Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

[quote name='fred and di']Hi, I'm Fred and I am a whiner. That being said, I have not posted previously on this topic, but I do have a couple of thoughts on the topic. Firstly, with 17 RCCL cruises under our belts, 230 shares of basically worthless RCCL stock, and the ever popular RCCL credit card, you can most likey surmise that we are perk/discount shoppers. BUT, we have paid for every one of those perks/discounts. Now, to our fellow whiners: With the present day media circus, looking under rocks to provide spectacular newsy stories, do you think that some well worded letters to 60 Minutes, or Dateline, would provide some spotlight focus on RCCL and their so called "Loyalty Program"? I don't think RCCL would be interested in that kind of publicity. I know, they can do as they please and take perks away, and we can spend our money elsewhere, but what my wife and I truely long for is RCCL as it used to be a long time ago, when it meant something to cruise with them. We are hurt by the fact that our patronage means absolutey nothing to them. We want our cruiseline back![/quote]

Hi Fred
I've been reading some of these posts but I just have to comment on yours. I have been on about the same number of Royal Caribbean cruises as you and I am confused as to how the recent changes in the diamond program relate to how RCI "used to be" As I remember it there were no concierge lounges on ships until 1999 when Voyager first sailed. I was not diamond then but I don't believe that there was a $200.00 credit to be combined or not with any other discount coupons. I don't think there was a Royal Caribbean credit card to use then that would allow you to build up on board credit points. I'm pretty sure that in the days prior to Voyager class if you didn't eat at the dining room or the windjammer, you didn't eat. I remember in those days that if you didn't want to just lay out in the sun on a sea day or maybe shoot a shotgun at a clay pigeon there just wasn't much to do. What we did get to do in those days was pay as much or more for a cruise as what we pay to cruise today on ships that offer far more for the money. I just don't understand it when people say that they wish RCI and/or cruising were the way they used to be. The perks and treats that this thread is so concerned about didn't exist 11 years ago and the many other perks that are still in place didn't exist then either.

[quote name='texlatin1']IMO, I believe the general consensus here would be that WE ALL like to feel a bit special when we're on a cruise. After all, it's a hard earned vacation that many of us enjoy so much. Although I am an avid RCI cruiser, I have sailed with other cruise lines and for the most part, enjoyed their product but not as much as RCI. It's a bit sad that so many are leaving for reasons which to them are valid and that's their prerogative. Whether we all agree to disagree, one thing should be very clear. That is that no matter who we choose to sail with, it should solely be based on the fact that we want that cruise to be a memorable and enjoyable one! PERIOD! If for the many of the folks that have staunchly claimed their feeling of being taken advantage of for being loyal to Royal, leave on a basis as a simple slap in the face to RCI, what/who is that really going to affect? Sure RCI will lose some business, but keep in mind that over 30% of the population have never cruised so there is still room to make up for that in the future (as do the other cruise lines as well).

Listen, leave if you want to but go take your vacation based on what will make you happy and with a cruise line that you feel will give you that. I hope people are not canceling and hoping to find what they've lost with RCI in other cruise lines because you won't. For what they're worth, each cruise line has their own pro's and con's as many of you may know. To say one is better than the other is opinion based but so many posts I've read here mention that a certain cruise was canceled and then immediately rebooked with another cruise line. Wow, I can't even begin to think of how I can change my plans that fast and find an alternative cruise that will make up for it. I'd have rather canceled completely and took a while to review many other options!

Loyalty programs are offered on other cruise lines and although RCI's may not be so great anymore, I believe their cruise product as whole certainly is. I will continue to book my cruises primarily with RCI because they're MY first choice! I love the new ships, their new itineraries and of course, the many crew I've made friends with in the past that I personally believe enjoy ME coming back time and again. I have certainly enjoyed THEM. This coming May 22 :cool:will be my return to the Rhapsody on my first Alaska cruise. I sailed on her many times when she had the Galveston itinerary and enjoyed it thoroughly. I can't wait to go back on to see my old and certainly new friends on the ship. That to me means loyalty and it's not what I can get out of it in the form of a CL or a coupon booklet or a Balcony discount, it's more what I take from it to bring back home with me after the cruise...A FANTASTIC VOYAGE!

