Questions about "Upsell"

ffej

I'm new to Canival's board and our family is looking into our first cruise on Carnival. I have read a few threads that talk about getting an "upsell" call from Carnival before your cruise. I can assume that they are trying to get you to pay for an upgrade, but can someone confirm my assumption? On average: 1) how long before your cruise do they call 2) does this happen for most people on most cruises or is it somewhat rare 3) are they really good deals or is it just the normal price difference between catagories (an example of an offer that you received would be helpful) 4) do you have a better chance of receiving a call if you book directly w/ Carnival?

Thanks for the information.

I'm new to Canival's board and our family is looking into our first cruise on Carnival. I have read a few threads that talk about getting an "upsell" call from Carnival before your cruise. I can assume that they are trying to get you to pay for an upgrade, but can someone confirm my assumption? On average: 1) how long before your cruise do they call 2) does this happen for most people on most cruises or is it somewhat rare 3) are they really good deals or is it just the normal price difference between catagories (an example of an offer that you received would be helpful) 4) do you have a better chance of receiving a call if you book directly w/ Carnival?

Yes, upSELL to a higher category. Sometimes it is a pretty good discount.

As far as how long before cruise, it depends on many factors whether you or anyone gets a call. If you book thru a TA, Carnival will not call you.

All of the upsells I know of were to folks who booked direct with Carnival. CC is such a small percentage of folks, no way to determine percentage, but Id say a very small percent. Most of the upsells seem to be to suites for less than you would otherwise pay. so if your cruise is selling well or doesnt have suites, its unlikely you would be called. Some pay as little as $100 on a short cruise or a couple of hundred per person from a extended balcony to a suite. The folks posting here trying to decide seem to already have paid for really good cabins, so they come and ask what should they do.

I'm new to Canival's board and our family is looking into our first cruise on Carnival. I have read a few threads that talk about getting an "upsell" call from Carnival before your cruise. I can assume that they are trying to get you to pay for an upgrade, but can someone confirm my assumption? On average: 1) how long before your cruise do they call

They can call anytime. It is based on supple and demand.

2) does this happen for most people on most cruises or is it somewhat rare

Again supply and demand. But we have cruised several times and have never got an upgrade or an up sell call. Probably because we get great deals on our rooms already. So we would have to pay a lot more to up sell.

3) are they really good deals or is it just the normal price difference between catagories (an example of an offer that you received would be helpful)

They are sometimes really good deals and sometimes they are not. For some people paying $700 to move up to a suite is a great deal. Others have said no to $200 saying they would rather have the money to spend on the cruise

4) do you have a better chance of receiving a call if you book directly w/ Carnival?

I would think so but I have seen on here where some got the call even though they were booked through a TA

Good Luck!

I have not received any calls either. We paid quite a bit for the 2nd cruise too :rolleyes:

This one in December is quite a savings, so I don't expect a call. I will say we have never picked a guaranty either. Each room and location has been decided so I don't know if that plays a part in their decision making or not.

Seems like when they offered the guaranty rooms, there were some great upgrades given!

I received my "upsale" call this afternoon about 4 p.m. I booked almost one year ago for our cruise that leaves on April 5. I originally booked an 8B. Carnival reclassified the Spirit class ships so, my 8B became an 8C. When the price went down after final payment, I called my PVP and was upgraded (for free) to an 8F. After the upsale call, I am now in a category 12 penthouse suite for $600 more for the 2 of us. This is my 8th Carnival cruise, and my first call. I am SOOO excited!!!

Archived