Ever disembark at an early port?

I've booked a TA going to Rome in 2010. The day before pulling into the port for Rome, we will be in Livorna, where we could easily get a train for a post-cruise visit to Florence and Venice.

So, has anyone ever disembarked their cruise on a day other than the last day of the cruise? Were there any hassles? Does this need to be arranged before embarking? Any info would be appreciated.

I've booked a TA going to Rome in 2010. The day before pulling into the port for Rome, we will be in Livorna, where we could easily get a train for a post-cruise visit to Florence and Venice.

So, has anyone ever disembarked their cruise on a day other than the last day of the cruise? Were there any hassles? Does this need to be arranged before embarking? Any info would be appreciated.

Not done it personally, but you should arrange it with the cruiseline. Also, apparently, they can't help you take the luggage off the ship. From the top of the gangway its your responsibility. Probably due to the rules re longshoremen.

On our 2006 , 17 Day panama Cruise, we stopped in San Francisco before continuing unto Seattle and a few were taking their luggage off. We assumed they were home or almost and didn't see the sense of going to Seattle then trying to get home again.Initially, we were going to stop in Los Angelas where we chose to disembark, but they canceled, making the cruise a full 17 days, so we rode the ship to Seattle, for an extra $175. It worked out for us as we had a direct flight home from Seattle to our home in So calif.

Just remembered. A few years ago, we rang RCCL to ask permission to disembark in Malaga (before Barcelona). Refused!!

When we arrived in Malaga, we met couples with luggage disembarking. One man said "hey, its not a prison ship, if I want to get off, I will"!!

We were furious!!

A lot of my customers are senior citizens and one told me they use to arrange cruise/exclusive land vacations at one time. Sounded fun, they would take a cruise ship to St Bart, get off, stay at a resort for a week, then rejoin the same itinerary a week later. Sounds like fun.

Archived