Driving Advice

travelteach326

This will be our firsst visit to Hawaii and we will rent cars on different islands.

Has anyone had any problems or run into any problems while driving on any of the Islands? Speeding tickets? Speed traps?

I was reading another travel advice forum and someone had offered some great advice for driving in Hawaii. Here is the advice that I "borrowed":

Kauai advice:

There are only two lane highways and the speed limit is 50 mph.

When you come to an intersection, the speed limits will drop as you approach the intersection. You will have the right of way...but we do have several fatal wrecks at these places. Be careful.

When driving in school zones be sure you drive at 15mph.

the KPD will set up major, major radar traps, and you will be paying a $ 300.00 fine. No kidding...so do watch for any school zone diamond shaped signs.

Safety, and DUI road blocks, can be anywhere, and if you are over the limit, you will get to tour the local bastille.

Radar traps all in several places, so, it is best to go the speed limit and always stay alert for anything, not just the KPD.

And, totally agree, the speed limits do change very quickly. The are well marked, just pay attention and drive the speed limit.

Other things you will see while driving, and some that we have witnessed.

1. Local cars and pickups, following very close on your bumper. Nothing personal, it is just a fact.

2. Locals flat running stop signs is a very, very constant practice. So, be prepared.

3. Cars and pick ups, including those with lift kits, driving over the center line, and lots of near misses, and also fatal colissions.

4. Impaired driving: just a fact...you will see this, if you are somewhat coherant and paying a little attention....

5. Really bad situation, with vehicles weaving from the far right and nipping the bushes, to yanking back the oposite direction, over the center line, and whipping back again to the right.

6. The Great Pig escape: On the coastal highway, farm pigs were crowded into a small low railed wooden trailer....maybe off to the pig house of whack.

One fat pink porker, jumped over the side of the wooden rail, hit the pavement, and began spinning and spinning like a top. Big time, around , and around, directly in front of us...we stopped.

7. Night driving and jacked up pick ups. On your six at night, with their headlights totally illuminating the interior of you vehicle...and only a few feet from you bumper. Your night vision is in the tank, especially on a rainy night.

8. Same with them , when they are the on coming traffic.

9. Driving with aloha: Drivers here let people into traffic, they are not worried about saving their place in line in a slow whoa situation like other places, including Oahu.

They will let you merge, enter traffic from side streets, and they stop for pedestrians. All the time....so traffic may not move quite fast enough, as someone is letting another into traffic. Standard stuff....stay alert or.....ooooops..screech..wham, bend, fold, and ouch.

Now , can you survive driving on Kauai ? Certainly, but now you are forwarned, and have not just arrived , without a clue one.

There you have...the scoops you will not find in many of the guidebooks.

Oh, one more thing...stay alert for potholes, as some are pretty deep, and that can result in bent rims and blown tires, or possibly worse.

It seems like we are in for an experience!

We rented cars on all 4 main islands, and actually saw no difference than driving on the mainland. Driving the speed limit is common sense, and following other laws is common sense. There is more Aloha spirit on the one lane roads and one-lane bridges - and therefore they weren't a problem either. Enjoy!

Driving here on the Big Island is easy. Just obey the speed limit and pay attention even though you will be gawking at the beautiful scenery. There are some very narrow winding roads....stay alert and stay on your side of the road.

The majority of "police cars" are the officers personal vehicles with a little blue light stuck on top. The island is just starting to get a few marked cars...actually SUV's.

Now and then the officers will be out in force checking seat belts, so buckle up.

There are many uninsured drivers, so drive carefully.

Drive with Aloha and have fun!

We rented cars on all 4 islands last week also. Best advice I can give is to stay alert and prepare a lot of extra driving time in your schedule, because some speed limits may be 55 but the people in front of you may be going 30 and there is no passing lane in a lot of spots. We rarely were going over 35 in most places.

We rented cars an four of the islands and Ihave the same thoughts as above. No difference driving there than in the states. Did not run into any rude drivers, potholes or any other problems. Ok, we did have one problem, I got pulled over for speeding. Yes it was and unmarked personal vehicle with a single blue light. He was a very nice officer and he let me go with nothing more than a warning, didn't even check license or insurance. Don't sweat it, go and have fun.

I rented cars on the islands too and never had any trouble. I just go with the flow.

I just got home from Hawaii and one tourist told us of his adventures with renting a car on Oahu. This tourist gave a local driver the bird. :eek: He said he will never, ever, do that on the islands again. They were followed, cornered and confronted by that local driver and finally had to call 911.

I told him next time if he wants to do anything with his hands while driving perhaps just the hang loose sign might be best. ;)

And, one more thing....do NOT use your horn. It is considered as rude as "the bird" and will get a reaction for sure. Being orginally from New York, this was a hard one for me to get used to!

And, one more thing....do NOT use your horn. It is considered as rude as "the bird" and will get a reaction for sure. Being orginally from New York, this was a hard one for me to get used to!

I don't use a horn as a rule but have heard its helpful on blind curves. In the caribbean, they definitely warn oncoming drivers on the curves. Is this not the case in Hawaii?

Yes it is ok to use horn on blind turns. I don't remember the road we were on but it had many many switch backs that you had no chance of seeing around and it was only a one lane road. After encountering a few of them and hearing horns blow(commimg from cars driving in oposite direction) we learned it is the norm in that situation. Also when I was caught for speeding it was one of those places where the speed limit went from 50 to 30 nearing an intersection. I must have been looking around to much to see the signs.

I was pulled over once on the Big Island (actually, he was by the side of the road and waved me over) coming down from the volcano to Hilo - I didn't see the speed drop from 55 to 45 near Mtn View and apologized, explained I was up all night watching the volcano erupt (this was 1986). He gave me a warning and was very friendly about it. So just like everywhere, police in HI can be cool.

If anything, folks drive slower in Hawaii. So roll down the window and relax. Expect to take 33% longer to drive anywhere and you'll be happy.

One modest irk - someone above mentioned that driving in Hawaii was just like "in the States." Hawaii is a state. The better way to say it is "back on the mainland."

The one thing I'd add here is that if you're not comfortable driving mountain roads and/or aren't competent to do it, then don't. Some of the roads there are little, twisty, two lane roads that might really be intimidating to somebody who comes from a flat area of the country. Thirty years ago, I moved from Indiana - pretty daggone flat mostly - to California which has the whole spectrum. It took me a bit to get used to driving in the mountains, but it doesn't bother me now.

Archived