Hawaii?? Best time of year to visit

DTC

Weather wise, what months are good for moderate temperatures (70-80's). We are planning on booking a cruise to Hawaii, just wondering what time of year is good to book.

We were there in November and the weather was perfect. Never too hot that you felt uncomfortable. Never so cold that you needed a jacket (this was on land, don't know about at sea.)

I know several people that have gone there in January-February and they all complained about the rain. I guess it rained every day, sometimes all day. Maybe they had bad years but I personally won't take the chance and will only go Sept-Nov.

We were there in November and the weather was perfect. Never too hot that you felt uncomfortable. Never so cold that you needed a jacket (this was on land, don't know about at sea.)

I know several people that have gone there in January-February and they all complained about the rain. I guess it rained every day, sometimes all day. Maybe they had bad years but I personally won't take the chance and will only go Sept-Nov.

That's great to hear because I'll be there for my honeymoon Nov. 9-18th, so hopefully it's just as nice this Nov. as when you were there!!!

Weather wise, what months are good for moderate temperatures (70-80's). We are planning on booking a cruise to Hawaii, just wondering what time of year is good to book.

We were on a Hawaiian cruise from 5/21 - 5/31 and the weather was absolutely fantastic. Shorts & sleeveless tops the whole time. Don't remember any rain except for the day we were at Fanning Island (1024 miles south of Hawaii). The rest of the time the weather was in the 70's to low 80's.

I lived in Hawaii for a year. The temperature doesn't change much. It is cooler and wetter in the winter months, but not much cooler.

Just don't go during Xmas/President's Day/holiday periods. Everything is overcrowded. The rest of the year is fine.

Spend more time on the outer islands than Oahu. There is much to do and it is really different. For a honeymoon, the trip up Mauna Kea (usually leaves about 3:00PM) is really good. As is the trip to Haleakala crater for the sunrise. Road to Hana should NOT be missed (you can drive a rental car all the way around BUT rental car agreements do NOT support breaking down/accidents on the dirt road from the 7 falls area back to the main road, so be careful) Enjoy!!!!

Temperature wise, there is not a bad time of year to go to Hawaii, temps honestly vary only a couple of degrees through out the year (love it). Rain is totally hit and misses in the winter. We always go to Maui mid February and never had more than an hour of rain at the most. Friends that went a week before one year got flooded. You just don’t ever know.

Here are some yearly averages for Maui:

histGraphNormals?ID=PHOG&records=on&normals=on&lastyear=off

Late winter/early spring will give you more of a chance of seeing humpback whales---they come to the Hawaiian Islands to give birth, but are pretty much gone by late April.

We did the Maui trip---since you're from the E. coast, plan on doing the sunrise on Haleakela (sp!!!) on your 1st full night. Jet-lag will make it easy to get up at 4am and board the bus for the ride to the top of the mountain!

Hawaii is beautiful! Have a great trip!

I prefer Spring or late Fall. Mid-Summer is just too much humidity for me. Sometimes even into November you can get some humidity.

I have found March/April is my preferred time, but will be going May/June this year. Hope it's not too terribly humid.

Thank you very much! Which island did you stay on? We'll be on Maui...

We did 5 days on Oahu, 3 days on Kauai, and 7 days on the Big Island split between Hilo and Kona. Everything was amazing. It is now my favourite place to go. We were supposed to go again this coming fall but my aunt and uncle want us to go on an all-expenses-paid cruise with them for their anniversary. I guess we'll have to suffer. ;)

Completely off topic, but I would suggest the book "Maui Revealed" by Andrew Doughty. And one for any other Hawaiian island you visit. We used them and they are just fantastic. Excellent detail and it tells you about places in the order that you would come to them if you were driving. Can't say enough good things about his books.

Have been there on land vacations in February (we got rain in Kauai) and November (that was our honeymoon, and it rain in Honolulu, and maybe Kauai). We were on the round trip out of LA in December a few years ago and didn't get any rain at all, not even in Hilo. Was in the high 70s/low 80s with partly cloudy skies.

We waiting for the Princess schedule to come out for '10-11 to see which ship is doing this itinerary as we want to go again.

Archived