Just my "other" two cents!

Peace,
Ace[/quote]

[quote name='BUBBAD']I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL PAST AND FUTURE CRUISERS KNOW WHAT CHANGES ROYAL CARIBBEAN IS MAKING TO THE CROWN AND ANCHOR SOCIETY PROGRAM. IN THE PAST DIAMOND LEVEL WAS ACHIEVED AFTER TAKING TEN CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. THIS LEVEL CAME WITH SOME PERKS. THESE PERKS INCLUDED THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE AND THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE EACH AFTERNOON FROM 5:00 - 8:30 FOR COCKTAILS AND SNACKS. ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS NOW DECIDED THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE CROWD AND IS TAKING THIS PRIVILEGE AWAY FROM ALL DIAMOND MEMBERS ON ALL BUT THREE OF THEIR CURRENT 20 SHIPS. THEIR MAIN STATED REASON FOR THESE CHANGES IS THAT THEIR IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR THE SUITE PASSENGERS IN THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE. KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SUITE PASSENGERS COULD MOST LIKELY BE ON THEIR FIRST CRUISE ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. I GUESS ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS DECIDED THAT THESE FIRST TIME PASSENGERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE LOYAL RETURN CRUISERS WHO HAVE SAILED OVER TEN TIMES WITH RCCL. MY WIFE AND I HAVE TAKEN 22 CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND FIND THIS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. WE HAVE A LARGE FAMILY WITH EIGHT DIAMOND MEMBERS WHO HAVE IN TOTAL OVER 140 CRUISES ON RCCL. WE WERE ON THREE CRUISES LAST YEAR, ALL OF THEM ON SMALLER SHIPS AND THEY HAD WORKED OUT THE CROWDING PROBLEM QUITE NICELY. FROM 5:00-8:30 THEY WOULD OPEN UP ONE OF THE UNUSED LOUNGES FOR DIAMOND MEMBERS TO ENJOY DRINKS AND SNACKS. IT WASN'T CROWED, AND ON ALL THREE CRUISES WE HAD NO PROBLEMS. NOW I GUESS THEY HAVE DECIDED TO USE THE CROWDING AS AN EXCUSE TO DISCONTINUE THIS PERK. IT SEEMS THAT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR HAS TAKEN OVER IN THEIR DECISION MAKING PROCESS. THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE WAS ALSO A VERY NICE PERK FOR GETTING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS AND SOLVING SMALL PROBLEMS. THIS TO IS NOW GOING AWAY. AS A LOYAL LONG TIME SUPPORTER OF ROYAL CARIBBEAN I FIND THESE CHANGES A SLAP IN THE FACE. MY FAMILY HAS SAILED OVER 140 TIMES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND HAS SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TAKING CRUISES TO ACHIEVE THE DIAMOND LEVEL THEY PROMISED. NOW WITH VERY LITTLE CONSIDERATION THEY HAVE PUT US IN THE CATEGORY OF "JUST ANOTHER PASSENGER". THANKS FOR NOTHING ROYAL CARIBBEAN. WE WON'T BE SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY ON YOUR CRUISE LINE !!! :mad::mad::mad:[/quote]

Last night CNBC had an interesting program on Norwegian Cruise Lines. At the end their VP stated that keeping repeat passengers is a very important goal.:cool: It's a shame that RCCL's marketing department doesn't share that concept.:(

[quote name='coxswain']

4/ Yes - will i be talking about it on board - you bet !!

jj......[/quote]

I don't think any of your fellow cruisers will want to hear the whining. Remember most people go on vacation to relax and enjoy away from home, work and whining....:cool::rolleyes::p

[quote name='mojitodiva']I don't think any of your fellow cruisers will want to hear the whining. Remember most people go on vacation to relax and enjoy away from home, work and whining....:cool::rolleyes::p[/QUOTE]

Why would you consider it whining ? i'd only be asking them had they heard about the changes !!

