Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

say don't you know me I'm your native son, I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans, I'll be gone 500 miles fore the day is done!

If you like a little railroading on your cruise.

?Como andamos Moniquet, no le gusta Los Viejitos?

snot - Essix is in East Angular:eek:

The original home of the Eastern Saxons, i.e., Essex, is indeed in East "Angular".

Many places names in the US are from the UK; or derived from the original settlement in the US (that was named after a place in the UK). Sometimes we spell them different;y.

In spite of all the English place names in CT (e.g., New Haven, New London, Hartford, Essex, Oxford, East Hampton -- which is west of Hampton - - -), Connecticut is a name derived from the American Indians. (I can say that un-PC term, as I have Indian ancestry to go along with the English, Scot, Welsh, etc.)

The original home of the Eastern Saxons, i.e., Essex, is indeed in East "Angular".

Many places names in the US are from the UK; or derived from the original settlement in the US (that was named after a place in the UK). Sometimes we spell them different;y.

In spite of all the English place names in CT (e.g., New Haven, New London, Hartford, Essex, Oxford, East Hampton -- which is west of Hampton - - -), Connecticut is a name derived from the American Indians. (I can say that un-PC term, as I have Indian ancestry to go along with the English, Scot, Welsh, etc.)

Not to mention Glastonbury, Windsor, Manchester, Coventry, Weathersfield, Norwich, Portland, Avon, Canterbury, Plymoth, Hampton , Norfork, Haddam and I could go on and on, all in Connecticut.

I can't believe this thread is still going on (and on, and on) :rolleyes:

Good game last night, wasn't it? :) One more to go!!! Last year we were on the QM2 at this time and coverage of the Final Four wasn't very good, but it really didn't matter last year. This year it would.

Did you watch?

Gail

I can't believe this thread is still going on (and on, and on) :rolleyes:

That's because I know how to throw a good party.

And while y'all are enjoying one another's company, I'm constantly running around with the eats and the booze . . . bad news, the caviar and pate are gone and I'm out of cognac . . . but, I just ran a couple cans of peas thru the blender and nuked some chicken livers; they will be ready presently.

PS: started the coffee for those who are sailing their own rigs . . .

PPS: Lancaster County, PA may have more British place names than whole state of Connecticut . . . except, we don't have any that end in

S-E-X . . . they really were puritans, weren't they?

And while y'all are enjoying one another's company, I'm constantly running around with the eats and the booze . . . bad news, the caviar and pate are gone and I'm out of cognac . . . but, I just ran a couple cans of peas thru the blender and nuked some chicken livers; they will be ready presently.

Some threads last, but only those with the best people having the best parties.:cool:

Some threads last, but only those with the best people having the best parties.:cool:

Exactly . . . I tried to throw a party on HAL and it was a dud. Perhaps one of the Brits (namely, Gari) should go to the HAL board and ask whether a Brit would feel welcome on the Prinsendam (since, that is the ship that I have my sights on). We could then move the party there and Gari can be the host.

In spite of all the English place names in CT (e.g., New Haven, New London, Hartford, Essex, Oxford, East Hampton -- which is west of Hampton - - -), Connecticut is a name derived from the American Indians. (I can say that un-PC term, as I ha

ve Indian ancestry to go along with the English, Scot, Welsh, etc.)

Not to mention Glastonbury, Windsor, Manchester, Coventry, Weathersfield, Norwich, Portland, Avon, Canterbury, Plymoth, Hampton , Norfork, Haddam and I could go on and on, all in Connecticut.

Cor! makes you quite nostalgic for Mrs Scroggins geography class in form 6. All that's missing are some fascinating facts about the Paris basin and the adabatic air flow in the Pyrenees.

Gari

Good game last night, wasn't it? :) One more to go!!! Last year we were on the QM2 at this time and coverage of the Final Four wasn't very good, but it really didn't matter last year. This year it would.

Did you watch?

Gail

Watched the first half live, second half on tape. Will watch the championship as well.

PPS: Lancaster County, PA may have more British place names than whole state of Connecticut . . . except, we don't have any that end in

S-E-X . . . they really were puritans, weren't they?

So how do you explain the town of Intercourse, PA?

Cor! makes you quite nostalgic for Mrs Scroggins geography class in form 6. All that's missing are some fascinating facts about the Paris basin and the adabatic air flow in the Pyrenees.

Gari

Is that why you Brits know more about geography than the average Yank? :confused:

Gari

One of my favorite songs of all time was Rolf Harris' "I've Been Everywhere, Man" the British version. Some more of your British towns are mentioned.

I've been to Esmond, Redmond, Clarkspare, Malden

Sittingbourne, ----, ----, Oldham

Bolton, Folton, Subalton, Highgate

Boreham, Shoreham, Blandford Forum, Reigate

Manston, Fanston, Wincanton, Isles of Scilly

Spalding, Yalding, Piccadilly, I've been silly

CHORUS

Well what about goin' to ....

I've been to Breekin, Reekin, Clampton, Northamberly

Northampton, Grampton, Wolverhampton, Camberley

----, ----, ----, Hexham

Nottingham, Droitwich, Ipswich, Wrexham

Colchester, Leicester, Chester, Merton

Aldeborough, Marlborough, Burton, (I've been there!)

CHORUS

Have you ever been to ....

I've been to Brockley, Ockley, Hockley, Llanelli

Henley, Frenley, Franley, ----

Guildford, Ilford, New Milford, Inverary

Leith, Neath, Haywards Heath, Tipperary

Seaton, Heaton, Nuneaton, Bookham

Stratford, Catford, Cookham, that shook 'em

CHORUS

Um ....

I've been to Braunton, Taunton, Saunton, Mulligan

Lister, ----, Cirencester, Hull again

Crawley, Horley, Fawley, Billingham

Dawlston, Haulston, Kingston, Gillingham

Bury, Londonderry, Broadberry, Ickenham

Barrow, Harrow, Twickenham, I'm sick of 'em

I been here, there, everywhere

I been everywhere

Do you recognize all of them?

So how do you explain the town of Intercourse, PA?

ehr...um...hmmm...uhm...uh...ahem, well, it was originally called Cross Keys; and then we had this influx of aliens from the Germanic tribes and then you know what happens . . . the Germans have a hard time catching on to things, don't they?

Here, have some pate de poulet en croute avec les mashed peas . . . need a refill?

Is that why you Brits know more about geography than the average Yank? :confused:

No, it's because they used to own most of it!!

But, you know how it is, even as benevolent and well intentioned as they were bringing civilization & Christianity to heathen people, the natives tended to resent what they viewed as British domination and exploitation. Go figure, anyway today the sun has no trouble setting on what's left of the empire.:)

Archived