Help!! I'm Nervous.....Hubby Wants To Fly In Day Of!!!

GTO-Girl

Looking to book our first Princess cruise for the first week in November(very excited :D ). We have never sailed Princess, never been to FLL and I have only flown one other time in my life.......so YIKES :eek: I am stressing myself out.

My DH thinks we'll be okay to just fly in the day of considering we're flying non-stop out of Atlanta. We can book an early morning flight leaving Atlanta at 7:30am and arriving about 9:30am, but I'm just all worried about flying in the "day of" .....

Can anyone give me some assurance that we would be okay?

If I were you, I'd ask this on the Cruise Air board. There're people there who seem to me to know everything there is to know about flying, including all the airports. Good luck! :)

Looking to book our first Princess cruise for the first week in November(very excited :D ). We have never sailed Princess, never been to FLL and I have only flown one other time in my life.......so YIKES :eek: I am stressing myself out.

My DH thinks we'll be okay to just fly in the day of considering we're flying non-stop out of Atlanta. We can book an early morning flight leaving Atlanta at 7:30am and arriving about 9:30am, but I'm just all worried about flying in the "day of" .....

Hmmmm... you never know. Your voyage is near the end of hurricane season so that might help, but the weather is anything but predictable. I think the prevailing wisdom (especially from the members of this board :)) would be to fly in the day before. Remember, delays anywhere else could affect your flight.

I'm sure you will get lots of answers supporting both ways. Personally, I probably would prefer flying in the day before, however, since I am unable to leave my job any earlier, I can't fly in until the day of. My flight is a non-stop from pennsylvania arriving in FLL also at 9:30. I'm not uncomfortable with that. I booked the non-stop so i cut down on the risk of lost luggage in changing planes. And I feel that a 9:30 arrival gives me plenty of time to get to the ship before it sails. Port Everglades is only a couple miles from airport. Could something go wrong? Sure; lots of things could go wrong. But we hope for the best. So, my opinion is.... I'm sure you'll be fine.

Flying directly from Atlanta to FLL should not be a problem if you catch an early flight. Get the earliest you can even if you arrive before Princess has people at the airport. As an ex Atlanta resident (Cobb county) be sure to leave before the early morning traffic rush too.

<<Ken>>

Let me quote from my own review of our last cruise:

"Our flight from DC to Fort Lauderdale was an object lesson in why you should always fly in the day before, if you can. The weather was perfect in Washington when we left, and most of the trip was very smooth, until we were suddenly diverted to West Palm Beach because of high winds and storms in Fort Lauderdale. We sat on the ground long enough in West Palm that the storm caught up with us, and held us on the ground there until it blew through. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale two hours late, at a time that would have been uncomfortably close to departure if it had been the same day."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=39294

Instead, we had a relaxing afternoon and evening at our hotel, and a wonderful dinner, and slept in the next morning and even got in some pool time before heading for the ship.

Do yourself a HUGE favor.

Do you enjoy gambling? We've done it twice and so far no glitches. However, that said we will never do it again. It's just not worth the pucker factor. Most cruises leave on Sunday or Monday so it just begs for an extra day of chillin. Whatever you chose, good luck and Bon Voyage!

Flying directly from Atlanta to FLL should not be a problem if you catch an early flight. Get the earliest you can even if you arrive before Princess has people at the airport. As an ex Atlanta resident (Cobb county) be sure to leave before the early morning traffic rush too.

<<Ken>>

We have lived 30 miles east of Atlanta our whole life and I totally agree with you about the traffic......it is HORRIBLE!!!! And that is another huge consideration about getting to the airport.

If we flew in the day before does anyone have a good suggestion for a "reasonable" hotel that would be close to the airport/cruise terminal?

Like I said, I am totally clueless about FLL.....

We had quite some "adventure" several years ago. We flew on the same day. It was a short direct flight too. However, our flight was canceled. We got on a later flight and made it to the cruise; however, our luggage did not make it :( So, if you have to fly on the same day, at least bring a carry-on with some changing clothes.

We have lived 30 miles east of Atlanta our whole life and I totally agree with you about the traffic......it is HORRIBLE!!!! And that is another huge consideration about getting to the airport.

If we flew in the day before does anyone have a good suggestion for a "reasonable" hotel that would be close to the airport/cruise terminal?

Like I said, I am totally clueless about FLL.....

Our choice for the most "reasonable" is the Comfort Inn and Suites Ft Lauderdale Cruise Port. It offers free shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port. It is clean and basic with a good free breakfast buffet. It is in walking distance of a Publix market (think wine, champagne etc.) and our favorite restaurant in Ft Lauderdale, the Southport Raw Bar www.southportrawbar.com . That said these are also in the area of SE 17th st which is near both the airport and cruise port: Embassy Suites, Marriot Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express, and Extended Stay America. They are all on the bus line if you want to head out to the beach as well.

Bon Voyage!

On our first Princess cruise years ago we flew in from Colorado the day before in March. That night there was what they called a blizzard of the century all along the east coast. Many flights were cancelled for the entire day. At least 1/3 of the passengers missed the ship. A few caught up at our first port. I don't think it's worth the stress unless you must fly the day of the cruise because of work.

