Weather in August

kcbmarek

So we are heading to the Mexican Riviera in August for the first time. What type of weather should we plan for (stops in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mazatlan).

TIA!

Kim

Kim, ya don't have any information in your profile to indicate your home location. Weather is all relative to what you are used to having.

If you have ever been to the Gulf coast in mid-summer ... think Gulfport, Mississippi. For us folks that come from the frozen wastelands up north, it's HOT, HUMID and has the occassional threat of a hurricane! There is a reason why only one cruise ship operates on the Mexican Riviera during the summer months.

Then again, if you live in that climate all the time, it's just another normal day in a different place.

On a more serious note ... historical weather data for August 2008 can be found at: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MMPR/2008/8/1/MonthlyHistory.html

Enjoy!

If you have ever been to the Gulf coast in mid-summer ... think Gulfport, Mississippi. For us folks that come from the frozen wastelands up north, it's HOT, HUMID and has the occassional threat of a hurricane! There is a reason why only one cruise ship operates on the Mexican Riviera during the summer months.

Which one is "the one"? Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean operate year round cruises to the Mexican Riviera. For Carnival it was the Pride, now the Splendor. For Royal Caribbean it was the Vision, now the Mariner.

Both leave on Sunday. Carnival from Long Beach and Royal Caribbean from San Pedro (the two are only a few miles apart). Carnival spends two days at sea, then goes to PV, Mazaltan and Cabo. Then one day at sea getting back home.

Royal Caribbean spends one day at sea, then goes to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. Then spends two days at sea returning home.

There is a reason why only one cruise ship operates on the Mexican Riviera during the summer months.

Enjoy!

Unusual error for you. That's a surprise.

RCCL Mariner Of the Seas and Carnival Splendor both work the Mexican Riviera during the summer. Before them (they're new to the left coast), I'm pretty sure it was RCCL Vision and Carnival Pride that both worked the summer months.

But you are right, the rest of the gang; Princess, HAL, NCL plus additional ships from Carnival and RCCL hang out in Alaska during the summer.

Regardless. Cabo: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and dry) - Mazatlan: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and not sure) - Puerto Vallarta: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and humid).

Still, a cold adult beverage, some shade, the sand, the ocean view, and it is still hard to beat. Not so much fun walking around mid-day however. Even bringing an umbrella to make your own shade is not a bad idea when walking around.

Huh! We only thought Cabo was that way in September during the shoulder (rainy season). Always something new to learn. We never do June, July, August for our timeshare at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Did September our first year down To Cabo for a week at Pueblo Bonito Blanco.

Curious though Sandy, does Solmar Beach get a cooling Pacific breeze during those months. Just wondering since Sunset Beach faces the same way.

Huh! We only thought Cabo was that way in September during the shoulder (rainy season). Always something new to learn. We never do June, July, August for our timeshare at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Did September our first year down To Cabo for a week at Pueblo Bonito Blanco.

Curious though Sandy, does Solmar Beach get a cooling Pacific breeze during those months. Just wondering since Sunset Beach faces the same way.

Cabo was hot and humid in mid October 2005.

Unusual error for you. That's a surprise.

RCCL Mariner Of the Seas and Carnival Splendor both work the Mexican Riviera during the summer. Before them (they're new to the left coast), I'm pretty sure it was RCCL Vision and Carnival Pride that both worked the summer months.

But you are right, the rest of the gang; Princess, HAL, NCL plus additional ships from Carnival and RCCL hang out in Alaska during the summer.

Regardless. Cabo: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and dry) - Mazatlan: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and not sure) - Puerto Vallarta: HOT! HOT! HOT! (and humid).

Still, a cold adult beverage, some shade, the sand, the ocean view, and it is still hard to beat. Not so much fun walking around mid-day however. Even bringing an umbrella to make your own shade is not a bad idea when walking around.

