Northern tours of Alaska/Ketchikan

macnife

Hi,

We are interested in the Wildlife Saxman Deluxe tour with Northern Tours of Alaska. Has anyone done this tour? Is is worth the $47pp? They also offer a Totem Bight tour that is a little less pp. The pictures on their website make the Wildlife tour look more interesting. Hoping to get someone who has actually done the tour to comment. Thanks!

Not sure what they offer, but "wildlife" in Ketchikan is rare, if the photos are of bears. You need fly ins for those and in season. Eagles are all over Alaska, so no tour necessary in my opinion.

The pictures showed eagles, whales, bears, beaver. Looks like they drive you to Saxman village, Herring bay black bear area. When I emailed them for info, they did say they also go by the Rainbow waterfall.

Northern Tours offers the "budget" tours. They have nice pictures but what you see and what you get are 2 different things. It's not a bad tour but they hype it way too much.

It's kind of like riding on the city bus but without having to stop and pick people up.

Northern Tours offers the "budget" tours. They have nice pictures but what you see and what you get are 2 different things. It's not a bad tour but they hype it way too much.

It's kind of like riding on the city bus but without having to stop and pick people up.

And wouldn't you agree, that the "wildlife" photos are from the entire season, of a few lucky times- and most trips see eagles and that's it?? Eagles are everywhere without a "tour" in my opinion, if you just take the time to look. :)

I agree that the tour is like a city bus tour without picking people up. Only folks who book their tour with the cruise ship have access to the native carving shed, the clan house and get to see the native dancers. The independent tours just drive you to the totem poles for a photo stop. You will not see black bear close to town in Ketchikan. Our experience with bears is you can see them in the Herring Bay area only at dawn & dusk and then when the salmon are running (so there is food for them). In Ketchikan if you stay on the road system you are really only guaranteed to see eagles, and salmon in the creeks if it is spawning time. If you want to really see bears you need to take a flight to bear areas. And "Rainbow Falls" is a pretty but small falls that are on the side of the road out by Herring Cove. If you want a narrated basic bus ride this might be the tour for you. If you want to spend some time experiencing the native culture or searching for wildlife then book a tour from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, still thinking about this tour, since nothing else is popping out at me. We want some guided tour, that gives us a narrative or history of what we are seeing, instead of going on our own. There will be 6 of us on the tour. Northern Tours offers a Saxman Native village tour which includes: ($35)

Saxman Native Village

Totem Poles - Clan House - Carving Shed

Village Store - Authentic Native Crafts - Artwork

Walk in the Tongass National Rainforest

See Eagle's nests

Historic Red Light District at Creek Street

Historic Ketchikan and it's Harbors

Dolly's House

and also offers the Wildlife Saxman Deluxe Combo tour which includes: ($42)

Saxman Native Village

29 Totem Poles - Clan House - Carving Shed

Herring Bay Black Bear area

See Eagle's nests

Dolly's House

Is seeing Herring Bay area worth the additional cost over walking in the Tongrass National Forest. That seems to be the only difference in these two tours.

OK, still thinking about this tour, since nothing else is popping out at me. We want some guided tour, that gives us a narrative or history of what we are seeing, instead of going on our own. There will be 6 of us on the tour. Northern Tours offers a Saxman Native village tour which includes: ($35)

Saxman Native Village

See Eagle's nests

Dolly's House

Saxman Native Village

See Eagle's nests

Dolly's House

Is seeing Herring Bay area worth the additional cost over walking in the Tongrass National Forest. That seems to be the only difference in these two tours.

It's a tiny bay with a hatchery, that is nonaccessable to the public. In my opinion, no, it's not worth the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Saxman Native Village

See Eagle's nests

Dolly's House

Saxman Native Village

See Eagle's nests

Dolly's House

Great question.

It's an okay tour. Just don't expect too much. If I was on a budget and had a big group I'd take them on it. It would be much better than wasting hours away in the jewelry stores at the cruise ship dock.

I too am curious about the Ketchikan tours- have looked at Northern as well as Sourdough. With limited time in port do you think these give a pretty good overview? Don't want to be wasting time deciding on the dock when we arrive so want to get something booked ahead. I realize that spotting wildlife is luck of the draw, but a short guided tour is usually fun. Would value your opinions Budget Queen and bearbait -thanks :)

I too am curious about the Ketchikan tours- have looked at Northern as well as Sourdough. With limited time in port do you think these give a pretty good overview? Don't want to be wasting time deciding on the dock when we arrive so want to get something booked ahead. I realize that spotting wildlife is luck of the draw, but a short guided tour is usually fun. Would value your opinions Budget Queen and bearbait -thanks :)

I, too, would like to hear what BQ and BB thoughts are on this topic.

I booked the saxman village/herron bay/waterfall/... tour with sourdough the original tour was two hours, since there are 14 of us we were able to book the mini bus just for us and extend the tour to three hours so we weren't so rushed. the cost is 60pp I didn't think this was too bad, gives us something to do, not really interested in shopping and no one but me wanted to do the flight seeing.so is this not worth the money?

loraine

Archived