[quote name='Cahroozer']Some friendly advice from the wise proverb:

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."[/QUOTE]

I like this better

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves"

jj.....

[quote name='mojitodiva']I don't think any of your fellow cruisers will want to hear the whining. Remember most people go on vacation to relax and enjoy away from home, work and whining....:cool::rolleyes::p[/QUOTE]

Whining? Where have I heard that before? What does that mean? Talking Points maybe?

I believe he is saying that many Diamond Members on cruises prior to July 1, 2009 may not be aware of the changes. I never received an e-mail. I only learned about the changes from CC. Most Diamonds are not on CC. He would be doing them a favor by letting them know about the changes. That is not whining.

I will say the more the name calling goes on against upset Diamond Members (Whiners), the more pathetic it sounds. Pretty soon the term "whiner" will have lost all insult and y'all will have to come up with another term. Just wait for your talking points. I am sure they will be arriving soon.

[quote name='kyriecat']I think the point is why bother sending the balcony and suite coupons to platinum and diamond members UNLESS the amount $$$ off the cruise is actually greater than the member's balcony discount. It does seem rather pointless to send a coupon for $100 off a balcony cabin to me if I already get $200 off for being a diamond C&A. I figured RC keeps sending the coupons in the hopes that someone won't realize the non-combination changes that have occurred and will use the coupon for their cruise. That way the cruiser ends up with less money off because the higher balcony discount will be removed and the lower coupon value applied.

I think they should continue to issue the inside and ocean view coupons to everyone, but limit the balcony coupons to gold C&A members.[/QUOTE]

That's strange. I am Diamond Plus and have yet to get a coupon for a balcony or suite discount - the coupons I receive are for certain sailing dates on certain ships and have a different value depending on which level cabin I book. Is there something else I should be getting?

[quote name='coxswain']If you don't want to take part in the discussion feel free to move on.

Some of us aren't and we'll carry on the discussion.

jj.......[/quote]

Speaking of moving on.....I am glad you have FINALLY refrained from your 25 posts a day stating you "still haven't received your email from RCI" :D But unfortunately you continue to post replies with little to no input to the "discussion" :rolleyes: ...... much like this one doesn't! :p

[quote name='Benita']That's strange. I am Diamond Plus and have yet to get a coupon for a balcony or suite discount - the coupons I receive are for certain sailing dates on certain ships and have a different value depending on which level cabin I book. Is there something else I should be getting?[/quote]

I don't think so. It is my understanding that when you book your cruise you put in your C&A number for the discount. We will be doing this, if you book on Royal Caribbean, for the first time in a couple of days. I'm not sure if you have to call C&A for the discount or if it is automatically applied.

I'm always a bit shy about started new threads to ask questions around here. :rolleyes:

[quote name='scotmonson']Hi Fred
I've been reading some of these posts but I just have to comment on yours. I have been on about the same number of Royal Caribbean cruises as you and I am confused as to how the recent changes in the diamond program relate to how RCI "used to be" As I remember it there were no concierge lounges on ships until 1999 when Voyager first sailed. I was not diamond then but I don't believe that there was a $200.00 credit to be combined or not with any other discount coupons. I don't think there was a Royal Caribbean credit card to use then that would allow you to build up on board credit points. I'm pretty sure that in the days prior to Voyager class if you didn't eat at the dining room or the windjammer, you didn't eat. I remember in those days that if you didn't want to just lay out in the sun on a sea day or maybe shoot a shotgun at a clay pigeon there just wasn't much to do. What we did get to do in those days was pay as much or more for a cruise as what we pay to cruise today on ships that offer far more for the money. I just don't understand it when people say that they wish RCI and/or cruising were the way they used to be. The perks and treats that this thread is so concerned about didn't exist 11 years ago and the many other perks that are still in place didn't exist then either.[/quote]

