Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

In Norfolk they take you for everything you've got.

Gari

Well, I ain't got much, but they're welcome to it, just as long as I can see it in person. Perhaps Sir Martin will invite me to stay with him--I'd just love that!!!

Gavin, I fear you have been seriously misled. According to Sir Martin, Norfolk is a land of soaring mountains and great, deep glacially scoured valleys. There is apparently wonderful skiing to be had, both on and off piste, and the rock climbing, mountain walking and para-gliding opportunities are without equal in the UK. I've seen Sir M's brochure and am thinking of dropping next year's cruise in favour of a stay in his luxury mountain resort in the Sierra Bungay. A snip, apparently, at only £5,999.99 (US$1.95) per night (self catering).

J

I must of missed that part :eek: of course do not forget the stunning coastline, including Crommer, Hunstanton and a visit to "Roy`s" of Roxton is a must :D

Gav :cool:

Although I might get flamed for being a "dweeb" ;), I think it's 72 virgins. Course I make typos all the time (looks for flame proof suit).

Sorry lurker, but I'm a man of maturity, so it's been decades since I've been confronted with this situation, and even then it might have been subject to interpretation!:)

Gavin, I fear you have been seriously misled. According to Sir Martin, Norfolk is a land of soaring mountains and great, deep glacially scoured valleys. There is apparently wonderful skiing to be had, both on and off piste, and the rock climbing, mountain walking and para-gliding opportunities are without equal in the UK. I've seen Sir M's brochure and am thinking of dropping next year's cruise in favour of a stay in his luxury mountain resort in the Sierra Bungay. A snip, apparently, at only £5,999.99 (US$1.95) per night (self catering). J

And to think that I have been wasting my time and squandering my money foolishly in the Colorado Rockies or touring Norway when I could have been enjoying the scenic wonders of Norfolk at a fraction of the cost (US of course)! I'm sure that Sir M's version of Faulty Towers is well suited to the discriminating traveler.

Getting back to the spirit of the original question about Americans being welcomed on the QM2:

Has anyone had any problems with the fact we speak two different versions of English? ;)

Example, Potato Chips in England are what we call French Fries; whereas our Chips are in the UK Potato Crisps. And that's an easy one.

Based on our many experiences with our cousins on the other side of the Pond, we've experienced many amusing and sometimes embarassing examples.

The Humor I get: driving UK friends through an Historical District with houses from the early 1700's:

"New Housing Estate, I see" is the comment. :)

The language? After reading Gari's posts, If I'm ever in Yorkshire I'll need a translator. :D

Getting back to the spirit of the original question about Americans being welcomed on the QM2:

Has anyone had any problems with the fact we speak two different versions of English? ;)

Example, Potato Chips in England are what we call French Fries; whereas our Chips are in the UK Potato Crisps. And that's an easy one.

Based on our many experiences with our cousins on the other side of the Pond, we've experienced many amusing and sometimes embarassing examples.

The Humor I get: driving UK friends through an Historical District with houses from the early 1700's:

"New Housing Estate, I see" is the comment. :)

The language? After reading Gari's posts, If I'm ever in Yorkshire I'll need a translator. :D

But Gari is his alias. His real name is Grizzly and he really speaks biker lingo. Don't let him put you on with all that Yorkshire dribble. It's all an act!!!:)

But Gari is his alias. His real name is Grizzly and he really speaks biker lingo. Don't let him put you on with all that Yorkshire dribble. It's all an act!!!:)

Nope, I take him at his word, at least those I understand. :cool:

] Getting back to the spirit of the original question about Americans being welcomed on the QM2:[/color]

On our QE2 crossing April08, our table of three couples - one American, one Canadian, one Scottish but longtime residents of England - had prolonged discussions of the differences among the breakfast bacon selections: Canadian, British, American, etc., etc. All in good fun :)

Has anyone had any problems with the fact we speak two different versions of English?

I think this has been addressed as, "Two peoples separated by a common language" - George Bernard Shaw about the English and Americans.

Which was easy enough for him to say, as I believe him to have been Irish.

On our QE2 crossing April08, our table of three couples - one American, one Canadian, one Scottish but longtime residents of England - had prolonged discussions of the differences among the breakfast bacon selections: Canadian, British, American, etc., etc. All in good fun :)

It is fun to explore other cultures especially on a cruise whether in port or on board with table mates. Once you get past the brogue, there are a lot of interesting differences much like on this thread.

I myself have come cheek to jowl with a foreign culture recently that I'm trying my very best to understand, they of course are the liberals! All in good fun of course!:)

I myself have come cheek to jowl with a foreign culture recently that I'm trying my very best to understand, they of course are the liberals! All in good fun of course!:)

And the rest of the country is still trying to understand Texas. :D

Hard to tell; probably about 1/16th, mixed in with the English, Welsh, Irish, Dutch, German and Cherokee. :cool:

1/16th eh. Well sir I am pleased to inform you that your are fully entitled to wear the kilt when you go for your dinner on a boat. Don't bother with the wee knifey thing down the sock, they provide a clean knife on the table for each meal.

Of course as you are 1/16th Cherokee also, you are equally entitled to wear buckskin, feathers and carry a small hatchet. Then there is the question of Lederhosen, a Dutch cap and clogs, a shillalegh, a miners lamp and a rolled up umbrella and bowler hat. Tricky choices Lurker me old son, tricky choices. The problem with the kilt of course is that you need to know what YOUR family tartan is. This could involve lots of time spent in research and genealogical tables etc. However there is a much quicker way of establishing the clan to which you belong.

