Tortuga rum and other shops

m steve

If I'm understanding correctly, you're doing a week-long on-island stay, not a cruise ship one day stop?

If you're staying on the island, if you try to buy alcohol in any of the duty free stores near the port you won't pay the duty free prices. :( They have to send it to the ship for you to get the cheaper prices. (Yup, I've tried.)

You can, however, buy duty free in the airport on your way home from the island. There's a couple of different duty free shops in the Cayman airport, so there's a pretty good selection.

And if you are coming for a week long stay on-island, you might want to take advantage of your duty free exemption for your flight to Cayman. Each adult may bring in one liter of distilled spirits into Cayman duty free.

Make your purchase at your international gateway airport (Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, or wherever) and they will meet you on the jetway to give you your purchase.

When returning home remember the liquids rule. Once you arrive at your first airport in the States you will need to repack your duty free purchase and place it in your checked luggage prior to rechecking you bags for your onward flight.

I am an experienced DF liquor shopper. Can you tell me what the cost of a bottle of Tortuga gold is if purchased to drink on the island? also Stoli? Duty free leaving from Orlando is not very cheap. I can pack some that i bought on my last cruise and even have saved the blow up plastic cases, if necessary. Thanks for future info.

Archived