STOP MAKING SENSE!!!!! :eek:

it is a shame that the cruise line has done this,,Carnival has concierge lounges and they still operate them without any cutbacks or takebacks ! they should reconsider that decision or they will lose alot of loyal customers to Carnival ! :mad:

[quote name='cruzendude']Speaking of moving on.....I am glad you have FINALLY refrained from your 25 posts a day stating you "still haven't received your email from RCI" :D But unfortunately you continue to post replies with little to no input to the "discussion" :rolleyes: ...... much like this one doesn't! :p[/QUOTE]

Maybe you could check your facts - i don't remember stating that 25 times in one day !!

Thats your view - don't let me keep you from the other threads on this forum.

jj....

[quote name='scotmonson']Hi Fred
As I remember it there were no concierge lounges on ships until 1999 when Voyager first sailed. [/quote]

Oops. I didn't realize that the Voyager sailed before the Radiance. My C&A application form shows that the Diamond level people received the Concierge Lounge benefit at least as early as January 2002. But did they receive that perk between November of 1999 (Voyager Maiden voyage) and January 2002, or was the CL reserved only for suite passengers during that year? Was anyone here cruising as a Diamond in 2001 aboard Voyager or Radiance?:rolleyes:

[quote name='TRadle']I don't think so. It is my understanding that when you book your cruise you put in your C&A number for the discount. We will be doing this, if you book on Royal Caribbean, for the first time in a couple of days. I'm not sure if you have to call C&A for the discount or if it is automatically applied.

I'm always a bit shy about started new threads to ask questions around here. :rolleyes:[/quote]

You do need to call the C&A desk after making your reservation to get the balcony discount; it is not automatic.

[quote name='cruisenfever']You're right, this is most confusing

[SIZE=2]Our Platinum and Diamond members also will continue to receive discounts on suite category staterooms including the recently introduced [/SIZE][URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#336699]upgraded services and amenities for suite guests[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2]. [/SIZE]

[/quote]
[SIZE=4]personally if you are a diamond cruiser each member should receive a diamond necklace or tie tac for spending all that money having a fun time on their dime. at least they need to give you all somthing to come back to, if i was the president I would rather give somthing back to Loyal members who will come back again and again and cut my losses, but you know its a business thing and they can not do that its all about saving and the money thing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Red:([/SIZE]

[quote name='sealord']Oops. I didn't realize that the Voyager sailed before the Radiance. My C&A application form shows that the Diamond level people received the Concierge Lounge benefit at least as early as January 2002. But did they receive that perk between November of 1999 (Voyager Maiden voyage) and January 2002, or was the CL reserved only for suite passengers during that year? Was anyone here cruising as a Diamond in 2001 aboard Voyager or Radiance?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

When were on the Voyager, November 2002, had a B suite which now a Grand Suite, only got one cruise credit and as I remember only suite people allowed in the CL.

[quote name='Ladylouwho']Whining? Where have I heard that before? What does that mean? Talking Points maybe?

I believe he is saying that many Diamond Members on cruises prior to July 1, 2009 may not be aware of the changes. I never received an e-mail. I only learned about the changes from CC. Most Diamonds are not on CC. He would be doing them a favor by letting them know about the changes. That is not whining.

I will say the more the name calling goes on against upset Diamond Members (Whiners), the more pathetic it sounds. Pretty soon the term "whiner" will have lost all insult and y'all will have to come up with another term. Just wait for your talking points. I am sure they will be arriving soon.[/quote]

Yep, you said it. :D I know I keep saying this but I cannot understand why [I]some[/I] Diamond Plus people are so ignorant and continue to ridicule, blame and even gloat about keeping their CL access. You know there is one on this thread that just cannot stop taunting. I believe [U]99.5[/U]% of the Diamond Plus people that I have read with an opinion on this have been kind and gracious and I expected as much from them since I've had the fortunate opportunity to meet and make lasting friendships with many I have met over the years. I know, there are bad apples everywhere and even some on the [I]other[/I] side. :eek:

People venting make more sense to me than people that don't have an issue taunting them.

