London to Edinburgh Help!

I hope that if we show BA that we have an additional flight on to Edinburgh from Heathrow when we check in for our original flight (in Seattle), they will check our luggage through to Edinburgh. I would think that it would be easier to go through Customs and give the luggage back there, than have to go to the BA counter and re-check it for the second part of the flight. (Or am I mistaken in thinking that is how it would work?)

Any clarification on what to expect at Heathrow when connecting on to Edinburgh is appreciated! I'm not sure how much time I need to give myself between flights . . . .

If you show BA in Seattle that you have an onward flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, BA should through-check your bags to Edinburgh whether or not you are on one ticket or two. You must ensure that the connecting time at Heathrow exceeds the published Minimum Connection Time for connections on a single ticket - but you are unlikely to have an issue with that because it's something like 60 minutes.

BA in Seattle may well be able to check you in for Heathrow-Edinburgh and print your boarding pass even if you haven't already done it yourself online at home.

If your bags are through-checked from Seattle to Edinburgh, you will not see them at Heathrow. When you arrive at Heathrow, follow the signs for Flight Connections. This will take you to the immigration/connections hall, where immigration desks for London arrivals are on the left hand side (when your back is to the windows) and the desks for connecting passengers are on the right hand side. (This may involve getting from the satellite terminal to the main terminal using the transit - just follow the signs.)

If you don't already have your onward boarding pass for Heathrow-Edinburgh on a separate ticket, get that at one of the transfer desks at the far right hand side before you go to the Flight Connections desks.

When you get to the Flight Connections desks, your Heathrow-Edinburgh boarding pass will be scanned to ensure that you have enough time to get through the process and on to the gate for your onward flight (35 minutes) - if you don't, you'll be rejected here and sent to the transfer desk to be re-booked. You will also have your photo taken to identify you as a legitimate UK domestic passenger. Then at the next desk, you will clear immigration. Then it's upstairs to clear security, and then you will be at leisure in the shopping/restaurants area until you have to go to your gate.

Domestic flights usually leave from the low-numbered gates on the north side of the main teminal building, so you are unlikely to have to go back to the satellite - and it takes no more than 5 minutes to walk from one end of the main building to the other, so don't panic yourself into going to the gate area any earlier than you need to.

When you get to Edinburgh, you may find that your bags have to be collected at a separate baggage belt from the main reclaim area. IIRC, it's off to the right when your back is to the car rental counters. This is because this is where you clear your bags through customs.

If you book yourself a connection that gives you about two hours at Heathrow, you should be fine except in the case of a major delay to your Seattle-Heathrow flight. There are so many flights from Heathrow to Edinburgh, anyway, that frankly it's unlikely to matter much if you miss a flight - you'll almost certainly just get put onto the next one.

Globaliser - Thank you SO much for that detailed explanation of what to expect for our connection at Heathrow! My limited experience with international flights made me think that we would go through Customs and Immigration at the first place we enter the country, not at our final destination. Whew - this is MUCH better! My husband loves it when he thinks I know what I'm doing, so you've helped me pull this one off successfully! :)

I really appreciate your help. When I search the message board I know I can count on your suggestions to make my trip easier. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Debbie F.

Hi Debbie - first of all hope you enjoy your stay in Edinburgh.

Your Hotel choice is excellent as the city centre and New Town are in complete chaos at the moment with all the construction for a tram system, They are meant to be suspending some of it during the festival, but it remains to be seen how much. Situated on the Royal mile (in the Old Town) is out of the way of all the construction and you have many great things to do or see on this road alone. You are just ip the road a little bit from Holyrood palace, the Queen's gallery and the Scottish parliament. Further up you have the Museum of Childhood and john Knox's House. A bit further on there is St Giles Cathedral, The High Court, heart of Midlothian, City Chambers (with acces to mary King Close underneath), The Camera Obscura and finally the castle. Only a short detour to Greyfrairs Kirkyard and Greyfriars Bobby Statue. Also very handy for many of the Fringe and Festival venues. Take a trip fown candlmaker Row or Victoria St to the grassmarket, to see some great little shops and pubs and very interesting architecture.

Goody1 - thank you SO much for the Macdonald Holyrood hotel information! I actually "flew" to it's doorstep on Google Earth to get an idea of the location, but couldn't tell how easy it would be to get to the Royal Mile or Castle. I suppose we'll just start out on Saturday morning and by the time we make our way up to the Castle it will be time for the Tattoo! Did you have any favorite places to eat (or drink) along the way?

Debbie

Hi I would advise pre booking for your meal in the festival time.If not you could end up in burger king as the restaraunts will be full. If you can afford it the Withchery is great and you are on the doorstep of the Tattoo. If you like Chinese try the China Town just along the far end of Princess Street at 3 Atholl Place. Really good food and contemporary setting. Try Tigerlillys for a cocktail.

WOW - thank you AmoMondo for the wonderful recommendations in the area of the hotel. I recently bought an Edinburgh map so that I could make a realistic plan for our visit since we won't have a car, so I'll circle your suggestions. I have wanted to visit Edinburgh and see the Tattoo for years, so this should be a highlight of the trip!

Joa - I would never have thought to make dining reservations in advance, but it makes sense with the festivals going on! Having to eat at Burger King would've been VERY disappointing!

Thank you both so much - I've made my online reservation for lunch at The Witchery on the day of the Tattoo!

Debbie

My limited experience with international flights made me think that we would go through Customs and Immigration at the first place we enter the country, not at our final destination.
You're welcome!

There are many countries where you would have to clear both immigration and customs at the first port at which you enter the country.

However, most connections within the EU involve you collecting your bags and clearing customs only at your final destination, even if the connection is international -> domestic.

But it is quite common within the EU to have to clear immigration at the connecting point, as for your Seattle -> Heathrow -> Edinburgh trip.

Archived