There is one problem flying in the day of the cruise. Your flight might be arriving from somewhere up north, and could be delayed if there happens to be bad weather there. Remember, you plane doesn't just sit in Atlanta waiting for you, it had to come from somewhere else.

Reason I mention this is it has happened to us several times. The flight you are trying to take doesn't make it to the airport in time and it creates a domino effect for those connecting flights.

Also, keep in mind that the flight times you book won't necessairly be the flight times you fly. Each flight in the last couple of years we have booked have changed departure and arrival times so many times, I have lost count. So if you book an early morning flight, by the time you fly, the schedule could be changed on you. Good luck though!

This is my way of looking at things;

Scenario #1

If you have to fly out the morning of then you have all this stress about getting to the airport on time, getting thru security, overbooked flights (hey it does happen). Then when you get on the other end you have to get your luggage, OOPS then left one of your bags in Atlanta but hey that is OK the Airline will put it on the next flight and it will be here in about 3 hours. Except 3 hours from then you will be on the cruise ship which leaves in 4 hours and there is no way the Airline can get you your bag that quick. All the while you are pulling your hair out.... not a very good way to start your vacation...

Scenario #2

You flight out the day before and are going to stay at a motel that will take you to the Cruise port the morning of your cruise. You have a problem at the airport and you miss your flight (for whatever the reason) but there is another one in 3 hours which you make no problem and guess what your luggage will already be waiting for you because it went on the flight you were suppose to be on. Yes you get there latter than you had planed but you are there and you still have a motel room to sleep in and you are not going to miss your cruise.

Even if you fly out the night before and everything goes perfect you get a nice enjoyable evening with you significant other and none of the stress and you just added another night to your vacation....

I would never fly out the day of a cruise. Hell when my wife and I flew to Hawaii a few years back we flew out of San Francisco and we live in Sacramento ( 90 miles away)but we still drove to San Francisco the night before and started our vacation early.

Just my opinion Brent

I see no problem with flying in day of considering it is so early. You should be fine. But I also agree with Sea Hag and go to the board where all the answers are.... :) Enjoy your cruise!! My next is not until 2010... :(

Just over a year ago my company had a meeting for about 80 people in Atlanta which started at 6:00 the first evening. There was a tremendous rainstorm and more than half of the people were delayed several hours and some arrived the following day. If you're able to go a day early I highly recommend it. Why take any chances if you don't have to?

Enjoy!

We will never ever fly the day of the cruise. We haven't missed a cruise, but I cannot tell you how many times we have flown and been delayed. The last one was on the way home in February from Gunnison, CO skiing. We flew through Dallas and were delayed over 5 hours because one of the exit signs had fallen off in the plane. Give me a break.

Fly into Fort Lauderdale. There is a hotel very close to the port (sorry can't remember what it was--maybe a Hilton) that was right on the intracoastal waterway. We rode the water taxi to Marino's and had a nice meal, turned in early and were ready to go the next morning.

I am originally from Atlanta and by the time you arrive early at the airport, travel and get to the ship, you are going to be exhausted.

Hi GTO-Girl,

We cruised with you last April on the "Mariner of the Seas". It was a great cruise. As for flying in day of, don't do it!!! Too much stress. Really it should be OK, lots of folks do it. I am not one of them though.

Jon,

If you are flying direct (no stops) and it is a short flight, you may be ok. If you have connections, if you are facing a long flight, or if you are flying in an "iffy" weather season; you may want to reconsider.

Our last Med cruise, we flew into Barcelona two days early with stops in Detroit and Amsterdam. Although we did not intend to do so, we spent a night in Amsterdam. Due to a combination of factors our flight was cancelled.

KLM took care of overnight accommodations and a quick call to our TA cancelled our hotel in Barcelona and got us re-booked the following morning (upgraded to business class). We (and our luggage) were in Barcelona the next day -- still one day early.

Forty-three (43!) of our fellow potential plane-mates were not as lucky. They were to have sailed with Celebrity at 4:00pm. While Celebrity had been willing to hold the sailing until 6:00 and provide emergency transporation from the airport to the harbor (to accommodate the original "rescehduled" flight); when the flight was cancelled the cruise went on without them.

KLM was able to get 30 pax on a flight to Nice, and arranged to have these folks bussed to Marcelles and put up overnight. Ten pax were flown to Marcelles the next am and three to Nice to catch up with the cruise on day three of the itinerary :eek:. KLM and Celebrity worked hard to come up with the best accommodation that they could and, unfortunately, that was it. Those pax who had booked their flights through X, got priority.

BTW - when we collected our luggage at Barcelona airport, there was EVERYONE else's. So that when we ran into some of these X pax in Florence several days later, we were not all too surprised to find that many STILL did not have their luggage :eek: :eek: !

I am not going to start a relaxing cruise by flying in the same day again. We did that once, only because we booked air with the cruiseline. Made for a rushed, hectic, and generally stressful day. And that was just a flight from Tulsa to Houston... but of course cruise air had us stopping changing planes in Dallas which didn't help matters any.

I only use Cruise Air if I have to fly on the day of embarkation. It a belief in safety in numbers. You may be OK but its not worth the stress.

Hi There,

We often go by Princess charter who almost always fly in same day but we are flying Scotland, to England , to Miami, or FT L once went via Alanta

have always caught the ship.

However do what you feel good about.

yours Shogun

Archived