Walk to Naples / Livorno Train Stations?

Ok, I think I got this now. Best way to get to the train station in Naples is to catch a cab from outside the port area. Can we walk out of the port, or do we have to take a shuttle? Or, if we want to experience an EXPERIENCE then walk to the train station, and take our lives in our own hands? I think my plan will be to walk (as it sounds like it is only 25 minutes to do that, and it will be an EXPERIENCE), but if a taxi is willing to take us, then we will gladly do that instead!!!! What does everyone else think?

Ok, I think I got this now. Best way to get to the train station in Naples is to catch a cab from outside the port area. Can we walk out of the port, or do we have to take a shuttle? Or, if we want to experience an EXPERIENCE then walk to the train station, and take our lives in our own hands? I think my plan will be to walk (as it sounds like it is only 25 minutes to do that, and it will be an EXPERIENCE), but if a taxi is willing to take us, then we will gladly do that instead!!!! What does everyone else think?

I live in New York City, but after hearing these stories, I vote for the bus! If I have been reading these threads correctly, at the end of the port termiinal we can buy a bus ticket to get to the train station and the nice man who sells us the bus ticket will show us how to get to the bus station. How many people can verify that information?

I live in New York City, but after hearing these stories, I vote for the bus! If I have been reading these threads correctly, at the end of the port termiinal we can buy a bus ticket to get to the train station and the nice man who sells us the bus ticket will show us how to get to the bus station. How many people can verify that information?

Not quite correct, leave the terminal ,straight cross a wide road,you will see the Blue Sita buses parked,,side street is the office where you can buy a ticket.

there is web site for Sita.

Yes we have used this service on many occassion,cheap friendly & reliable,quicker than going to the train station if you want to go to Pompei

Dear Misseus Makkem: Thank you very much for the information. I actually was referring to the city bus (bus #1?) to the train station in Naples. I had not heard of this option. Do you have any idea how much the bus costs round trip? Is it really faster than the train? Wow.

You will walk out of the terminal area. It drops you into the heart of Naples. Have a look at google earth and you will see the terminal (note the ferry lines coming into the area.)

Good luck! You will get the hang of crossing the streets, just watch the Napolitans and you will get the feel for it.

I have not heard of this option either. What exactly is a Sita bus and how much will it cost to get to Pompeii taking one of them. Do they leave at certain times or just when they fill up? How does it all work? I'm excited to know there is a third option!

I have not heard of this option either. What exactly is a Sita bus and how much will it cost to get to Pompeii taking one of them. Do they leave at certain times or just when they fill up? How does it all work? I'm excited to know there is a third option!

SITA is a large tour operator in Australia and Italy. The bus in question is a touring coach with A/C and seats 2 to a side. You can buy the tickets in a Tabac as described. You will not rub shoulders as much with the locals but you will get there for a fraction of the cost of the ships tour.

Dear Misseus Makkem: Thank you very much for the information. I actually was referring to the city bus (bus #1?) to the train station in Naples. I had not heard of this option. Do you have any idea how much the bus costs round trip? Is it really faster than the train? Wow.[/quote

it was 3 euros,but bus travel is cheap,

take in to count, getting to the station ,waiting for a train, much quicker by bus direct from Naples to Pompei, remeber to check your return time. sometimes there could be a lunch break

we have a local Italian restraunt,the owner is from Naples,it was he who told us about the Sita bus

Have done both trips many times,last time, took the Hydrafoil to Amalfi,bus to Sorrento, then train to Naples.

So, let me get this right. Once we exit the port, we cross the road to where the blue buses are (SITA) and go into their office and they will sell us a ticket for 3 Euro to get from Naples to Pompeii. Is this correct? I looked at the SITA site that you posted, but I could not make heads or tails out of it. Can you tell me what time the buses leave from Naples (port area) for Pompeii? Thank you for your help in advance.

So, let me get this right. Once we exit the port, we cross the road to where the blue buses are (SITA) and go into their office and they will sell us a ticket for 3 Euro to get from Naples to Pompeii. Is this correct? I looked at the SITA site that you posted, but I could not make heads or tails out of it. Can you tell me what time the buses leave from Naples (port area) for Pompeii? Thank you for your help in advance.

from the port,cross a busy road the sita buses are parked,off to the left,the booking offce is just of the main street,times approx 30 mins to Pompei,we caught a bus @ 9 am.

returned @ 12.30pm

I am also having difficulty figuring out the schedules they have posted on the website. Our ship doesn't arrive until 9AM on a Wednesday in May. As near as I can tell, there wouldn't be a SITA bus until 1030, but not sure I am reading correctly. If that is the case, the train would be quicker. Anyone know????

Reading the previous post brings up the issue of flexibility. When you get off the ship, you might just go over and check the current bus schedule, and if that is not a good option you can walk, take the local bus, or grab a taxi to the train station. We have sometimes found that on-line timetables for European bus lines are not accurate.

Hank

I am also having difficulty figuring out the schedules they have posted on the website. Our ship doesn't arrive until 9AM on a Wednesday in May. As near as I can tell, there wouldn't be a SITA bus until 1030, but not sure I am reading correctly. If that is the case, the train would be quicker. Anyone know????

Thank you for your very valuable information. The Sita seems to be the way to go, for a very reasonable price. The website appears to have an error and they don't post information for any buses to Pompeii before 10:30 am, but I think it was an error. It appears that they posted the reverse bus route in error for that time slot. I will check it out as soon as we get off the ship. I have a fear of highway driving, but everyone says that driving along the coast is breathtaking. The convenience and cost of this bus service sounds too good to pass up. During the bus ride, I may even open my eyes and look at the view (maybe, just maybe:confused:!!) Thank you.

Thank you for your very valuable information. The Sita seems to be the way to go, for a very reasonable price. The website appears to have an error and they don't post information for any buses to Pompeii before 10:30 am, but I think it was an error. It appears that they posted the reverse bus route in error for that time slot. I will check it out as soon as we get off the ship. I have a fear of highway driving, but everyone says that driving along the coast is breathtaking. The convenience and cost of this bus service sounds too good to pass up. During the bus ride, I may even open my eyes and look at the view (maybe, just maybe:confused:!!) Thank you.

If you are just going to Pompeii, the land is flat! You might as well open your eyes and enjoy the scenery.

Yes the web shows the regional Sita service,the Pompei is just a local regular service.

HLitner posting re timetables was well posted

enjoy.

I still think a walk to the station is the best - I wouldn't have missed it for the world - it's not dangerous, just a lot of fun.

I took the SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano. The bus was comfortable though crowded as they picked people up along the way. There is no narration or anything so it is bascially a little nicer than taking Greyhound, but it gets you there and cheaply.

Will you be posting the results of your SITA experience once you get back from your cruise vacation?

Contact me directly on or after May 1. bgallet at america on line dot com. I think the website has an error, but it appears as if the buses run approx. every 30 minutes. I will get off the ship, walk over to the SITA location and find out how long it will take for the next bus and plan accordingly. I have walking directions to the train station as a fall back measure.

Archived