Kick it up a notch?

Does your workout intensity change while on a cruise?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Does your workout intensity change while on a cruise?

• Yes, I try to workout harder or longer than normal
    • No, I stick to my same workout
    • I workout less while on a cruise
    • I don't workout at all

When I'm on a cruise I don't want to spend a lot of time in the gym, but at the same time I'm aware that my calorie intake is higher than normal. With this in mind I find myself increasing the intensity of my workouts. Does anyone else find themselves doing the same?

Does anyone have some good tips/suggestions on how to burn maximum calories without spending all day in the gym?

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have some good tips/suggestions on how to burn maximum calories without spending all day in the gym?

Do your workout early. Rev your body up for the rest of the day.

2 ways to burn more calories without spending all day in the gym:

First, add a weight routine for core and multiple muscles...dumbbell press for chest, seated rows or bent over dumbbell rows for back, dumbbell squats for legs. You're using multiple muscles and muscles continue to burn more calories after exercise than cardio. I say use dumbbells instead of free weights because there's no bar rack to assist you using bars and you can only get 60 lbs total on a bar. I prefer dumbbells and free weights to machines because machine isolate only certain muscles and when you do things in real life you're not isolating a certain muscle, you're using several. Also leave the bicep, tricep, leg curls at home. You're not toning for Mr/Ms Olympia and these are relatively small muscles that don't burn a lot of calories or do you a lot of good in isolation. Start this routine on land before your cruise and get help on technique. 3 exercises, 3 sets of 5-10 reps at 70-80% of your max 1 rep weight, with 2 minutes between sets. 20 minutes of time.

The second way to increase caloric burn is to do cardio at a steady rate of 60-70% of your max heart rate for at least 30 minutes if not longer. It takes about 20 minutes just to get beyond burning your glycogen stores and into burning fat. So say you do 40 minutes.

In and out of the gym in about an hour and you're on to the rest of your day.

I agree ^

I'm actually planning on bringing a typed up version of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred - I might bring all 3 levels. Each level only takes 20 minutes and combines circuit training, cardio, and abs - it burns a ton of cals and also, like the person above me said, since you're working multi muscle groups @ once, you're burning more cals. I recommend this workout to anyone who is short on time and wants to incporate a little of everything. I plan on doing this in the gym since there are dumbells, but if you feel really weird about doing it in public, you could always bring your own dumbells, even tho they'd weigh down your suitcase - or you might even be able to take the dumbells back to your room. That's another thing about this workout - it barely requires any room to move around. The most space that is taken up is for pushups, which can easily be done in front of the bed.

• 2 months later...
Do your workout early. Rev your body up for the rest of the day.

2 ways to burn more calories without spending all day in the gym:

First, add a weight routine for core and multiple muscles...dumbbell press for chest, seated rows or bent over dumbbell rows for back, dumbbell squats for legs. You're using multiple muscles and muscles continue to burn more calories after exercise than cardio. I say use dumbbells instead of free weights because there's no bar rack to assist you using bars and you can only get 60 lbs total on a bar. I prefer dumbbells and free weights to machines because machine isolate only certain muscles and when you do things in real life you're not isolating a certain muscle, you're using several. Also leave the bicep, tricep, leg curls at home. You're not toning for Mr/Ms Olympia and these are relatively small muscles that don't burn a lot of calories or do you a lot of good in isolation. Start this routine on land before your cruise and get help on technique. 3 exercises, 3 sets of 5-10 reps at 70-80% of your max 1 rep weight, with 2 minutes between sets. 20 minutes of time.

The second way to increase caloric burn is to do cardio at a steady rate of 60-70% of your max heart rate for at least 30 minutes if not longer. It takes about 20 minutes just to get beyond burning your glycogen stores and into burning fat. So say you do 40 minutes.

In and out of the gym in about an hour and you're on to the rest of your day.

Thanks for the tips! I'm keep that in mind in Feb.

Archived