How to find YOUR official tartan.

Simply enter any kilt selling shop in Scotland from the grubbiest, cheapest, hole-in-the-wall - one-size-fits-all - here today-gone tomorrow - boil-in-the-bag - free-ginger-wig-with-every-purchase - tiniest-tackiest-tartan-tourist-trap, to the ultra-smooth - sine qua non - Morningside-accented - Alisdair-(with a ‘d’) - by royal appointment to the monarchs of the glen – haute couture-par excellence-bespoke-kiltmakers to the crowned heads of Europe- emporium, (Est.1705). Give them your name which may be a foot long, devoid of any vowels and containing more x, y q’s,and zeds than an optician’s test chart or alternatively tell them that you are ‘Bubba from Buttscratch, USA'. The wee manny behind the counter will beetle swiftly away to do an exhaustive search of their archives, return 12.4 seconds later with (skirl o’ the pipes, roll o’ the drums) YOUR family tartan. American Express? Certainly Sir. That’ll do Nicely. Have a nice day.

Dinna forget your ginger wig Sir, hours of fun for all the family.

Enjoy!

Gari

1/16th eh. Well sir I am pleased to inform you that your are fully entitled to wear the kilt when you go for your dinner on a boat. Don't bother with the wee knifey thing down the sock, they provide a clean knife on the table for each meal.

Of course as you are 1/16th Cherokee also, you are equally entitled to wear buckskin, feathers and carry a small hatchet. Then there is the question of Lederhosen, a Dutch cap and clogs, a shillalegh, a miners lamp and a rolled up umbrella and bowler hat. Tricky choices Lurker me old son, tricky choices. The problem with the kilt of course is that you need to know what YOUR family tartan is. This could involve lots of time spent in research and genealogical tables etc. However there is a much quicker way of establishing the clan to which you belong.

How to find YOUR official tartan.

Simply enter any kilt selling shop in Scotland from the grubbiest, cheapest, hole-in-the-wall - one-size-fits-all - here today-gone tomorrow - boil-in-the-bag - free-ginger-wig-with-every-purchase - tiniest-tackiest-tartan-tourist-trap, to the ultra-smooth - sine qua non - Morningside-accented - Alisdair-(with a ‘d’) - by royal appointment to the monarchs of the glen – haute couture-par excellence-bespoke-kiltmakers to the crowned heads of Europe- emporium, (Est.1705). Give them your name which may be a foot long, devoid of any vowels and containing more x, y q’s,and zeds than an optician’s test chart or alternatively tell them that you are ‘Bubba from Buttscratch, USA'. The wee manny behind the counter will beetle swiftly away to do an exhaustive search of their archives, return 12.4 seconds later with (skirl o’ the pipes, roll o’ the drums) YOUR family tartan. American Express? Certainly Sir. That’ll do Nicely. Have a nice day.

Dinna forget your ginger wig Sir, hours of fun for all the family.

Enjoy!

Gari

rotfl -- I had to read that 3 times.

But I do have a clue to my tartan, as my middle name is Stuart . . .

I do have fun whenever I run into someone who claims they had an ancestor on the Mayflower. I simply inform them I had ancestors who were already here . . . (tip of the hat to Will Rogers)

and on the nights you don't want to wear the kilt- you can have a Royal Stuart/Stewart bow tie and cummerbund! How dashing :D

Is that with the Lederhosen and Dutch cap or the Bowler hat and clogs?

Gari

And the rest of the country is still trying to understand Texas. :D

We would love to just hunker down and be ignored for the next four years clinging to our guns and bibles, but they won't leave us alone. Their latest bright idea is to give amnesty to millions of illegal aliens which in essence is giving us back to Mexico, we'll be a hispanic majority by 2020.

I'm sure our socialized friends across the pond are having to press 1 for English, 2 for Gallic, 3 for Paki, so I guess I should get used to it.:mad:

No reflection on you Lurker, but everyone I ever met that was part Indian was part Cherokee.:)

Of course the Cherokee were considered the civilized people, so I guess socially they did get around. Even our great Texas hero Sam Houston spent a year living with them. So who knows, you might be part Texan.:D

You never hear of someone being part Comanche or Apache or Kiowa or how that might have happened, "My great grandfather killed and scalped your great grandfather, raped your great grandmother and burned down the ranch!" Or perhaps it wasn't the same in your part of the country? Because of these and a few other cultural differences, there are very few Indians in Texas.

Nothing like a good rant in the afternoon!:D

By the way Gari, can this be handled on-line, can I authenticate myself long distance, drink a little scotch play one of the 47 dirges and order up the family tartan?

"My great grandfather killed and scalped your great grandfather, raped your great grandmother and burned down the ranch!"

Nothing like a good rant in the afternoon!:D

Bit like the Reincarnationists, they were always an Egyptian King/Princess

or Marie Antoinette or Bonnie Prince Charlie. No-one ws ever a refuse collector in a previous life or a 16thC. penny a pop hooker.

By the way Gari, can this be handled on-line, can I authenticate myself long distance, drink a little scotch play one of the 47 dirges and order up the family tartan?

Sure can Tex, but with a name like Curry I'm not convinced you'll get what you expect.

Gari

Archived