he and his wife, who also works on board, to join them for lunch at their favorite restaurant in Cozumel. He is from Mexico, she is from Croatia. They wanted us to see a side of Mexico that boat tourists dont see. Despite our insistence, he paid for the van taxi to the restaurant. A very simple seafood restaurant, the owner greated us with great pride and reated us like royalty. When the owner found out I was a "foodie" he invited me into this kitchen for a tour - and to see the fish tanks where he chose our meal from.

We've kept email correspondence with our friend and had the opportunity this summer to meet them in Chicago and treated them to a White Sox game.

The only time I wear a tuxedo is on formal nights when I cruise, thus, as a single man traveling solo, I always have a heck of a time trying to get into it. I especially have trouble with the tie that comes with the tux. Thus, the nicest thing a crew memeber does is to help me get into that tux, especially that bowtie.

my travel bag had a big rip in it, and my room steward got it

repaired.

collectively, i have been 0n 35 cruises, and always had wonderful

room stewards and waiters in the dining room.

the only downside to a cruise is they make you get off at the end!!

Well, it's kind of a toss up. On my first cruise ever, my girlfriend and I ended our first night hanging out at one of the bars and the bartender really hooked us up with some drinks that I honestly think he made up on the spot, and then topped it all off by making a paper rose from a napkin. On my second cruise, my waiter was able to get a dessert from the previous day. It's the little things that I love about Carnival. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

We were in the fjords and had ordered breakfast to our room as we didn't want to miss a moment of the beauty. It was absolutely freezing out. An hour (or so) after we had breakfast, there was a knock at the door, and there was the room service steward with a fresh, hot pot of coffee!! It was greatly appreciated! :)

Two things come to mind out of many

On our honeymoon cruise on the old Carnival Jubilee (now, Pacific Sun), our Assistant Waiter was a real hustler. When we went down to Midnight Buffet, not really intending to eat anything, he spotted us, and gave us some chocolate-covered strawberries to take back to the cabin. He got a really nice tip whenthe cruise was over

And, on our last cruise, on Star Princess, we were on the tender coming back to the ship from Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, when the ship's captain, William Kent, sat down next to me. A really nice man, he talked about being stationed in the Falklands in 1983, and how he and I shared a high opinion of Tom Clancy books, especially Red Storm Rising.

I had a broken wrist, so at first, I was looking for foods on the menu that would be easy for me to eat one handed, since I couldn't use a knife. So one night, everyone is ordering something like steak or whatever, and the waiter teases me, asking why I'm not getting "real food". I told him I can't use a knife with my left hand, and can't hold it in my broken right hand. So he ends up bringing me this gorgeous steak, and starts cutting it into little bite sized pieces. Did this every night I ordered something that needed to get cut.

haha well dont know if this classifies but apart from our normal fantastic waiters.. one of the head waiters realised my cousin and i just loved cheesecake and would bring one out especially for us even when it wasnt onthe menu. one night we were so sick of the cheesecake we left early and to our surprise a knock at the door.. he had sent down some cheesecake for room service!

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise (RCI Voyager of the Seas, 2004), my seat in the dining room faced a huge picture window. I was seasick to the point I couldn't even look out at the ocean. So every night when we went to dinner, the first thing our waiter did was close the curtains for me.

This same waiter was also wearing a handmade bracelet made with wooden beads and a wooden cross. I commented on it and told him it was very nice. He said that he had made it for his son and was going home the next month. On our last day of the cruise, we went to the dining room for dinner and laying on the table at my seat was the bracelet. When he came out to take orders, he told me he wanted me to have it. That was so special to me....especially since he had made it for his son. He said he would have plenty of time to make another one before going home. I still have this bracelet in my jewelry box!

• 2 weeks later...

Granduer of the Seas - 2003 - Canada Cruise. My mom ALWAYS wanted to do this cruise. For her 65th Birthday I booked the cruise as a surprise.

After dinner, we would go to the Piano (Schooner Bar) and listen to "Barry From Boston". I asked him the first night to play "Happy Birthday" for my mom. He did and asked everyone to sing. It was great.

On Granduer, you pass through the bar pretty much to get everywhere on the ship. EVERY time we walked through there, he remembered her and played Happy Biirthday. It was a 10 day cruise, after the 3rd day, the bartender had "reserved" a seat for her right next to the piano.

Mom still says that was the best vacation ... EVER!

On the Summit years ago on an Alaska Cruise, I had been on a fishing excursion and got back to my cabin a little on the late side, and my Room Steward was already fixing the room up for the evening. She asked me right away how the fishing had been! Then the last sea day, I had purchased a T Shirt and something else, and headed back to my cabin with of course a bag in one hand. My room steward saw me headed toward my cabin and rushed ahead of me to open the cabin door. Highly unecessary BUT even more highly appreciated! Then on the Galaxy a 12 nighter out of San Juan, a bunch of us CC types got together every night in the Martini Bar, and by early on decided that we would be in the same corner. The Waiter got to know us and what we wanted and as soon as we got seated he was there with our drink! He would often be busy as we left for dinner, but he let us go and then tracked us down at our tables to get the bill signed. I think his pockets were quite heavy at the end of the last night, even paper money can add up to weight quickly!

