If you're scheduled to dock in Grand Cayman,

lacruiser

here is the response to my query to RCI about whether or not the port was still scheduled for the Grandeur 12/11 sailing:

"For the month of November, Grand Cayman is expected to accept two cruise ships per day, across all cruise lines. We are working with the Cayman port authority to confirm as many of our scheduled calls as possible for the next month. As we do not expect to get all of our previously scheduled Cayman calls confirmed, our highest priority is to confirm Cayman for the ships with the least attractive alternative ports, to minimize impact to our guests. While we would like to be able to announce the next month worth of information, the port authority is unable to confirm that far out. It is quite a task that the island is dealing with and we are currently working on a week-to-week informational basis. Please contact our Reservations department at 1-800-327-6700 or your travel agent as your sail date approaches for further information.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International."

So, evidently even though our sailing is shown on the Cayman Port Authority link, it isn't "confirmed". I have a friend who just returned from the Thanksgiving week cruise on Grandeur; they went to Key West, then tried to dock in Costa Maya but were unable to due to "high winds" (although friend says seas were calm), and ended up spending 3 days in Cozumel! Oh well, any day on a ship is better than a day at home, but I hope we get to go to Cayman!

We were on the RCI Mariner two weeks ago and visited GC on 11/11. It was the first day 4 ships were allowed into port. Also a Celebrity ship that was told before they set sail that they would not be going to Grand Cayman, did in fact tender to shore. The roads are fine, electricity is still out in various sections on the island. The vegetation is ruined as are many hotels, homes & businesses. If you make advance plans and spend a little of your tourist dollars in GC, it will help their economy rise more quickly.

Bon Voyage

everyone has this great love for grand cayman and i don't get it. i feel bad that the island got smacked by the hurricane - we were just there on thursday aboard mariner. i'm sorry but they are not ready for tourists yet, the place is in ruins. and besides, there is no other port that i've been to on a western caribbean cruise, i've been on 3, that the sidewalks are so obnoxiously crowded and tendering back to the sh ips takes so long and all the s hips tender from the same spot. next time i go to cayman, i'll stay on the ship.

I have to agree with FlowerGirl -- Grand Cayman is my least favorite port on the Western Caribbean route. My heart does go out to them with the problems they have been experiencing with the hurricane's devastation. But I'd love it if we went to Key West instead, or better yet 3 days in Cozumel would be heaven!! However, wherever we wind up, I'll still have a great time!

Beth

Just got off the grandeur on 12/4...The ships televised message page on the TV showed that they planned on being in Key West on 12/13/2004. I noticed that posted on the nautical notes television channel...I found it interesting that they would post that information one week out, yet their website still shows they are going to the caymens....The 11/27 sailing went to Cozumel, Caymens and Porta Maya...No problems ..but I agree that they caymens (although nice) is not quite ready for tourists, BUT THEY NEED THE DOLLARS...please feel free to post questions..our family of four had a wonderful time and the ship was great!!!!!!!!Any complaints we had were very minor....getting on and off the ship was very hassel free....now we must sufer through PCD (post cruise depression) for awhile....

I visited Cayman on the Mariner on Nov 25th. Though the island is still devastated from the hurricane, it was functional. We did the stingray city tour and since it was a water excursion all was fine. The island residents need the tourists $$'s and I think cruisers are the best way to start bringing some of the money back. At least the island only has to provide services for tourists during the day, not as much of a requirement as having them stay there in hotels.

Capt Marvins provided a great excursion and I was happy to help their economy get back on track.

We are schedule to ride the Enchantment of the Seas. We originally scheduled the last week in October and did so last year. After 3 months we were told that the ship was chartered and we had to choose from one of two alternate dates. We have a group of 17 and RCCL does not seem to care how this affects travelers. Two weeks ago, we were told we would be going to Cayman Islands and this week we were told no. Instead they chose to go to Nassau. I would have rather gone to the keys but it appears the staff in the upper office at RCCL does not want to earn any bonus points for this cruise.

I have cruised many lines including their Celebrity, which I would take again over Royal.

Remember it's not always the Capt's or corporate office that makes these decisions. The individual port authorities dictate how many ships can come in at any time. Key West is considering further limitation of the number of cruisers per day. Personally I think Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Nassau should all reduce the numbers considerably. Six to eight ships at one time is ridiculous.

Archived