[quote name='medic23w']it is a shame that the cruise line has done this,,Carnival has concierge lounges and they still operate them without any cutbacks or takebacks ! they should reconsider that decision or they will lose alot of loyal customers to Carnival ! :mad:[/quote]

Since when did Carnival add Concierge lounges to their ships?

[quote name='ChevyCruiser']Well said. Same here. I have enough ill-fitting Crap and Anchor hats and cheap picture frames anyway. RCCL has leveled the playing field to the point that I can now see all the other cruise lines out there.

Father Guido Sarducci's Five Minute University course in Business 101 stated: It's always cheaper to [B]KEEP[/B] a customer than to [B]FIND[/B] a new one. And, never give your customers a reason to try your competition.

Knowledge that seems to be lacking at RCCL.

:D[/quote]

Father Guido Sarducci was always my hero. :)

His "picka the popes outta the pizza contest" was the best ever.

[quote name='sealord']Perhaps the vacation, but perhaps not the food. Some family just completed 35 days B2B on Rhapsody and absolutely loved the itinerary and the "cruise". The food she said was awful ... lost ten pounds! How do you lose ten pounds on a 35 day cruise?:rolleyes:[/quote]

What cracks me up with the the "newley disenfranchised" cheerleaders here is now you point out all of of RCI's shortcomings which only makes you look foolish for cruising them exclusively and so often previously! :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, look, everyone has the right to their opinion--that is the nature of a board such as this.

I guess one of the things that I have a problem with is that some of the most vociferous posters here cheering the changes to C + A have but a handful of cruises under their belts, some who have never even seen the inside of a RCL ship, berating those with hundreds--and probably [I]thousands [/I]of cruises considering well over 3000 posts.

It's kind of like, "this has been taken away from US, not you, so come on in, make your feeling known, but you're really are NOT affected so no need to keep banging your 'its no big deal' drum."

We were on three cruises last year on smaller rccl ships and they had solved the problem. They used one of the available lounges from 5:00-8:30 for drinks and snacks. Very easy and wroked great. Now thats gone to. Bad move on theri part.

[quote name='Buccaneergirl'][SIZE=3][B]Just got back from a short trip to West Palm and Boca for spring break and had a very interesting experience at our hotel........[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][B]When we checked in, the woman behind the desk handed my husband an envelope and it was an invitation to the manager's welcome reception for that night. My husband stays in this hotel often(once a month) for business and the woman said that the reception was a new perk for Marriott Elite members. We go to the reception and the hotel manager and sales staff are there greeting everyone, there is a great spread of food and an open bar!:eek: It was a wonderful way to feel appreciated and it is nice to see that not everyone is cutting back on their perks to their loyal customers.[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][B]My husbands comment was that Royal Caribbean needs to take a lesson from this hotel!:DLol![/B][/SIZE][/quote]

Good post..
You are 100% correct.
And, I bet the next time you go to that area you will choose
the Marriott again.

It works that way.
Funny how that is..

F.Y.I. When I was flying (in my career.)
I always selected HILTON HOTELs for their Loyality program for my stays.
HH points, because I could "double dip" with United Airline miles and, Hilton
Points...That is the best hotel program I.M.H.O.

After retirement, we all went to Hawaii..flew out on UNITED and, stayed
at the HILTON Hawaiian Village...GREAT hotel on Oahu.
Now, as a retired guy, I still STAY in Hilton hotels.
We just returned from Las Vegas for a 4 day "get-a-way".
Where'd we stay? The Las Vegas HILTON of course.
Plenty of GREAT hotels in Las Vegas...but, we naturally choose
Hilton because of their Loyality program.

I know Hilton's HH loyality program appreciates us,
and, I always stay Hilton when I can, just because of that!

Archived