I was on a gluten free diet for several years, and went on a NCL cruise while i was on this restrictive diet. i felt bad asking for special items, so i didnt say much about it and tried to figure out what i could have on my own. i had written to the cruise line to tell them of my needs, and figured they had forgotten about it. somehow though, the maitre d found out on the second day and actually scolded me for not saying anything! after that, he would look for me, bring me special food, special cookies, and special warmed bread every night. he also notified the dining room if i wanted something special for breakfast. i had eggs benedict for the first time in years because of him :)

i remember one night he didnt see me come in cuz i was late, and i didnt want to bother him so i asked my waiter for the bread. she brought some out, which was still frozen in the center :/. he saw me later and said 'i thought you didnt come tonight!' and brought me my cookies. needless to say, he got an extra tip from me and DH.

while in the airport waiting to fly home i hear someone say behind me, 'hello my gluten free friend!' it was him! he was flying home for 2 days, then flying back to work more. still so friendly even off the ship. what a guy!

• 3 weeks later...

Our 1st cruise, my kids were 6 and 12. I'm a single mom so it was just us three. Lunch the 2nd day and I cant find my ds 6. He had been in Camp Carnival and we were supposed to meet for lunch. His sister and I are looking for what seemed like forever and are walking by the pool and up he comes and I was "where have you been? We were looking every where for you". He says "I went to the dining room and had lunch with my friends". So ok...

Fast forward to dinner, Here comes our waiter and ast waiter.. "How are you, my friend Mr. Cameron? He says, mom these are my friends I had lunch with!

They proceeded to tell me he had shown up and couldnt find me, so they set him up his own little table and waited on him, Chicken nuggets, french fries and ice cream! They said we always take care of our little friend! They were the best waiters (bar 1 other) that we have ever had on a cruise. The last day Cameron cried.. I dont want to leave my friends, can we take them home with us??'' Needless to say they got a nice additional tip. And weve been hooked on cruising ever since!:D

• 5 months later...

DW and myself had an interesting experience on the Destiny on our 1st cruise out of San Juan. We were waiting at one of the elevators and one of the ships officers came by. We struck up a conversation with him and learned that he was the Corporate Hotel Director, the number 2 man in the Carnival Corporation just under the President. He was in charge of EVERYTHING on the ship except to steer it and make it move. He was also responsible for every ship that Carnival built, from laying of the keel to launch. He was on the Destiny filling in for the normal Ship Hotel Director while he was on vacation.

Anyway as we were standing there visiting with him about the ship and Carnival and my DW let a cola slip out of her hand and it hit the deck. That drink had not sooner hit the floor and a steward was there wiping it up. I don't know if there was a steward following him around or just happened to be there at that instant but it was cleaned up just as fast.

I wish I knew his name and I think he was about to retire. He said he had started with Carnival the 2nd week they were in business and worked his way up from flunky to Executive VP. I believe at the time he had about 35 years with the company (or however long they had been in business). That was in April of 05. A very cordial man to talk to and didn't have an air of importance about him, just one of the crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Litewait: your story made me tear up! Such a sweet and heartwarming story! Hopefully your son will see his friends again!

On our recent Emerald Princess cruise, we (group of 8) were waitlisted for TD, late seating. However, we received notice that they could accommodate us in the MTD room, at 8:30 every night, same table/waiter etc.

Our waiter and asst waiter were amazing! The waiter's recommendations were always spot on and he knew our preferences etc after day 2.

1) During the 2nd formal night, my dad got really sea sick. He excused himself from the table just as we placed our order. When our waiter came back to find him absent, he immediately had someone send up a tray to my parent's cabin so my dad wouldn't miss his lobster! He of course couldn't eat it, but the thoughtfulness was not lost on us!

2) The last night, my husband went to our room to retrieve the bottle of Malbec we hadn't open. He brought it to the table and as soon as he sat down, our waiter came over with a corkscrew. He told us that he couldn't open it for us, but we could do it ourselves with his corkscrew! He informed us that if he had opened it, they'd have to charge us the corkage fee (which we would have gladly paid) and he didn't want to do that to us!

I know it's very minor, but I'll always appreciate him (and Princess' wine policy) because he never once tried to "up-sell" or rip us off! We, of course, spent well on that cruise and tipped him extra!

The last night he was able to talk to us at length and show us pics of the house he was building in Albania! I'll never forget him! He was only doing one or two more contracts, then heading home to open a restaurant! Princess is going to lose a wonderful waiter!

3)Our steward that same cruise was wonderfully efficient and friendly! I asked him the 3rd day if he could make DH a towel animal (Princess doesn't do this) because it was my DH's first cruise.

The last night, we came into our cabin to find two; a dog (which he knew we were missing ours back home) and a rabbit.

My husband's face lit up like a kid and it made his night! (ssh..don't tell him I told you)