Seems there are also a few more ships that make Vallarta a port-o-call in the summer. The Vallarta port schedules shows:

MARINER OF THE SEAS (RCCL), OCEAN STAR PACIFIC (OCEAN), PACIFIC DREAMS (PULLMAN) and CARNIVAL SPLENDOR (CARNIVAL)

And here I thought Pride was the only ship that sailed these steamy water during the dog days of summer. Any day you learn something new is a good day. [and I just finished booking Coral for March 2010]

And here I thought Pride was the only ship that sailed these steamy water during the dog days of summer. Any day you learn something new is a good day. [and I just finished booking Coral for March 2010]
The Splendor is replacing the Pride.

Yes, it's much better on the Pacific side because of that breeze. August and September are the hottest and most humid months and sometimes into October. We usually go toward the end of October when it is finally starting to cool down and be less humid. You couldn't pay me to go in August or September- once was enough and it was miserable! Last year we had to miss October but everyone I knew that was down there then said it was the worst October in years. I guess you just never know. We will be there from 10/10-10/24 this year so I hope we have nice breezes! We stay at the Rose 1 week so not as breezy there but we will spend most of the time in the water anyway!

Solmar does get a breeze off the Pacific, but I would say "cooling" only in the morning and evening. Not bad for eating breakfast or dinner outside by the pool, but you sure need the A/C purring away all night to sleep in comfort. That Pacific side is dangerous for swimming; stick to the pools:)

You cannot swim on the Pacific side in Cabo because of the very dangerous undertow and huge surf. People die there almost every year because they think it's ok to ignore the warning signs. You are not allowed to even walk near the surf there. A man got swept away and died just walking along the surf when a huge wave came and pulled him out to sea a few years ago when we were there. I think 3 people died last year.

You cannot swim on the Pacific side in Cabo because of the very dangerous undertow and huge surf. People die there almost every year because they think it's ok to ignore the warning signs. You are not allowed to even walk near the surf there. A man got swept away and died just walking along the surf when a huge wave came and pulled him out to sea a few years ago when we were there. I think 3 people died last year.
Okay, then you must be referring to outside the harbor, because they not only allow swimming near the beach inside the harbor, they have a section roped off for swimming.

Okay, then you must be referring to outside the harbor, because they not only allow swimming near the beach inside the harbor, they have a section roped off for swimming.

Medano Beach is the area that you are referring to, and yes, swimming is generally allowed there. They do have to occasionally post flags when it is dangerous to go in the water but for the most part, swimming is fine at Medano Beach.

A short geography lesson follows.

There is a deep canyon (trench) that runs along the Pacific Coast starting in Alaska and continuing as far as Puerto Vallerta (perhaps even farther). At some points, this canyon gets very close to land. Guess where one of those is. Yep, Cabo San Lucas. The darn thing even bends around baja and heads up the Sea of Cortez.

Now. The whales happen to love this. It's kind of their superhighway with lots of munchies along the way.

The trench and the Los Cabos area (Cabo San Lucas north to San Jose del Cabo). The trench is right off shore. By right off shore, I mean RIGHT OFF SHORE. The continental shelf extends, oh about 10 feet in some cases. What this means. The waves to not start forming 100 feet out from the beach, they start 10 feet from the beach. At times this presents spectacular crashing waves with virtually no advance notice. Guess why you should not walk along the waters edge at Sol Mar Beach or Sunset Beach.

Rip Tides/Currents. Very dangerous along the Pacific Side and also the Sea of Cortez as well (in most places). Remember what you learned about rip currents. Don't fight them, just float along moving slowly towards shore until you can touch the ground and walk out of the water. Remember the canyon? There is no place to just put your feet down and then just walk ashore.

As you move further north up the Baja coastline, the canyon moves away and there are great beaches to surf, swim, & play. Areas north, near Todos Santos on the Pacific side and also north of San Jose del Cabo on the Sea Of Cortez side. There are a few protected (swimming) areas that some resorts between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas have created, but they are fairly small.

My fingers are tired so this is the end of the geography lesson.

Have a great time in Cabo!

That is not on the Pacific ocean side of Cabo, that is Medano beach which is on the Sea of Cortez. Cabo is at the end of the Baja penninsula with the Pacific on one side and the Sea of Cortez on the other. The very tip of the peninsula is where the arch and Land's End is located.

Archived